R2 Qualifier Tyrone v Armagh

Started by ONeill, June 28, 2014, 07:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Armagh's best chance in yonks. 10-15 unproven at this level. Fcuk.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

naka

Quote from: ONeill on July 10, 2014, 09:35:33 PM
Armagh's best chance in yonks. 10-15 unproven at this level. Fcuk.
Having read the comments this week from the red hand masses I feel a little more comfortable
We will get within 5 points of them as they march on a fourth all ireland
It is such an honour to be on the same pitch as them

Archie Mitchell

9 from East Tyrone on the starting 15?  :o :o :o

Rodman

Quote from: tyroneman on July 10, 2014, 08:34:47 PM
And here we go.........

1 – Niall Morgan – Éadan na dTorc
2 – Aidan McCrory – Aireagal Chiaráin
3 – Ronan McNamee – Achadh Uí Aráin
4 – PJ Quinn – Baile na Móna
5 – Ronan McNabb – An Droim Mhór
6 – Matthew Donnelly – Trí Leac
7 – Justin McMahon – An Omaigh
8 – Colm Cavanagh – An Mhaigh
9 – Sean Cavanagh (C) – An Mhaigh
10 – Emmett McKenna – Eaglais
11 – Kyle Coney – Ard Bó
12 – Ciaran McGinley – Aireagal Chiaráin
13 – Darren McCurry – Éadán na dTorc
14 – Niall McKenna – Domhnach Mór
15 – Connor McAliskey – Cluain Eo
16 – Michael O'Neill – Cluain Eo
17 – Mark Donnelly – An Charraig Mhór
18 – Barry Tierney – An Omaigh
19 – Martin Penrose – An Charraig Mhór
20 – Conor Gormley – An Charraig Mhór
21 – Stephen O'Neill – Clann na nGael
22 – Conan Grugan – An Omaigh
23 – Ronan O'Neill – An Omaigh
24 – Peter Hughes – Eiscreach
25 – Patrick McNeice – Oileán a'Ghuail

No idea what Mickey sees in Emmett McKenna. Nowhere near county standard and his performances have proved that yet Mickey persists with him. Does anyone think he is worth his place.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Rodman on July 10, 2014, 11:48:15 PM
No idea what Mickey sees in Emmett McKenna. Nowhere near county standard and his performances have proved that yet Mickey persists with him. Does anyone think he is worth his place.

Scored the cracker of the goal after the break against Louth, which settled the team?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Rodman

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 10, 2014, 11:52:59 PM
Quote from: Rodman on July 10, 2014, 11:48:15 PM

Scored the cracker of the goal after the break against Louth, which settled the team?

But absolutely nothing else. Surely there is better in the County.  Hope he proves me wrong.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Have faith Rodman, still finding his feet at this level! ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

BennyHarp

Maybe he will make it, maybe he won't - but if this is a new strategy from Mickey to actually give these young lads a run of games to get some experience and as you say Fear find their feet, then I'd say we can give him the benefit of the doubt. I hope this is Kyle Coney's opportunity to get a few games at 11 now though I suspect he will get the plug pulled after his first bad pass and we'll not see him there again.
That was never a square ball!!

illdecide

Quote from: our_fella on July 10, 2014, 08:09:28 PM
Quote from: illdecide on July 10, 2014, 01:34:51 AM
The Tyrone teams named there on paper looks strong enough tbh...we have one marque forward who will win his duel with who ever gets the job of marking him but when he turns and finds himself another two or three to beat then that's were we're f**ked. The Tyrone forward line are young and not that experienced but they have ability and pace and that's good enough for me to be worried. Armagh can beat Tyrone but it will take Tyrone to be under par and Armagh to perform one to fifteen and carry a bit of luck...the bookies v seldom get it wrong and they have Tyrone at 1\3 to win...enough said. Anyway the team I'd like to see line out against Tyrone is...

