Started by All of a Sludden, August 26, 2013, 10:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 25, 2013, 01:38:19 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 25, 2013, 12:25:17 PM
[What age is The Mort now?

He's the same age as Alan Dillon, 31!

and we are not going there!

So is there another Mort in the pipeline?
And by that I mean a corner forward who scores from play.
Who was the best u-21 forward this year?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Any crack from David Brady???????? he was blowing his load regularly on the build up to this game

Tubberman

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on September 26, 2013, 10:11:47 AM
Any crack from David Brady???????? he was blowing his load regularly on the build up to this game

You need to get over this obsession - you sound like you might blow your load thinking about DB regularly yourself.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Tubberman on September 26, 2013, 10:17:59 AM

You need to get over this obsession - you sound like you might blow your load thinking about DB regularly yourself.

Now now in fairness, the man has dished it to Dublin very harshly over the years, Im actually looking for a newspaper article or a radio snippet of his review on the game

ballinaman

Aye squire, it's becoming unhealthy....we don't even pay him as much attention as you do....and I'm from Ballina!

Farrandeelin

Squire, buy the Sunday World next Sunday. ::)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: ballinaman on September 26, 2013, 10:36:14 AM

Aye squire, it's becoming unhealthy....we don't even pay him as much attention as you do....and I'm from Ballina!

DB said he reads the message boards once. Don't be going coy on us, DB.

Rossfan

Quote from: moysider on September 25, 2013, 11:47:39 PM
I honestly think the Mayo support calved in the second half because we came out so flat it scared the shit out of a lot us. Maybe the reason for this will eventually emerge but we were nowhere near we were earlier in the year as regards pace, focus, ambition, intensity etc. It was awful disappointing to see and I still cant believe that this happened. While a few Dublin players were going well a few were ordinary enough on the day so why we looked so much off the pace is still gnawing at me.

Did Mayowr peak for the Donegal game and Dublin do so for the Kerry game??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Sidney

Quote from: Hound on September 26, 2013, 07:58:09 AM
Quote from: Sidney on September 25, 2013, 06:34:27 PM
22:57: Bernard Brogan blown up for overcarrying – correct decision. 11.

That was the one that annoyed me the most at the time. Not sure whether he was being fouled or not, but I counted 4 steps by Bernard then he kickpassed it backward to a Dublin player (and earlier in the half Seamie O'Shea had taken 9 steps and wasn't blown). Bernard all season has stuggled to win frees even when there seems to be 2 or 3 lads around him taking lumps off him. I noticed Stephen O'Neill of Tyrone similarly needs to be nearly assualted before a ref gives a free in his favour.

But no ref can possibly get everything right and often decisions are marginal, so its easy for an armchair critic to pick out moments where his team has been hard done by. You just hope for someone who's consistent and blows up for the same incidents on both sides. I thought for the first 20-25 minutes McQuillian was perhaps blowing up a little too quickly anytime the player in possession went to ground, but generally was probably fine overall.
I don't think Bernard was being fouled and he definitely took at least nine steps after he bounced it, granted they were small steps but as far as I know the rulebook doesn't differentiate between small and big steps.  ;)

Conversely to that, I'm now satisfied having looked at the incident about 10 times that Andy Moran brought Rory O'Carroll down with him in that last play before half-time and that McQuillan got that one correct in giving Dublin a free-out.

The foul on Bernard Brogan by Ger Cafferkey at 56:08 is another one I'm a bit dubious about. Brogan seemed to misjudge the bounce of the ball in to him, and while there appears to be some sort of a pushing movement by Cafferkey's arms it almost seems to be after the ball had gone. I'd put it in the debatable category.

It just shows that even with TV replays it's still very, very difficult to call some incidents.

ballinaman

Quote from: Sidney on September 26, 2013, 11:38:48 AM
The foul on Bernard Brogan by Ger Cafferkey at 56:08 is another one I'm a bit dubious about. Brogan seemed to misjudge the bounce of the ball in to him, and while there appears to be some sort of a pushing movement by Cafferkey's arms it almost seems to be after the ball had gone. I'd put it in the debatable category.

