7 (9.7%)
Giggs
12 (16.7%)
None of above
27 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 72

BennyCake

Quote from: theticklemister on April 22, 2014, 01:01:40 PM

I think these two lads as partnership would be the best, they have the man utd kit already and everything..........

The grey-haired fella will obviously watch the games in the stand though. Waaaayyyyyy up in the stands.

John o connor

lynchbhoy

the man u job after fergie was always going to be a poison chalice- esp as the squad were aging and mostly sihte
fergie did brilliantly to get them to compete at all let alone win the epl

I think a lot of shrewd men who coveted the job just didn't want to take it when moyes was asked
id say the likes of these would be interested now
Mourinho
MON
Keane
benitez
hiddink
van gaal
etc

most are in positions they prob feel they cant get out of to take the role though

still think that man u acted stupidly to fire moyes after just one season
if that rule was applied to fergie for each of his first few seasons at man u - he have been sacked 4 or 5 times

Kidder81

Are you seriously linking Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane to the United job? I might throw my hat into the ring as well then.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Kidder81 on April 22, 2014, 04:43:09 PM
Are you seriously linking Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane to the United job? I might throw my hat into the ring as well then.
don't understand your rationale here?

MON has always wanted the man u job
he prob cant go for it now as he knows he would risk his reputation - but he is a very selfish guy so it wouldn't really surprise me

keane is a big man u fan and obv would want the job too

by all means throw your hat in the ring, not sure if you have international caps or several years managing top level soccer teams to back up your application !!

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 22, 2014, 03:57:19 PM
the man u job after fergie was always going to be a poison chalice- esp as the squad were aging and mostly sihte

I think a lot of shrewd men who coveted the job just didn't want to take it when moyes was asked
Mourinho
MON
Keane
benitez
hiddink
van gaal
etc

most are in positions they prob feel they cant get out of to take the role though

if that rule was applied to fergie for each of his first few seasons at man u - he have been sacked 4 or 5 times

I think you have to look at it in context. When AF took over, Utd were a third rate club performance wise. Everton, Liverpool, Arsenal, even Villa and Forest were more successful than them, so Ferguson could be afforded time, because there was not much quality there in the first place.

Compare this to what Moyes walked in on - the most successful club in League history and one of the top three biggest clubs in the world. No other top team, from Barca to Bayern would have accepted the results and performances that Utd served up this season.
In terms of top quality teams producing first class football, he was lucky to last as long as he did.

I am happy for him in a way because his mind was made up for him.

His interviews the past couple of weeks was a bit like watching Rory McIlroy at the 2011 US Masters. Someone who just didn't want to be there, and at no time did he sound like he could complete the job.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

magpie seanie

Mourinho
MON
Keane
benitez
hiddink
van gaal
etc

I'm sorry but that's just wrong and I'm seeing it so many times it is irritating me. Ferguson took over a club that hadn't won the league in almost 20 years. The team were in the in the lower reaches of the league and there was a heavily ingrained drinking culture at the club, led by the best players. While you might think the squad Moyes took over was "aging" and "mostly shite" they had won 5 of the previous 7 league titles. A world of difference to what Ferguson took over.

Also, in Ferguson's first full season (1987/88 I think), United had a good late run to finish 2nd and it looked like they were set up to challenge again. 1988/89 was bad (1-5 to pre oil powered Man City) and 1989/90 ended with a nerve jangling cup win and the rest is history.

Bottom line is Moyes was completely out of his depth from day 0. The squad needs a bit of an overhaul (Moyes seems to get a free pass for his ineptitude in the transfer market last summer for some reason???) and the players didn't cover themselves in glory with their efforts at times (again, some seem to think this is not at least partially Moyes fault????) but there's no sense saying "Moyes needed/deserved more time". It was never going to get better. all the ABU's knew that - that's why they wanted him to stay.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on April 22, 2014, 05:02:07 PM

Mourinho
MON
Keane
benitez
hiddink
van gaal
etc

I think you have to look at it in context. When AF took over, Utd were a third rate club performance wise. Everton, Liverpool, Arsenal, even Villa and Forest were more successful than them, so Ferguson could be afforded time, because there was not much quality there in the first place.

Compare this to what Moyes walked in on - the most successful club in League history and one of the top three biggest clubs in the world. No other top team, from Barca to Bayern would have accepted the results and performances that Utd served up this season.
In terms of top quality teams producing first class football, he was lucky to last as long as he did.

His interviews the past couple of weeks was a bit like watching Rory McIlroy at the 2011 US Masters. Someone who just didn't want to be there, and at no time did he sound like he could complete the job.
I don't disagree but if you want to put any context into anything, man u have a rubbish side and squad.
only de gea, vidic, rvp, rooney could have been considered as good enough. Now they have mata.

In order to win, you need a good enough team (and squad) and any casual observer can see that man u were poor to rubbish. I have been saying that on paper this past few years they have been over achieving.
it takes a manager a while to replace a side.
certainly a year is not enough.
did I mis-hear things at the start of the year when the club said moyes would be given time to rebuild?
A year aint nearly enough. their league position accurately reflects the talent of the side imo.
I don't particularly like fergie- but credit is due to him for delivering with what he had. he stayed on two years too long imo.
im not a man u fan either but don't like seeing them in disarray or the treatment metted out to moyes.

capello another good shout - not sure van gaal is the man for the job, but woul dbe interesting to see - any man given time and a bit of money...

