An Mhí v Ard Mhacha, NFL Div 2, Round 3, Navan, Saturday 1st March 2014

Started by BennyCake, February 10, 2014, 07:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

I've always maintained that we need a Ronan Clarke type player for Jamie to feed off. Ronan was a great ball winner, and with Jamie waiting for the knockdowns, he would've bagged many many goals. That's where he's at his best.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on February 25, 2014, 10:38:35 PM
Undoubtedly one of the unluckiest players of all time,with injury robbing him of a great career.At least he has the consolation of an All Ireland medal
I'd say most players would be very happy with "the consolation of an all Ireland medal".
And quite a few women as well.

T Fearon

Yes indeed, but when you win one as a teenager then see your career effectively end before your mid 20s, it must, nonetheless, be a bitter pill to swallow.

thejuice

With three of Meath's next four Allianz FL Division 2 games against Ulster opposition, Mick O'Dowd's men will be hoping to reverse what is a terrible recent head-to-head record against teams from the northern province.

The Royals' record against Ulster teams over the last five years makes pretty grim reading. In 20 games in league and championship against sides from that province only four wins were recorded.

Although meeting all nine Ulster counties at least once since February, 2009, Meath do not hold a 100 per cent winning record against any of them. As well as the four wins, there were two draws and 14 defeats.

Two of the wins were recorded at the expense of Antrim and Fermanagh.

Those victories were gained in the last two rounds of the 2013 League Division 3 with Antrim, who finished with 13 players, outscored by 1-19 to 0-11 at Casement Park and Fermanagh defeated by 2-12 to 0-14 at Pairc Tailteann as an immediate return to the second tier was achieved.

However, both Ulster minnows also got the better of the Royals in the period under review. In 2009 Fermanagh claimed a minimum margin win at the Navan venue and Antrim had three points to spare at Casement Park in the spring of 2011.

Meath's other wins were scored at the expense of Armagh in 2010 and Monaghan in 2012, both at Pairc Tailteann. Defeats to Monaghan (three), Donegal and Tyrone (two each) make up over half of the losses.

Armagh, whom Meath will host at Pairc Tailteann, next Saturday night, were winners over the Royals at Crossmaglen in 2009.

Donegal, whom Meath will travel to meet on March 9, beat the Leinster wearers of the green and gold by five points in Ballybofey in 2010 and had six to spare in Navan in 2011.

When Down travel to Navan on March 29 Meath will be hoping to reverse the 2010 result at Newry when the Mourne county won with four points to spare.

Meath's county-by-county record against Ulster teams since 2009:

Tyrone - won 0, drawn 1, lost 2

Donegal - won 0, drawn 0, lost 2

Derry - won 0, drawn 0, lost 2

Down - won 0, drawn 0, lost 1

Antrim - won 1, drawn 0, lost 1

Fermanagh - won 1, drawn 0, lost 1

Monaghan - won 1, drawn 1, lost 3

Cavan - won 0, drawn 0, lost 1

Armagh - won 1, drawn 0, lost 1

All of the 20 clashes were in the league except last year's All-Ireland Qualifiers defeat to Tyrone at Croke Park.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Throw ball

Armagh team per official forum:
McAvoy
Hughes Mallon Murray
Shields Vernon O'Neill
Findon Harold
Kernan Dyas Rafferty
Clarke Campbell MacOimhair

No defenders named on the bench. O'Neill, Findon and MacOimhair make their first league starts. O'Neill playing out of position to cover injuries. Hughes and Murray in their first league season. The injuries in defence and midfield leave the squad thread bear. Meath will never get a better chance to pick up 2 points. Still, Armagh will not lack for effort.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on February 26, 2014, 09:58:15 AM
Yes indeed, but when you win one as a teenager then see your career effectively end before your mid 20s, it must, nonetheless, be a bitter pill to swallow.
Some of them will swallow anything, Tony, especially the groupies.

In counties that don't win much, all Ireland medals are very precious. It's different in Kerry where you have to have a collection

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/kieran-donaghy-i-am-playing-well-i-can-have-a-big-say-in-what-kerry-do-this-year-29454011.html

When you are 24 you don't think that way. I remember Darragh (ó Sé) saying he had pressure coming into games, there was a lot expected of you to perform. Not only that. That is an outside thing. The inside thing is a worse thing. The inside pressure you put on yourself to play well. That gets worse and worse as you get on."You're at a stage now where the years are running out and you're trying to get yourself another medal and that is what it comes down to – that is what I am playing for."And winning another All-Ireland is the bottom line. "You wouldn't be playing (otherwise), what would be the point in playing? It's about trying to win an All-Ireland.

thejuice

No sign of a Meath team yet but I hear Davy Dalton Jr is out for the rest of the league, while Gilespie has a hairline fracture in his foot or hand or something. Rumours are Michael Newman is out for this one but I don't know what the injury is.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

tonto1888

Throw ball

Quote from: mb80b60 on February 28, 2014, 10:54:38 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on February 28, 2014, 10:53:04 AM
who is the Mallon named at FB for Armagh?

Possibly Andy?

Yes Andy. Back this year after a year away. Only player in defence this weekend with any real senior experience playing there.

thejuice

€15 on the gate tomorrow or buy them today in advance at tickets.ie for €10.

Armamike

Can't in a long time remember seeing such a weak or inexperienced looking Armagh team in the league.  Injuries have wrecked this squad.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Throw ball on February 28, 2014, 12:29:55 AM
Armagh team per official forum:
McAvoy
Hughes Mallon Murray
Shields Vernon O'Neill
Findon Harold
Kernan Dyas Rafferty
Clarke Campbell MacOimhair

No defenders named on the bench. O'Neill, Findon and MacOimhair make their first league starts. O'Neill playing out of position to cover injuries. Hughes and Murray in their first league season. The injuries in defence and midfield leave the squad thread bear. Meath will never get a better chance to pick up 2 points. Still, Armagh will not lack for effort.

True, maybe Armagh can surprise a few.

thejuice

Still no sign of a Meath team to be named. Perhaps he's waiting for a few injuries to clear. Most of the talk has been that Meath will win but it's not like Armagh have been hammered in either of their games and came back well againt Louth. A bit like the economy, Meaths recovery is fragile. Losing at home today would be quite a set back.

JP

Hoping for a Armagh shock win. We're sending a young extremely inexperienced team. Everyone is writing them off (with good reason) hopefully they will want to proof a point.  I'll not be at the game due to my own sporting commitments but hoping Armagh fans get behind the team properly. Sure all we can ask is they do there best and hope its enough.