Roscommon vs. Mayo - Connacht SFC Semi-final (Dr. Hyde Park, June 8th 2014)

Started by Syferus, May 18, 2014, 05:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Andy transfer to his home county after such an insult?

Yes
10 (83.3%)
Yep
4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Syferus

Quote from: Tubberman on June 04, 2014, 02:02:34 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 04, 2014, 01:50:30 PM
Quote from: Chimley on June 04, 2014, 01:39:37 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 04, 2014, 12:23:30 PM
It's strange. Horan was far less bullish in years where things were going better, less quick with the talk of championship pace leagues (if Mayo's performance against Derry is Mayo's idea of championship pace we will be very happy campers on Sunday) and talking about other teams' weaknesses or levels.

I dunno if he's trying to dispel the cloud that's been over Mayo as a county since September. Everything I heard suggested he was dead-set on doing that by winning a league title but that didn't go anywhere close to plan.

I suppose he knows he's probably one defeat from this huge journey he and that team have been on being over so he's doing everything and anything this year. Well, except for changing the line-up.

He came out with fairly bullish and similar statements prior to the Galway match last year so it might be best not invest too much hope in it being false bravado.

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=192512

Fair enough but Horan's regular approach has been far more coy than he has been this year. He's not deflecting criticism as much this year either. There is a clear change in his demeanour this year.

He certainly gave some good lines for our team talk on Sunday in the presser for this match and that isn't very Horan-like. We'll see.

Maybe it is typical Horan, and you just don't know him as well as you think you do.
He doesn't do poor-mouth stuff. By and large, he calls it as he sees it.

He doesn't poor mouth but he's usually trying to get an edge in some manner when he's talking. Everyone heard the rumour about him being coached in how to talk to the media but even if untrue what that story reflects is the idea there's more to what he's saying than simply what he's saying.

I don't see how he can't be trying to giddy up a panel that's four long years on the road and had a bad ending to the league. The addition of Duffy play perfectly into trying to jolt the panel with something.

There's no mistaking Horan is under pressure this year, as much from himself for knowing he may well not be there next year as anything else. He's not cracking but the fault lines have shown in the past ten months.

Someone can exploit them if they're cute enough. I hope we are.

weareros

It's strange. Horan was far less bullish in years where things were going better, less quick with the talk of championship pace leagues (if Mayo's performance against Derry is Mayo's idea of championship pace we will be very happy campers on Sunday) and talking about other teams' weaknesses or levels.

I dunno if he's trying to dispel the cloud that's been over Mayo as a county since September. Everything I heard suggested he was dead-set on doing that by winning a league title but that didn't go anywhere close to plan.

I suppose he knows he's probably one defeat from this huge journey he and that team have been on being over so he's doing everything and anything this year. Well, except for changing the line-up.

He came out with fairly bullish and similar statements prior to the Galway match last year so it might be best not invest too much hope in it being false bravado.

Fair enough but Horan's regular approach has been far more coy than he has been this year. He's not deflecting criticism as much this year either. There is a clear change in his demeanour this year.

He certainly gave some good lines for our team talk on Sunday in the presser for this match and that isn't very Horan-like. We'll see.

In fairness now you getting close to reading the tea leaves territory or determining the outcome of the game based on how the swallows are flying. Will be hoping myself that I won't see a lone magpie before the game. Never a good sign.

Syferus

Quote from: weareros on June 04, 2014, 02:16:01 PM

In fairness now you getting close to reading the tea leaves territory or determining the outcome of the game based on how the swallows are flying. Will be hoping myself that I won't see a lone magpie before the game. Never a good sign.

Not really. I've watched Horan with interest over the last four seasons. This team is a complete reflection of the man and how he approaches things tends to reflect strongly in what you see out on the field. Before he arrived this panel were on a hiding to nothing. You see some mangers who come along and train teams hard and do all the fundamental skills things right but lads like Horan, McGuiness and to a lesser (successful) extent McGeeney make teams extensions of their own personalities.

Their strengths and weaknesses are magnified by the team. In Horan's case that means Mayo are incredible at pressing teams, turning over ball and counter-attacking. He's very well organised and brings an intensity to Mayo that they were lacking, basically.

On the flip-side Horan has made simply terrible tactical decisions at points in matches. He's a young manager still and he can't read the game in motion as well as some of the balding eagles can.

If you don't understand Horan you don't have a hope of beating Mayo.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Syferus on June 04, 2014, 01:21:28 PM
Quote from: PaoloRossi on June 04, 2014, 01:12:40 PM
Team Announced
Darren O'Malley

Seanie McDermott
Niall Carty
Neil Collins

Ian Kilbride
Niall Daly
Ciaran Cafferky

Cathal Shine
Kevin Higgins

David O Gara
Donal Shine
Ronan Stack

Senan Kilbride
Cathal Cregg
Ciaran Murtagh

Just the one enforced change. If Ian is fully fit he should add some needed physicality to the HB line.

