2013 All Ireland Final: Mayo v Dublin

Started by All of a Sludden, August 26, 2013, 10:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on October 03, 2013, 03:30:22 AM
Depressing stuff on here. You'd swear these managers were going out to lose games on purpose.
Look at the Higgins switch - everyone agrees that he was a loss around the middle of the field. What if Horan broughy on Kevin Keane and O'Gara scored a goal off him. "Horan hasn't learned from his mistakes in last year's final", everyone would say. If he brought in McHale and O'Gara scored a couple of points from play - "What was he thinking of bringing on an untested player in an All Ireland Final and us with an Allstar corner back playing in the forwards?!"

And the Freeman issue. Horan has come out in the media and stated that Freeman wasn't full fit / well. Until Alan Freeman comes out in public and refutes that, we have to take it at face value. I don't care who was talking to his mother / father / first cousin twice removed.

I could go on about the game, but most of it has been said and re-hashed

It reminds me of post-97. Anything that went wrong in Mayo football was accompanied with "F**kin' Maughan" as if
1) He was the only man with any input into whether we won an All Ireland
2) Mayo only needed to turn up to win - how dare he lose and
3) He somehow intended for Mayo to lose a final.

People who are calling for Horan's head have very short memories indeed. He has brought us a long way in a short time and has earned another crack at it. If he stays on and ultimately comes up short, he should be thanked for his efforts and congratulated on his achievements.

Great post Deeler, Horan IMHO is one of the top 4 managers in the country at present, it is crazy that we are even having this debate about him leaving.....Micko is available!!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 03, 2013, 04:12:52 AM
Quote from: maigheo on October 03, 2013, 03:37:18 AM
Jeez Larry are you serious about JOM.To say that he had anything to do with Mayo's success over the past three years is crazy.Not even going to bother arguing with you as you have to be a WUm.Horan is not above  criticism but I find it very strange that so many people want to get rid of him after a 13 and 3 record over 3 years.Reading some of the posts on the WJ blog and Aiden Henry in the CTyou would think that Horan had never played or managed  above junior b level before he took the Mayo job.Sometimes I think we deserve managers like Johnno as alot of supporters never appreciate a good manager when we stumble across one.
I know it didn't work out for him or Mayo on his return however any manager that can bring teams to four All Ireland finals and win two of them can't be that bad?
It's hard to credit alright but the facts suggest otherwise. Johnno took over a team of A-I runners up in 2007 and led them downhill all the way until the abject surrender to Longford in the qualifiers in 2010.
I've been following Mayo for over half a century and I've never seen such a clueless display as I saw that day. The game before that when Sligo knocked us out of the Connacht championship came a close second.
Since Horan replaced him in 2011, Mayo have appeared in 3 A-I semis, winning two of them and in the process, winning 3 Connachts on the trot. Horan has managed to do this with basically the same squad of players that O'Mahony used for the Longford match.
Ten survivors from the Longford debacle started against Dublin last Sunday week. Another, David Clarke, was missing because of injury and Barry Moran came on as a sub.
So Horan has been using the same players more or less as O'Mahony had and is coming up with far more impressive results.
If Horan does decide to step down, nobody will be calling for the return of O'Mahony and that's for sure.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

From the Bunker

I've done a top ten (in order) of the worst losses in the Championship Mayo have had over 25 years. This years AI final would not even make it anyway near these losses. Some real days of shame!

1 - 2004 AI final Hammering to Kerry
2 - 1993 Semifinal hammering to Cork
3 - 2006 AI final Hammering to Kerry
4 -  1992 semi-final loss to Donegal
5 -  1994 Connacht final loss to Leitrim
6 - 1995 Connacht final Hammering to Galway
7 - 2001 loss to Westmeath
8 - 2007 Hammering to Derry
9 - 2012 Loss to Longford
10- 2002 loss to Fermanagh

