Roscommon vs. Mayo - Connacht SFC Semi-final (Dr. Hyde Park, June 8th 2014)

Started by Syferus, May 18, 2014, 05:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Andy transfer to his home county after such an insult?

Yes
10 (83.3%)
Yep
4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Farrandeelin

I probably was harsh on Dillon, but is he fully fit to go now? Am I the only one who wants Cillian at no 11? Flanked by McLoughlin and Feeney?? Sweeney, Freeman and Andy in the full-forward line then. It's not going to happen now as it didn't happen in the league, but I reckon with the 'freshening up' that McStay was on about it's as close to freshening up you'd get.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

larryin89

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 03, 2014, 08:12:47 PM
I probably was harsh on Dillon, but is he fully fit to go now? Am I the only one who wants Cillian at no 11? Flanked by McLoughlin and Feeney?? Sweeney, Freeman and Andy in the full-forward line then. It's not going to happen now as it didn't happen in the league, but I reckon with the 'freshening up' that McStay was on about it's as close to freshening up you'd get.

That's exactly what id go for on the hf line,it surely is the strongest we have.

The only other thing is how do we deal with the western gaels buck Higgins in the middle,if parsons is not 100% ,id worry about the stamina and speed of the breaffy bears against the inform higgans.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Farrandeelin

Quote from: larryin89 on June 03, 2014, 08:40:31 PM

That's exactly what id go for on the hf line,it surely is the strongest we have.

The only other thing is how do we deal with the western gaels buck Higgins in the middle,if parsons is not 100% ,id worry about the stamina and speed of the breaffy bears against the inform higgans.

I'm probably going to leave Hyde Park on Sunday with a huge slice of humble pie here, if my predictions are anything to go by, but I reckon the 2 O'Sheas are well able to handle the Western Gaels buck Higgins. I don't know much about Ros as I only saw them once this year in the Div 3 Final. Therefore Ros may be better than we think they are or they may be shown up as an ordinary Div 3 team who just won promotion to Division 2... That's also why I put 'Western Gaels buck Higgins' as, quite frankly I'm not fully sure who Higgins is etc. I'll probably know on Sunday after the same buck scores 2-20 and leaves us all dumbfounded.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

He'd played against ye enough to know his feckin' name at this stage.

Alot of D3 teams were truly terrible this year. The one thing I know for sure we're not is an ordinary D3 team.

Rossfan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 03, 2014, 08:49:08 PM
I'm probably going to leave Hyde Park on Sunday with a huge slice of humble pie
We live in hope .... ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

larryin89

Did ya see a buck in 2012 all Ireland final day outside phill ryans with a roscommon accent wearing a donegal top, that was the higgans buck.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

moysider

I ve always thought Cillian would be best at 11 and I agree that this is probably the best half forward line available to us. But I can t see it happening or I should say I can t see the Feeney bit happening obviously.
I don t fancy your ff line though. I thought Sweeney struggled at times in league games and can t see him push on into the championship. Jason Doherty is still miles ahead of him as an inside forward. So too would Dillon of course.

Lar Naparka

For the life of me, I can't see Cillian anywhere other than centre forward. He'd be wasted in any other position. He's the most complete all rounder we have and if we are to go anywhere this year, he'll be needed at his best.
I can't see the logic of playing either of the bears in that position. They are excellent midfielders but I think, as McStay might put it, they have  limited skill sets. They just don't have the subtle touches and ball control a good CF needs.
IMO, Andy is a must for FF.
He may have lost a bit of pace but he is still a class player and his cuteness is badly needed in the forwards. For me, it's a case of adapting the game plan to make use of his skills rather than expecting him to play a running, passing game. Apart from that pair, skill is in short supply amongst the forwards. Effort in plenty but little to show for it.
BTW, it seems the bould James is more upbeat than Farr about our chances.
This is what he had to say, according to the Mayo News.

"We are getting good players into the panel, and our panel is getting stronger each season," the manager concluded. "I suppose we are excited again this year in the sense that we can improve in different areas and if we can do that, we feel we'll be very competitive."