McEvoy
Morgan
Donaghy
A Mallon
M Shields
McKeever
Finn Mo (possibly could do a job on S Cavanagh)
Findon
Toner
R Grugan
Dyas
T Kernan
S Campbell
Rafferty
J Clarke

A Kernan in for Finn mo and use Aaron as a sweeper is a possibility or in the HF line...not sure tbh but he can do a job somewhere for us with his experience (some people are questioning his fitness but I'm not in the camp so don't know)

You pick Armaghs most consistent culprit of giving away stupid frees, and always liable to get a black card, to mark tyrones best? Jeez

McEvoy
Mallon
Donaghy
Morgan
Kernan
McKeever
Shields
Harold
Findon
E.Rafferty
Dyas
Grugan
Jamie
Campbell
Carragher/S.Forker

I did have my doubts about it and that's why I put further comments in as an alternative... Also I know you're right about his fouling but if he was out around the middle harassing Cavanagh he could be the type of player to really frustrate Cavanagh...
Anyway the more I think about it C Vernon deserves his place in the team and could do a job as a 3rd midfielder if he wasn't suited to a defensive role
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Redhand Santa

Its a huge game for Harte. A win an decent performance and tyrone could get a run going and save the season. A defeat and there will be huge pressure on him. Tyrone will have to cope with a defensive armagh team who have Clarke and Campbell up front to do damage and will have good catchers around the middle. They will cause tyrone problems.

Again I'm not convinced with the forward line. Both Mckennas have yet to really do it in a county jersey. I'm hopeful that Niall can cause problems at full forward and it might be his best position.

Emmet worries me in the half forward line. It's about his 8th game and in none of them has he shown anything other than a couple of goals to suggest he should be on. I've yet to see him win a break ball around middle and he's surrendered possession far to easy. I do think he's someone that could improve over the next few years and become a good county player but feel this year is too soon. Mcginley will run plenty but agin won't help around the middle and win dirty ball.

A couple of changes to the team and I'd be a lot more confident. A fit joe McMahon in the half forward line would be a great help. I'd be tempted to bring Gormley in at half back and play mcnabb at half forward as he showed a few years ago that he can win breaking ball.

A good win here will do a world of good to the team. I hate the way people keep going on about the teams not being as good as ten years ago etc. It's still a knockout championship game between 2 rivals, one of whom will be playing there last game of the year. It's a huge game for the teams and it's unfair to keep harping back.

God14

Redhand Santa, I wouldn't be too annoyed if Tyrone are beat on Sunday. A defeat on Sunday would sharpen minds. Its time for a change. We've been too stale & predictable for a long time - both in terms of squad selection, playing style, tactics...
Think of the optimism and fresh impetus to be garnered over the winter months by a first change of management in 12 years! Followed by a new squad brimming with fresh faces. Old favourites of Hartes binned (I would name name, but don't wanna be negative) & replaced by fresh talent. Im thinking on the likes of Richie Donnelly, Dan McNulty, Harry Og Conlan, Frank Burns, Tommy Canavan, Dean McNally etc I could go on

Someone like Malachy O'Rourke would be ideal. Give him the league months to get us organised defensively & we'd be back dining at the top table in no time. Because at the minute we're a long way from that.

Up Ard Mhacha Tir Eoghain!

Fuzzman

God14 there is zero chance we will be getting a change of manager. ZERO
Mickey has made it clear he wants to stay on unless he takes a "change of harte."

He will continue chopping and changing and picking his favourites who repeatly don't seem up to the task but maybe they'll come good like Colm Cavanagh did.
For me all the McKennas are disappointing and too light weight and easily pushed off the ball. I think it's unfair on Niall to be going in at 14 against quite a strong Armgh FB line that will probably play a sweeper as well. I think Stevie or anyone might struggle there.

How he picks E.McKenna over Ronan O'Neill I just can't understand. Yes Ronan may struggle to win his own ball in a packed FF line but surely out around the 40 he's much better than Emmet McK. Is there an element there still of Emmet tows the line with Mickey whereas Ronan is still being punished for his wee outburst. I don't know.

With that 10-15 being so inexperienced and lacking in fight and ball winning ability I'm very worried we'll struggle to get scores or even possession. Even having Mark Donnelly in there would have helped a lot. I think Mickey is approaching this game a bit like the first Down game with an element of let them sink or swim attitude. Then second half bring on the cavalry.