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 22, 2014, 05:16:31 PM

Mourinho
MON
Keane
benitez
hiddink
van gaal
etc

I don't disagree but if you want to put any context into anything, man u have a rubbish side and squad.
only de gea, vidic, rvp, rooney could have been considered as good enough. Now they have mata.

In order to win, you need a good enough team (and squad) and any casual observer can see that man u were poor to rubbish. I have been saying that on paper this past few years they have been over achieving.
did I mis-hear things at the start of the year when the club said moyes would be given time to rebuild?
A year aint nearly enough. their league position accurately reflects the talent of the side imo.
I don't particularly like fergie- but credit is due to him for delivering with what he had. he stayed on two years too long imo.
im not a man u fan either but don't like seeing them in disarray or the treatment metted out to moyes.

capello another good shout - not sure van gaal is the man for the job, but woul dbe interesting to see - any man given time and a bit of money...

Compare the United team to Chelsea - 2nd in league and CL Semi finalists.
How many of the first team would you put in a Utd starting eleven?
Maybe the two full backs and Willian, but I seriously believe that Utd have a better attacking team than Chelsea.
The difference? Jose Mourinho
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

lynchbhoy

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 22, 2014, 05:10:08 PM

Mourinho
MON
Keane
benitez
hiddink
van gaal
etc

I'm sorry but that's just wrong and I'm seeing it so many times it is irritating me. Ferguson took over a club that hadn't won the league in almost 20 years. The team were in the in the lower reaches of the league and there was a heavily ingrained drinking culture at the club, led by the best players. While you might think the squad Moyes took over was "aging" and "mostly shite" they had won 5 of the previous 7 league titles. A world of difference to what Ferguson took over.

Also, in Ferguson's first full season (1987/88 I think), United had a good late run to finish 2nd and it looked like they were set up to challenge again. 1988/89 was bad (1-5 to pre oil powered Man City) and 1989/90 ended with a nerve jangling cup win and the rest is history.

Bottom line is Moyes was completely out of his depth from day 0. The squad needs a bit of an overhaul (Moyes seems to get a free pass for his ineptitude in the transfer market last summer for some reason???) and the players didn't cover themselves in glory with their efforts at times (again, some seem to think this is not at least partially Moyes fault????) but there's no sense saying "Moyes needed/deserved more time". It was never going to get better. all the ABU's knew that - that's why they wanted him to stay.
its my opinion and recollection of that time Seanie.
I was a Liverpool fan back then and did laugh at the messing that was going on at old Trafford at that time - mostly to annoy my man u fan friends

there were no big money men behind teams so it was Liverpool, leeds , man u and possibly Newcastle and arsenal in competition annually.
but mostly Liverpool and man u.
it was laughable at the time with fergie abjectly failing week in week out. maybe there was a problem with the drinking culture at man u- but it was the same at all clubs.
I recall the big joke one year - when terry waite (archbishop of Canterbury's envoy) was captured in beriut while on a mediation mission and held hostage for a few months- the joke was that terry waite had been offered the man u manager job, but had turned it down saying he'd rather stay where he was.

the situation at man u at that time was far more grave than recently. ok maybe expectations are higher then now, and they have been more successful recently, but as I said, fergie got 250% out of the team he had. moyes couldn't get 35% out of them and agreed, he didn't do well in the transfer market, so he has to shoulder a good portion of the blame.
but I feel that he should have been given time.
though it is possibly quite true that he was the wrong man for the job anyway!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on April 22, 2014, 05:23:07 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 22, 2014, 05:16:31 PM

Mourinho
MON
Keane
benitez
hiddink
van gaal
etc

Compare the United team to Chelsea - 2nd in league and CL Semi finalists.
How many of the first team would you put in a Utd starting eleven?
Maybe the two full backs and Willian, but I seriously believe that Utd have a better attacking team than Chelsea.
The difference? Jose Mourinho
I agree about mourinho, I think he is brilliant.

however, id only pick three out of the man u side
vidic, rvp, rooney and cech for me would shade de gea

just my opinion though

imtommygunn

Moyes at everton was renowned for being a very conservative manager - playing 4 5 1 and winning games by 1 or max 2 goals. He also was very set in his ways and was always reluctant to give young players a go - e.g. Coleman struggled to break into team under him and is now everton's best player, barkley struggled too, gosling left due to him (i think) and rodwell got limited time considering where he was. Actually even rooney in his day.

He built a team round a solid defense, a holding midfielder, pretty much flooding midifield and playing one up and they weren't always necessarily a striker.

He did a great job of getting everton from mediocrity of low in table to challenging for europe but he really could not have done any more with them given the football he played. Martinez has brought them to a different level.

Based on all the above i think he was very much the wrong man. I think he can organise and get the most of players who are not quite the top level but above that is a struggle.

I really do feel sorry for the guy. The pressure in that job is a big pressure - fans, media and the "evil empire" of the glazers. The pressure has got to him too - any half decent manager will not criticise their players publicly and he did that. When you do things like that you lose the players.

It's all very unfortunate and don't know where he goes from here but at least he got a bit of money in the process if nothing works out again. One of few genuines in football.

Asal Mor

No idea if these have been posted already but some of them are very good. The best jokes from Twitter about Moyes' sacking.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/the-best-jokes-on-twitter-after-manchester-united-sack-manager-moyes-30208257.html

laoislad

It's just been reported that Moyes has a new job with Sky already.

He fits his first dish tomorrow....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.