I sure hope he is right but somehow or another, I think he's a bit over-optimistic.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

It's strange. Horan was far less bullish in years where things were going better, less quick with the talk of championship pace leagues (if Mayo's performance against Derry is Mayo's idea of championship pace we will be very happy campers on Sunday) and talking about other teams' weaknesses or levels.

I dunno if he's trying to dispel the cloud that's been over Mayo as a county since September. Everything I heard suggested he was dead-set on doing that by winning a league title but that didn't go anywhere close to plan.

I suppose he knows he's probably one defeat from this huge journey he and that team have been on being over so he's doing everything and anything this year. Well, except for changing the line-up.

PaoloRossi

Team Announced
Darren O'Malley

Seanie McDermott
Niall Carty
Neil Collins

Ian Kilbride
Niall Daly
Ciaran Cafferky

Cathal Shine
Kevin Higgins

David O Gara
Donal Shine
Ronan Stack

Senan Kilbride
Cathal Cregg
Ciaran Murtagh

Syferus

Quote from: PaoloRossi on June 04, 2014, 01:12:40 PM
Team Announced
Darren O'Malley

Seanie McDermott
Niall Carty
Neil Collins

Ian Kilbride
Niall Daly
Ciaran Cafferky

Cathal Shine
Kevin Higgins

David O Gara
Donal Shine
Ronan Stack

Senan Kilbride
Cathal Cregg
Ciaran Murtagh

Just the one enforced change. If Ian is fully fit he should add some needed physicality to the HB line.

No room for Enda Smith or Diarmuid Murtagh. If all goes to plan they will be tasked with winning the game. No pressure lads.

Put Up That Flag

Quote from: PaoloRossi on June 04, 2014, 01:12:40 PM
Team Announced
Darren O'Malley

Seanie McDermott
Niall Carty
Neil Collins

Ian Kilbride
Niall Daly
Ciaran Cafferky

Cathal Shine
Kevin Higgins

David O Gara
Donal Shine
Ronan Stack

Senan Kilbride
Cathal Cregg
Ciaran Murtagh

Absolutely nothing in that team to prevent an absolute hiding for Roscommon, I have never heard of half of them and the other half have proved year in year out they are average intercounty players who never perform when the pressure is on

Chimley

Quote from: Syferus on June 04, 2014, 12:23:30 PM
It's strange. Horan was far less bullish in years where things were going better, less quick with the talk of championship pace leagues (if Mayo's performance against Derry is Mayo's idea of championship pace we will be very happy campers on Sunday) and talking about other teams' weaknesses or levels.

I dunno if he's trying to dispel the cloud that's been over Mayo as a county since September. Everything I heard suggested he was dead-set on doing that by winning a league title but that didn't go anywhere close to plan.

I suppose he knows he's probably one defeat from this huge journey he and that team have been on being over so he's doing everything and anything this year. Well, except for changing the line-up.

He came out with fairly bullish and similar statements prior to the Galway match last year so it might be best not invest too much hope in it being false bravado.

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=192512

Syferus

Quote from: Chimley on June 04, 2014, 01:39:37 PM

He came out with fairly bullish and similar statements prior to the Galway match last year so it might be best not invest too much hope in it being false bravado.

Fair enough but Horan's regular approach has been far more coy than he has been this year. He's not deflecting criticism as much this year either. There is a clear change in his demeanour this year.

He certainly gave some good lines for our team talk on Sunday in the presser for this match and that isn't very Horan-like. We'll see.

Tubberman

Quote from: Syferus on June 04, 2014, 01:50:30 PM
Quote from: Chimley on June 04, 2014, 01:39:37 PM

Fair enough but Horan's regular approach has been far more coy than he has been this year. He's not deflecting criticism as much this year either. There is a clear change in his demeanour this year.

He certainly gave some good lines for our team talk on Sunday in the presser for this match and that isn't very Horan-like. We'll see.

Maybe it is typical Horan, and you just don't know him as well as you think you do.
He doesn't do poor-mouth stuff. By and large, he calls it as he sees it.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."