2013 All Ireland Final: Mayo v Dublin

Started by All of a Sludden, August 26, 2013, 10:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 02, 2013, 05:23:20 PM
Connacht Telegraph back page TUESDAY, 01 OCTOBER 2013

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/sport/gaelic/3985-is-it-the-end-of-the-road-for-horan

It'd be a sad day for Mayo were it to come to pass. Even though I think it would be a big ask to make a third successive final Horan is clearly the best bet for Mayo next season.

Article reads like a hatchet job, though. In Larrin's immortal words it may make 'bull thick' Jamsey sign up for another full term.

Is the article author-less for a reason or is the CT's website just poorly edited?

sans pessimism

Quote from: Syferus on October 02, 2013, 06:02:59 PM

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/sport/gaelic/3985-is-it-the-end-of-the-road-for-horan

It'd be a sad day for Mayo were it to come to pass. Even though I think it would be a big ask to make a third successive final Horan is clearly the best bet for Mayo next season.

Article reads like a hatchet job, though. In Larrin's immortal words it may make 'bull thick' Jamsey sign up for another full term.

Is the article author-less for a reason or is the CT's website just poorly edited?
Aidan Henry was the genius behind the arse wipe garbage.I bought the CT a few weeks ago-it was the best reminder of the reason  I had stopped buyin it years ago!Its sooo far behind the MN
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

moysider

Quote from: sans pessimism on October 02, 2013, 08:27:15 PM

Aidan Henry was the genius behind the arse wipe garbage.I bought the CT a few weeks ago-it was the best reminder of the reason  I had stopped buyin it years ago!Its sooo far behind the MN

Hasn t this guy got a track record with this kind of thing but cant remember which manager it was again?

This is the melodramatic kind of shite that annoys me;

''I asked some of these questions in last week's issue of The Connaught Telegraph and still await answers. Now the Mayo supporters are demanding they get these answers, which I have outlined separately on this page.''

Now I m a Mayo supporter and I m not aking questions never mind demanding answers from James Horan or anybody else.

muppet

Quote from: moysider on October 02, 2013, 08:44:49 PM

Hasn t this guy got a track record with this kind of thing but cant remember which manager it was again?

''I asked some of these questions in last week's issue of The Connaught Telegraph and still await answers. Now the Mayo supporters are demanding they get these answers, which I have outlined separately on this page.''

Now I m a Mayo supporter and I m not aking questions never mind demanding answers from James Horan or anybody else.

John O'Mahony?
MWWSI 2017

IolarCoisCuain

Someone in the Telegraph had a pop at Horan at the start of the year about him having favourites and not giving other players (Parsons, Kilcoyne) a fair shake. I'm not sure if it was buck or not though.

As for the piece itself, it's muck of course. Sadly, not only is it muck, it's such muck that it is actually depressing. It's depressing that the Connaught Telegraph, a paper that's been around for a long, long time, has to stoop to this to sell a few copies. They have to be bigger than this. A newspaper isn't meant to be a forum for corner-boys and gasbags. Sad day for the Telegraph.

moysider

Quote from: muppet on October 02, 2013, 09:56:22 PM

John O'Mahony?

er........... no, I dont think so. If he had done a number on Johnno it would have been a decent thing ;D. To be honest I dont take that paper hardly ever. So he could have pruned Johnno and I d have been none the wiser.

But there is pattern emerging here as regards Mayo managers. The bitterest bile is reserved for the decent ones that get beat in AI finals. Maughan, Moran and Horan have been smashed in turn. The chancers who duck out in July avoid the bandwagon are held in the highest of esteem.

Look, losing an AI final is always going to get messy.

Yer mans piece is not something that anybody should get excited about. The only difference between his 'questions' and what has been batted about on barstools is that the guys on the barstools did so in a more suitable, private and more respectful environment. In fact, I ve been in a pub once since the match and anybody that would have even dared to mention the final it would have been chinned.

larryin89

Is Horan beyond  been questioned because he has lost two consecutive  all Ireland finals?

Just a little sidenote in reponse to the  digs at Johnno, we would be nowhere without the forward thinking of that man as far back as 83  under 21 team he got the ball rolling for what we have today.

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Never beat the deeler

Depressing stuff on here. You'd swear these managers were going out to lose games on purpose.
Look at the Higgins switch - everyone agrees that he was a loss around the middle of the field. What if Horan broughy on Kevin Keane and O'Gara scored a goal off him. "Horan hasn't learned from his mistakes in last year's final", everyone would say. If he brought in McHale and O'Gara scored a couple of points from play - "What was he thinking of bringing on an untested player in an All Ireland Final and us with an Allstar corner back playing in the forwards?!"

And the Freeman issue. Horan has come out in the media and stated that Freeman wasn't full fit / well. Until Alan Freeman comes out in public and refutes that, we have to take it at face value. I don't care who was talking to his mother / father / first cousin twice removed.