No room for Enda Smith or Diarmuid Murtagh. If all goes to plan they will be tasked with winning the game. No pressure lads.

I always thought Ian Kilbride was a quality player who seemed to suffer from injury stirking at the wrong time. What's his form been like lately? Has it dropped off or has he been overtaken by the young guns coming through?

Syferus

Quote from: Crete Boom on June 04, 2014, 02:20:30 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 04, 2014, 01:21:28 PM
Quote from: PaoloRossi on June 04, 2014, 01:12:40 PM
Team Announced
Darren O'Malley

Seanie McDermott
Niall Carty
Neil Collins

Ian Kilbride
Niall Daly
Ciaran Cafferky

Cathal Shine
Kevin Higgins

David O Gara
Donal Shine
Ronan Stack

Senan Kilbride
Cathal Cregg
Ciaran Murtagh

Just the one enforced change. If Ian is fully fit he should add some needed physicality to the HB line.

No room for Enda Smith or Diarmuid Murtagh. If all goes to plan they will be tasked with winning the game. No pressure lads.

I always thought Ian Kilbride was a quality player who seemed to suffer from injury stirking at the wrong time. What's his form been like lately? Has it dropped off or has he been overtaken by the young guns coming through?

Ian picked up an ankle injury not long after the AI club final in March 2013. Only genuinely came back for Brigids in the Mitchels CF game in November. I think he continued to struggle with the. Injury though. He was fit enough to start against Cavan in the dead rubber game in April but he picked up another injury afterwards (not sure if it was the ankle again off the top of my head). He's played for Brigids in the league so he's probably fitter now than he has been in over a year. That said Ward, Brogan, Conor Daly and Keenan are all injured and all could easily have been ahead of Ian for a start this year so him starting is as much about need as anything else.

Ian was probably our best HB by a good margin as recently as 2012 so the talent is clearly there. He uses his physicality (he's a rock of a man) better than any of our backs. The other HBs are talented footballers but still need to learn how to stop runs properly. Hopefully Ian can lead the way on that front.

highorlow

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Rossfan

We have it well sussed now - Syfín has studied Horan and knows he's worried. :-[
Meanwhile our 6th choice Half back is expected to make up for the lack of effort of nos. 6 to 11 in stopping the Rhumachine.
We should be home and hosed by half time  8) 8).
It's probably the best team we could start considering who's out. I expect Enda(if fit) and Diarmuid to appear at some stage.
hopefully we're still in it by the 3 quarter mark and see how it goes from there.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Shrewdness

Disappointed that Diarmuid Murtagh isn't starting. The most talented young forward to emerge in Roscommon since Frankie Dolan imo. If he was a Mayo man, i reckon he'd be starting for them on Sunday. This is a big match for John Evans. He's nailed his colours to the mast by picking none of the U-21's. Most Ros people expect to lose on Sunday, but it will be the manner of the defeat that will be watched closely. We need to see signs of progress under Evans. This won't be Div 3 we're playing. We need to see Ros asking serious questions of Mayo well into the second half whilst giving a performance that will allow them to walk off with their heads held high, even in defeat..What won't be tolerated is a repeat of what we witnessed in Castlebar 12 months ago.

Put Up That Flag

Quote from: Syferus on June 04, 2014, 02:19:26 PM
Quote from: weareros on June 04, 2014, 02:16:01 PM

Not really. I've watched Horan with interest over the last four seasons. This team is a complete reflection of the man and how he approaches things tends to reflect strongly in what you see out on the field. Before he arrived this panel were on a hiding to nothing. You see some mangers who come along and train teams hard and do all the fundamental skills things right but lads like Horan, McGuiness and to a lesser (successful) extent McGeeney make teams extensions of their own personalities.

Their strengths and weaknesses are magnified by the team. In Horan's case that means Mayo are incredible at pressing teams, turning over ball and counter-attacking. He's very well organised and brings an intensity to Mayo that they were lacking, basically.

On the flip-side Horan has made simply terrible tactical decisions at points in matches. He's a young manager still and he can't read the game in motion as well as some of the balding eagles can.

If you don't understand Horan you don't have a hope of beating Mayo.

What a load of absolute muck, your gibberish knows no bounds it appears

GalwayBayBoy

Rossfan

As long as they don't allow them to use shticks we should be ok.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

larryin89

Not following your angle on Horan there Syferus.

What would you expect him to say?

Make no mistake , he is confident of beating Roscommon .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

larryin89

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

Quote from: larryin89 on June 04, 2014, 08:42:09 PM
Not following your angle on Horan there Syferus.

What would you expect him to say?

Make no mistake , he is confident of beating Roscommon .

Very little to do with what he said before this match alone. I'm talking about how he appears to be approaching things this year. It's certainly not a single interview I'm basing it on.