2013 All Ireland Final: Mayo v Dublin

Started by All of a Sludden, August 26, 2013, 10:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 04, 2013, 12:50:17 AM

We were just average! That's the point of the list!

http://www.thescore.ie/donegal-mayo-all-ireland-semi-1992-601189-Sep2012/

Yes it was a poor game i remember watching it however if a just average Mayo side can get within four points of a Donegal side that won tough Ulster championship and All Ireland then it can't be one of Mayo worst results in my opinion.

muppet

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 04, 2013, 01:35:19 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on October 04, 2013, 12:50:17 AM

We were just average! That's the point of the list!

http://www.thescore.ie/donegal-mayo-all-ireland-semi-1992-601189-Sep2012/

Yes it was a poor game i remember watching it however if a just average Mayo side can get within four points of a Donegal side that won tough Ulster championship and All Ireland then it can't be one of Mayo worst results in my opinion.

Despite Down's win in 1991, playing the Ulster Champions was still seen at the time as the best route to an AIF for a Connacht team. Considering the Ulster Champions had lost 12 of the previous 14 semi finals, we rightfully were more hopeful than usual. (For balance I will point out that the Connacht Champions had lost 11 of the previous 14).
MWWSI 2017

larryin89

98 v Galway in Castlebar , I always believe we would of won it that year , Galway got a handy AI in between us winning 3 out of 4 provincial titles.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

muppet

Quote from: larryin89 on October 04, 2013, 03:23:33 AM
98 v Galway in Castlebar , I always believe we would of won it that year , Galway got a handy AI in between us winning 3 out of 4 provincial titles.

All Irelands are handy to win aren't they?

Have you learned nothing?
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

98 v Galway in Castlebar , I always believe we would of won it that year ,

FFS  >:( >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rrhf

Micko Dwyer would win an ai with mayo as would Sean Boylan, Mickey Harte and joe Kernan.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: muppet on October 04, 2013, 08:53:18 AM

All Irelands are handy to win aren't they?

Have you learned nothing?

Was Derry,Kildare 1998 better or worse than Offaly,Kerry in 1997? no handy All Irelands any Mayo supporter should know that.

orangeman

I heard this being discussed last week. It's one of those ones that will haunt Mayo men for a while.

Dublin forward Eoghan O'Gara has admitted his surprise that Mayo continued to deploy a marker to follow him during the last quarter of the All-Ireland football final last September, despite the fact that his mobility had completely diminished because of a hamstring injury.

O'Gara tore a hamstring badly just as Bernard Brogan was scoring Dublin's second goal midway through the second half, and with all five substitutes on the field by that stage, O'Gara had to remain in the action.

He withdrew to a deeper position where he was followed by Keith Higgins, who had been deployed to mark him after O'Gara's impressive introduction for Paul Mannion in the first half.

"The guy (Higgins) who's marking me stayed on me, so I was trying to drag him as far away from the play as I could, but I was fairly limited in what I could do," said O'Gara.

"I was (expecting Higgins to push forward), but he didn't. Maybe he thought I was codding him."

Dublin finished the game with just 13 fully operational players on the field because of concussion sustained by Rory O'Carroll and O'Gara's hamstring tear.

O'Gara knew he had no choice but to remain on the field, despite the restrictions he faced.

"I sprinted out for a ball and I felt it pop. I'd done it before, so I knew straight away it was the hamstring," he recalled. "I was hoping it wouldn't be as bad as it was, when I started trying to move again. But then I knew it was gone.

"I thought we had a substitution left, so I gestured to take me off. It's the last thing you want to be doing in an All-Ireland final with 15 minutes to go, asking to come off. But I found out we had no subs, so it was a case of soldier on... I was told to stay on the end line!"

Syferus

larryin89

Yet another daft word to try and make the resident Rosie look intelligent .

Could be a bit of irony in this one mind according to google.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

southdown

Quote from: rrhf on October 04, 2013, 01:19:24 PM
Micko Dwyer would win an ai with mayo as would Sean Boylan, Mickey Harte and joe Kernan.

Football is a lot different now from when any of the guys managed an AI win.

From the Bunker

Jez, this thread was re-opened four months later to tell us that? Feck, what stone have you been hiding under?What if Cillian had not dislocated his shoulder, Andy had not done his cruciate the year before, if Cunniffe ad not done his hamstring n the final, if Barry Moran, Jason Doherty and Conroy were not injured for most of the year and 100% match fit, if our goalkeeper Clarke had not done his knee, if Rob Hennelly had not come for the ball for Brogans goal, If Cillian had gone for goal instead of a point with the last kick. What if, what if, what if?

stew

Quote from: Rossfan on October 04, 2013, 10:48:55 AM
98 v Galway in Castlebar , I always believe we would of won it that year ,

FFS  >:( >:(

Is this enough to get you angry? Take a tablet kid!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 15, 2014, 03:39:47 PM
Jez, this thread was re-opened four months later to tell us that? Feck, what stone have you been hiding under?What if Cillian had not dislocated his shoulder, Andy had not done his cruciate the year before, if Cunniffe ad not done his hamstring n the final, if Barry Moran, Jason Doherty and Conroy were not injured for most of the year and 100% match fit, if our goalkeeper Clarke had not done his knee, if Rob Hennelly had not come for the ball for Brogans goal, If Cillian had gone for goal instead of a point with the last kick. What if, what if, what if?

And Dillon crocked most of the time as well and unable to train properly.

So what if, with all these fitness concerns among the forwards, the manager had not decided to cut the in-form forward from the panel.

The more I see of Mayo football the more I think we want to keep losing finals, such are the decisions we have made over the year.