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 03, 2013, 02:44:13 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 03, 2013, 04:12:52 AM
Quote from: maigheo on October 03, 2013, 03:37:18 AM
Jeez Larry are you serious about JOM.To say that he had anything to do with Mayo's success over the past three years is crazy.Not even going to bother arguing with you as you have to be a WUm.Horan is not above  criticism but I find it very strange that so many people want to get rid of him after a 13 and 3 record over 3 years.Reading some of the posts on the WJ blog and Aiden Henry in the CTyou would think that Horan had never played or managed  above junior b level before he took the Mayo job.Sometimes I think we deserve managers like Johnno as alot of supporters never appreciate a good manager when we stumble across one.
I know it didn't work out for him or Mayo on his return however any manager that can bring teams to four All Ireland finals and win two of them can't be that bad?
It's hard to credit alright but the facts suggest otherwise. Johnno took over a team of A-I runners up in 2007 and led them downhill all the way until the abject surrender to Longford in the qualifiers in 2010.
I've been following Mayo for over half a century and I've never seen such a clueless display as I saw that day. The game before that when Sligo knocked us out of the Connacht championship came a close second.
Since Horan replaced him in 2011, Mayo have appeared in 3 A-I semis, winning two of them and in the process, winning 3 Connachts on the trot. Horan has managed to do this with basically the same squad of players that O'Mahony used for the Longford match.
Ten survivors from the Longford debacle started against Dublin last Sunday week. Another, David Clarke, was missing because of injury and Barry Moran came on as a sub.
So Horan has been using the same players more or less as O'Mahony had and is coming up with far more impressive results.
If Horan does decide to step down, nobody will be calling for the return of O'Mahony and that's for sure.

How much money has be pumped into team Horan though? Cian O'Neill last year or Donie Buckley now wouldn't have come cheap. Mayo have probably more members on their management now than ever before.

too many cooks can spoil the broth?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 03, 2013, 03:30:56 PM
I've done a top ten (in order) of the worst losses in the Championship Mayo have had over 25 years. This years AI final would not even make it anyway near these losses. Some real days of shame!

Why is that on the list? Donegal went on to win the All Ireland and their side was mixture of two U21 All Ireland winning teams.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 03, 2013, 05:39:25 PM

Why is that on the list? Donegal went on to win the All Ireland and their side was mixture of two U21 All Ireland winning teams.

No offence to Donegal, But both teams in that semi final were really really awful. As far as i remember Donegal had 18 wides. Tommy Carr and a few of his team mates from Dublin went to the game together and leaving they said to each other they'd beat the pick of both teams. How Donegal got it together for the final is one of the great achievements in Gaelic football!

Captain Obvious

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 03, 2013, 06:32:58 PM

No offence to Donegal, But both teams in that semi final were really really awful. As far as i remember Donegal had 18 wides. Tommy Carr and a few of his team mates from Dublin went to the game together and leaving they said to each other they'd beat the pick of both teams. How Donegal got it together for the final is one of the great achievements in Gaelic football!
One bad performance didn't make Donegal bad over night. Ulster was very strong back then, the 1991,1993,1994 All Ireland winners were also from Ulster and Peter Canavan almost bet Dublin on his own in 1995.

Mayo4Sam

The loss to Cork in 99 should be (high) up that list
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 03, 2013, 06:42:51 PM

One bad performance didn't make Donegal bad over night. Ulster was very strong back then, the 1991,1993,1994 All Ireland winners were also from Ulster and Peter Canavan almost bet Dublin on his own in 1995.

This is not about Donegal. They beat us. It is about how we seriously under performed against a out of sorts Donegal side!

Captain Obvious

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 03, 2013, 07:53:19 PM

This is not about Donegal. They beat us. It is about how we seriously under performed against a out of sorts Donegal side!
As the list states above in the following two years Mayo were hammered by Cork and lost to Leitrim.  Did you really under perform or were you just average to poor back then?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on October 03, 2013, 07:23:04 PM

Was thinking the same myself.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on October 03, 2013, 07:23:04 PM

Yeah. Absolute shite.

Great form in Connacht but as uaual when the tactival bar was raised we were a rabble. Early dominance - Horan s frustration when he made a run and was clear in for a goal chance that player in possession didn t see/ choose to ignore - should have seen us comfortable even after 20 mins. Sound familiar?

Jinxy

You'd have been hammered in the final anyway.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

moysider

Quote from: Jinxy on October 03, 2013, 11:44:52 PM
You'd have been hammered in the final anyway.

Didn t hammer us even when ye had a bent referee in 96. But some **** would have made sure Meath won.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 03, 2013, 09:07:39 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on October 03, 2013, 07:53:19 PM

As the list states above in the following two years Mayo were hammered by Cork and lost to Leitrim.  Did you really under perform or were you just average to poor back then?

We were just average! That's the point of the list!

http://www.thescore.ie/donegal-mayo-all-ireland-semi-1992-601189-Sep2012/