An Mhí v Ard Mhacha, NFL Div 2, Round 3, Navan, Saturday 1st March 2014

Started by BennyCake, February 10, 2014, 07:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Thought I'd look ahead to this match, following the disappointment of the Down game.

What's the story regarding injuries? Will Brendan Donaghy or Aaron Kernan be back for this one?

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Meath should win this handy. Even if the points don't come. Goals win matches. They would need to score at least one goal.

illdecide

I can actually see Armagh winning this game and if they do they will stay up as i believe they can beat Laois and Galway too. According to the Irish News today Aaron Kernan will be back for this game but they said B Donaghy won't be due back until May
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

thejuice

Seriously, I am not sure what we do when the approach we have taken isn't working out. We might also need to make changes before we are 12 points down.

Might think this formation might work by bringing guys back to defend but have the legs to run it up the field.

P O'Rourke

Menton,
Keoghan, K Reilly, Dalton
Harnan, Tormey, Burke,

G Reilly
Gillespie, S O'Rourke,

O'Sullivan, S Bray, Wallace
D Bray, Newman

Still not sure if we have the physical presence to play a really defensive game to be honest.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: thejuice on February 12, 2014, 11:15:34 PM
Seriously, I am not sure what we do when the approach we have taken isn't working out. We might also need to make changes before we are 12 points down.

Might think this formation might work by bringing guys back to defend but have the legs to run it up the field.

P O'Rourke

Menton,
Keoghan, K Reilly, Dalton
Harnan, Tormey, Burke,

G Reilly
Gillespie, S O'Rourke,

O'Sullivan, S Bray, Wallace
D Bray, Newman

Still not sure if we have the physical presence to play a really defensive game to be honest.

That would definitely give you an advantage, particulalry with 16 men!!!

thejuice

mackers

Quote from: AFS on February 12, 2014, 10:38:08 PM
Quote from: illdecide on February 12, 2014, 09:20:10 PM
I can actually see Armagh winning this game and if they do they will stay up as i believe they can beat Laois and Galway too. According to the Irish News today Aaron Kernan will be back for this game but they said B Donaghy won't be due back until May

The mention of Donaghy's situation was worryingly vague. Came across as if the hope was that he'd be back around May and in time for Championship, but that there was no guarantee of it. Aidan Forker's injury is a blow too. Sounds like he'll miss the rest of the year. Would've given him a good shot at grabbing the third HF line spot alongside Dyas and Rafferty. No mentions of Paul McKeown or Gary McCooey, two boys that could offer some options in the FB line where we've been struggling. 

Shouldn't be a whole pile between Armagh and Meath (or Galway or Laois for that matter), so getting a result here is more than possible. But we've been struggling to get results in these sorts of games over the last few years. Probably go down by a handful of points in a game we had chances to win.
Donaghy's injury is quite a serious one.  I had been told it is very similar to the one that ended Owen Hargreaves' career. Gary McCooey is going to be out for 3 to 4 more weeks so hopefully he'll get a chance at FB in mid March as he would definitely be a better option there than CV.  Forker would have been vying with Grugan for that slot in the HF line for me.  Caolan Rafferty would be a big boost to the HF line but I heard he won't be back.  My sources have been known to be wrong before, anybody hear anything different?
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

thejuice

Seems playing 16 players is against the "rules" whatever those are supposed to be? Honestly the GAA is getting above itself telling us how many players we can have on the field.

Anyway, following on from the Monaghan game we do need a more defensive strategy as a plan B should the all out blitzkrieg attack fail to reap rewards.

Bringing menton back as sweeper and tormey or graham Reilly as a third midfielder.

I hear Gillespie is out injured so we'll need someone else in the middle.

seafoid

Meath should win this handy. But that would put too much pressure on them. It is very tricky.

PAULD123

What ever happened to Ronan Clarke? Does he play club football or is he fully out of the game now?

Throw ball

Quote from: PAULD123 on February 25, 2014, 05:45:27 PM
What ever happened to Ronan Clarke? Does he play club football or is he fully out of the game now?

Got back to make a few cameo performances for Ogs in championship in 2012 but got another serious injury in match against Cullyhanna that year. Ogs ones may be able to update you further. A great miss to Ogs, Armagh and GAA in general.

T Fearon

Undoubtedly one of the unluckiest players of all time,with injury robbing him of a great career.At least he has the consolation of an All Ireland medal