Lot of pressure on McCurry and McAliskey to get the scores I think but will they be starved of good ball into them.
The Armagh lads can laugh and think we're playing mind games all they like but I am truly worried about this game now with that team we're lining out.
It's well set up for them with nothing to lose, 7 day turnaround, complete underdogs, playing away from home, Tyrone playing a very inexperienced side. It could be a total Orangefest

Who do you see as marking Jamie and who will be our sweeper should we play one?
Also seems strange to name Justy at wing back doesn't it.

illdecide

Quote from: God14 on July 11, 2014, 11:02:50 AM
Redhand Santa, I wouldn't be too annoyed if Tyrone are beat on Sunday. A defeat on Sunday would sharpen minds. Its time for a change. We've been too stale & predictable for a long time - both in terms of squad selection, playing style, tactics...
Think of the optimism and fresh impetus to be garnered over the winter months by a first change of management in 12 years! Followed by a new squad brimming with fresh faces. Old favourites of Hartes binned (I would name name, but don't wanna be negative) & replaced by fresh talent. Im thinking on the likes of Richie Donnelly, Dan McNulty, Harry Og Conlan, Frank Burns, Tommy Canavan, Dean McNally etc I could go on

Someone like Malachy O'Rourke would be ideal. Give him the league months to get us organised defensively & we'd be back dining at the top table in no time. Because at the minute we're a long way from that.

I only have ever been M Harte's company once and he is a nice man who is intelligent and lives and breathes Tyrone and GAA, he has won Ulster titles and 3 All Ireland's and some supporters want him chased...that's unbelievable tbh and as an Armagh man I find it ridiculous. You are starting to suffer slightly as your teams are not as strong as they have been in the past and too many successful years can blind you from the transition that you are going through and I have to say you are still quite lucky as the players you have are still making you a top 7 or 8 team in the country whereas we totally lost the plot for a few years and are only starting to make a bit of headway this year, I've no doubt in 2 years we will be back challenging for Ulster titles and still getting a game in August.

Remember you'll not know what you had until its gone and then there'll be a crying session looking Micky back...

P.S. if you chase him Armagh should grab him with both hands and he could join our management team for the start of the revolution ;-)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

nrico2006

Quote from: God14 on July 11, 2014, 11:02:50 AM

I near swore I had posted the above, my feelings down to a tee.  Also, as Bennyharp said poor Coney will get the curly finger before the end of the game or won't be seen again for 3 or 4 championship games unless he scores 5 points from play.  Yet Ciaran McGinley and Emmet McKenna will get another lock of starts without looking anything near deserving of a place on an intercounty half forward line.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Fuzzman

Illdecide, you and many more from outside the county feel the exact same way about Harte

Like you said you only met the man once and you have a certain view of the man. Loads more feel the exact same. Lovely man and for God Sake he won 3 AI's with ye. Leave him be!

I'm not in a witch hunt to get him out but I think you're being a TAD naive. IMHO Mickey has had a lot on his mind the last number of years and so has been passed out by other younger managers in the tactical nous of what it takes now to win an AI. He's a very very very stubborn man who doesn't like being told what to do by all accounts. Back in 2003 (from reading his book) he seeked advice and help from everywhere and talked very openly to his players and backroom team.
"From what I hear", now he hardly talks to anyone and players are almost scared to engage with him. I'm not sure now as I'm not there but that's what I've been told.
The constant chopping and changing of players the last 2 years seems a little strange and IMHO doesn't let a team develop or grow properly.
We've definitely got the players there to be a top 5 team I think but would someone like Jim McGuinness to a better job with them. Look how little his teams change. Look how everyone knows their job inside out. Look how Mal O'Rourke has turned around a mediocre Monaghan into a team that could maybe claim back to back Ulsters which is no mean feat.

Fair enough we might not have a terrible manager but sometimes there needs to be a change of direction and a clean break. I wonder how the players themselves would feel but of course if they speak out they'll probably suffer.