It just shows that even with TV replays it's still very, very difficult to call some incidents.
I was directly in line with that incident in the lower Cusack in row D so had a perfect few and thought it was very harsh but I had the benefit of a side on few where you could see that contact was minimal. From Joe's position you could see why he gave it though....

Fuzzman

Bernard all season has struggled to win frees even when there seems to be 2 or 3 lads around him taking lumps off him. I noticed Stephen O'Neill of Tyrone similarly needs to be nearly assaulted before a ref gives a free in his favour.

This is something I brought up before and asked refs on the board do they think some refs seem to make special cases for some players that because their considered a star player then they (maybe subconsciously) be a bit tougher on them giving frees.
I've watched this with Stevie for years both at club level (especially) and at inter county. Stevie is very strong and tries to ride the tackle a lot more than others in our team but more often than not the ref plays on and Stevie loses the ball and gets frustrated.

I was amazed this year how much the fans get on Bernard's back. Most top forwards tend to be a bit selfish, especially if they haven't many other good forwards next to them

On another note. How do most of ye think Mannion did this year. To me he looked very dangerous earlier in the year but as the games got harder I felt he struggled a good bit. From the outside looking in I think Rock deserved to start more games in his place. It might have suited Mannion more  as well to come in for the last 20 mins when his man would be tired and Mannion with a point to prove.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Jinxy on September 26, 2013, 09:45:43 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 25, 2013, 01:38:19 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 25, 2013, 12:25:17 PM
[What age is The Mort now?

He's the same age as Alan Dillon, 31!

and we are not going there!

So is there another Mort in the pipeline?
And by that I mean a corner forward who scores from play.
Who was the best u-21 forward this year?

There was a fella called Andy Moran I think who got 1-2 in a game recently ( could have been a big game up in Dublin against the Dubs) from play. ;)

Also ther is some young fella from Ballintubber who scored back to back hatricks this year in the championship who gets the odd score from play as well. ;D ;

Being serious it's our bench players like Varley and Conroy who seem to struggle badly when in tight games to get scores so from the U21's Darren Coen and Evan Regan would probably be the best bet to improve this and challenge for a starting place next year with both being involved this year but just not making the break through yet. Adam Gallagher and Connor O' Shea are two who could beef up competition in the half forwards with Danny Kirby hopefully getting a run in midfield at some time too.

AMayoFan

Quote from: Crete Boom on September 26, 2013, 12:08:40 PM

Being serious it's our bench players like Varley and Conroy who seem to struggle badly when in tight games to get scores so from the U21's Darren Coen and Evan Regan would probably be the best bet to improve this and challenge for a starting place next year with both being involved this year but just not making the break through yet. Adam Gallagher and Connor O' Shea are two who could beef up competition in the half forwards with Danny Kirby hopefully getting a run in midfield at some time too.

absolutely, and this from a Mayo perspective we now must look too. New blood, push players for starting places, and develop our future stars.

Throw ball

Quote from: Fuzzman on September 26, 2013, 11:49:28 AM
Bernard all season has struggled to win frees even when there seems to be 2 or 3 lads around him taking lumps off him. I noticed Stephen O'Neill of Tyrone similarly needs to be nearly assaulted before a ref gives a free in his favour.

This is something I brought up before and asked refs on the board do they think some refs seem to make special cases for some players that because their considered a star player then they (maybe subconsciously) be a bit tougher on them giving frees.

Always got the impression that Jamie Clarke finds it difficult to get frees too. That is of course unless he is about to score a goal and Maurice Deegan is the referee.

Buckass

Fair play Sidney...some analysis there! Did you have a look at rock,s pass/throw to MDM prior to Flynn point?