I could go on about the game, but most of it has been said and re-hashed

It reminds me of post-97. Anything that went wrong in Mayo football was accompanied with "F**kin' Maughan" as if
1) He was the only man with any input into whether we won an All Ireland
2) Mayo only needed to turn up to win - how dare he lose and
3) He somehow intended for Mayo to lose a final.

People who are calling for Horan's head have very short memories indeed. He has brought us a long way in a short time and has earned another crack at it. If he stays on and ultimately comes up short, he should be thanked for his efforts and congratulated on his achievements.
Hasta la victoria siempre

maigheo

Jeez Larry are you serious about JOM.To say that he had anything to do with Mayo's success over the past three years is crazy.Not even going to bother arguing with you as you have to be a WUm.Horan is not above  criticism but I find it very strange that so many people want to get rid of him after a 13 and 3 record over 3 years.Reading some of the posts on the WJ blog and Aiden Henry in the CTyou would think that Horan had never played or managed  above junior b level before he took the Mayo job.Sometimes I think we deserve managers like Johnno as alot of supporters never appreciate a good manager when we stumble across one.

maigheo

Very good post 'Never beat the dealer'.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: maigheo on October 03, 2013, 03:37:18 AM
Jeez Larry are you serious about JOM.To say that he had anything to do with Mayo's success over the past three years is crazy.Not even going to bother arguing with you as you have to be a WUm.Horan is not above  criticism but I find it very strange that so many people want to get rid of him after a 13 and 3 record over 3 years.Reading some of the posts on the WJ blog and Aiden Henry in the CTyou would think that Horan had never played or managed  above junior b level before he took the Mayo job.Sometimes I think we deserve managers like Johnno as alot of supporters never appreciate a good manager when we stumble across one.
I know it didn't work out for him or Mayo on his return however any manager that can bring teams to four All Ireland finals and win two of them can't be that bad?

highorlow

QuotePeople who are calling for Horan's head have very short memories indeed. He has brought us a long way in a short time and has earned another crack at it

NBTD, not sure where or to who your post is directed? I haven't seen any posters calling for Horan's head. Try and read the posts before jumping to your own conclusions.

If that was the case ("calling for Horans head") on this forum it would be the topic of a new thread, which is very unlikely. Plenty of other counties around would only love to have the likes of him.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

rosnarun

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 02, 2013, 03:00:41 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on October 02, 2013, 12:38:36 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on October 02, 2013, 12:40:50 AM
Quote from: maigheo on October 02, 2013, 12:00:52 AM
anybody read the hatchet job the Connacht Telegraph done on James Horan.It would make you cry in despair at the morons that inhabit our county.Wouldnt blame Horan if he said f*-k it and resigned with all of the abuse he is getting.Edwin Mcgreal writes a very good article in the Mayo News today analyzing why Mayo lost the all ireland and basically it boils down to that we were not good enough on the day,with not being able to create scoring opportunities after the first 25 min. and far too many turnovers in good attacking positions.

I don't think anybody takes The Connaught Telegraph as a serious newspaper. Every single time I've read one of their articles, it is full of basic mistakes - players names, years of previous matches, scorelines, scorers, basic grammar.
That paper (and probably same writer) wrote a heavily critical piece about Horan last year as well, it seems they have some axe to grind.
i think a lot of Castlebar are grinding Axes this weather .
If they finally win the county final the noise will be very loud from our capital

I have not bought the Connacht Telegraph in just over 4 years. Found it to be one of the laziest papers around. Compared to the Mayo News sports coverage is basic and lacking. Seen the article you talk about at work. Has a Mayo Manager ever got a a roasting like that before? Anyway won't be renewing my subscription any time soon.
its lazy in the sense that  there is not one arguement there i have not heard since black sunday .
while im far from Calling for horans head , is there a danger he has hit his Glass ceiling .
Getting a new manager is no sure way of breaking through, indeed we could go back years if the wrong man was appointed but i think its no harm to Keep asking questions and keep asking for better  that extra 5 % or so to get Mayo Over the line.
While it would not make one iota of difference . It would be nice to get answers to some of the questions from the AIF in Particular about Freeman ,richie Feeney, Seamie and the reasoning behind the change when cunniffe went off .
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

sans pessimism

Quote from: highorlow on October 03, 2013, 09:34:38 AM
QuotePeople who are calling for Horan's head have very short memories indeed. He has brought us a long way in a short time and has earned another crack at it

NBTD, not sure where or to who your post is directed? I haven't seen any posters calling for Horan's head. Try and read the posts before jumping to your own conclusions.

If that was the case ("calling for Horans head") on this forum it would be the topic of a new thread, which is very unlikely. Plenty of other counties around would only love to have the likes of him.
highorlow,have a look at the mayogaablog site-plenty on there calling for his removal
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Farrandeelin

Quote from: larryin89 on October 03, 2013, 01:40:58 AM
Is Horan beyond  been questioned because he has lost two consecutive  all Ireland finals?

Just a little sidenote in reponse to the  digs at Johnno, we would be nowhere without the forward thinking of that man as far back as 83  under 21 team he got the ball rolling for what we have today.

I assume you were around Longford on June 26th 2010?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.