2013 All Ireland Final: Mayo v Dublin

Started by All of a Sludden, August 26, 2013, 10:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Jinxy on September 25, 2013, 12:25:17 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 24, 2013, 11:08:06 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 24, 2013, 09:46:17 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 24, 2013, 09:39:07 PM
Most years I am gutted for weeks after the final but today I feel a sense of determination we will be back in the final next year and will win it. I hope the lads on the team and those surrounding them feel the same or soon will.

Funny you say that, I've the same feeling! Strange, but good!

I predicted about this time last year that we would lose 3 AIs in a row :'( :'( :'(

Chances are that if we do get back to a final next year we will be playing the Dubs again. A semi final would be Munster and a 1/4 could be a Cork or a Kerry! That s the harsh reality but another final is attainable but winning it would be a different matter altogether - especially if it is Dublin again. And the reality is that any opposition would be empowered playing us in a final.

I hope Horan does stay on but the same again will not be good enough again. A few new players need to be found.

Disappointing we had nobody on the bench that could be trusted to mark O Gara. If Caff. goes( I appreciate he s not everybody's cup of tea but....)   it leaves a hole and filling it might not be easy. The 2 most likely replacements were not trusted to come on yesterday.

We need genuine 13 corner forward. I still think it was a mistake to discard Regan, but he s barely 20 and another year will see him more mature. But he s the type of player we need imo. Has the quality and wont be fazed by a big occasion. Likes scoring goals and plenty of them.

But apart from that we re not too badly off. There s going to be 5 or 6 All Stars in that squad. What are they going to do? Fishing? Gardening?

What age is The Mort now?
He's just over the 30 mark.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

seafoid

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on September 25, 2013, 12:10:59 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 25, 2013, 11:48:07 AM
Quote from: seafoid on September 25, 2013, 10:52:56 AM
Quote from: moysider on September 24, 2013, 11:08:06 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 24, 2013, 09:46:17 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 24, 2013, 09:39:07 PM
Most years I am gutted for weeks after the final but today I feel a sense of determination we will be back in the final next year and will win it. I hope the lads on the team and those surrounding them feel the same or soon will.

Funny you say that, I've the same feeling! Strange, but good!

I predicted about this time last year that we would lose 3 AIs in a row :'( :'( :'(

That is very depressing really. Just because it's Mayo.
Are kids marked from birth ? How did Tyrone deal with over a century of winning nothing?
Even Armagh won an all Ireland ;).

I would get Billy Morgan and Nudie Hughes up to Ballina to talk about thinking positive
despite a long, long history of failure.

Nudie especially.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntousxt8iJ8

Of course its depressing and I realise this shit has me depressed for years.

It s not because I m negative - I ve seen us lose 7 AIs in a row ffs and any amount of psychobabble bullshit from Nudie or anybody else is going to change that. Another final next year against the same opposition would probably end up similarly imo. Experience informs me that that would be the most likely outcome. Sure there would be Mayo fans full of bluster again. I cant do that. I d be a happier man if I could. At least I d be able to enjoy the build up rather than being pissed off even before we lose.

Feel exactly the same Moysider, this has to be the greatest pisser of a final loss, i genuinely think, if we are in the same position again next year, the outcome will not be any different.................its a shit feeling at the moment...............
I know a few Indian cricket fans and they always talk about pre Kapil Dev and and post him. They never won anything until 1983 and the Cricket  World Cup. Even serial losers turn things around. Dev was amazing. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1olxt_qLAm4

Count 10

A Dream Deferred

by Langston Hughes

Langston Hughes homepage

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?

Never give up Mayo!!

Bingo

Only dawned on me reading the paper there but Cluxton scored the winning point again on Sunday, two All-irelands he has done that.

Trying to remember as well but wasn't that for a "free" on Brogan that was never a free?

muppet

Munster.

Then Leinster.

Remember the few thousand Mayo fans in Croker against Cork 2011? When it comes it will catch us off guard and it will be amazing.

For the moment we can rejoice in being the Ark Garfunkel to Dublin's Paul Simon. We are the Andrew Ridgely to Kerry's George Michael. We are the Rhydian to Tyrone's eh...I forget who won that one.
MWWSI 2017

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: seafoid on September 25, 2013, 01:59:40 PM

.......... Even serial losers turn things around. Dev was amazing

Dev Óg isn't half the man ;)
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Declan

AS THE CELEBRATIONS raged around him, Jonny Cooper had the presence of mind to check in on an old friend.
For the Dublin defender an All-Ireland medal was a fitting end to his first full Championship season and the perfect tonic after watching the capital's 2011 win from the stands.
For goalkeeper Rob Hennelly and all of Mayo, Sunday's one-point defeat was another room to add to the county's house of pain.
Cooper and Hennelly were team-mates on the DCU side which won the Sigerson Cup in 2012 and, amid the agony and ecstasy, they shared a touching moment of sportsmanship

"Team mates are team mates and I'd be very good friends with Rob from DCU," Cooper explained. "I suppose we've soldiered together for a number of years in DCU.
"It is what it is when you go over the white line. That's the way it goes. One of us was going to be victorious and one of us wasn't.
Cooper finished Sunday's final on the sidelines, substituted in the second half after an accidental clash of heads with Mayo captain Andy Moran left him concussed and visibly dazed.
Manager Jim Gavin and the Dublin medical team quickly knew that Cooper was in no way fit to continue, an assessment backed up when the Na Fianna man vomited in the dugout minutes later.
"I definitely can remember the game," Cooper said. "I think I was sitting on the bench with Alan Brogan and Paddy Andrews and just kind of asked them to keep me up to date with the goings on in the match.
I suppose All-Irelands are there to be won," he added. "We had to try and dive on every ball and if we could do that, we'd be in with a chance of being victorious. That's what it was going to take."
If Sunday was tough, Cooper knows that retaining Dublin's All-Ireland crown in 2014 will be every bit as difficult.
"You can see with Donegal this year and ourselves last year, it definitely was difficult.
"We'll enjoy this moment as it is and when Jim gets back down to earth in a couple of weeks, I have no doubt we'll get focused again.

So good guys don't always finish second

JBM on the 21

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 25, 2013, 01:22:34 PM
What I f**king hate the most is the pity, the ah ye deserve to win one attitude.

We dont deserve anything until we win it
And that attitude is grand from Dubs, Kerry even tyrones but the rest of the people can f**k right off. I'd sooner have lost 7 than not been in them.
The craic and excitement leading up to All Ireland final day is brilliant, I can only imagine that we'll turn into arseholes once we do win it.
As Keith Duggan wrote after 06 Kerry (and maybe Dublin) are the only ones who can feel sorry for us really

Mayo will get there eventually. I remember when Cork lost to Meath in 87 and 88 the feeling of despair around the place (especially after the controversial surroundings of the 88 final. They got nothing both grief within the county (they were soft, couldn't physically stand up to Meath, could not be relied on like the hurlers), but they came back from it and won the following year and then beat Meath the year after that after being down to 14 men for the majority of the match. (In my mind, the sweetest All Ireland Cork have ever won in both codes) That same group went through the heartbreak of 87 and 88 to emerge from it and Mayo can do it as well.

deiseach

Quote from: JBM on the 21 on September 25, 2013, 02:44:39 PM
Mayo will get there eventually. I remember when Cork lost to Meath in 87 and 88 the feeling of despair around the place (especially after the controversial surroundings of the 88 final. They got nothing both grief within the county (they were soft, couldn't physically stand up to Meath, could not be relied on like the hurlers), but they came back from it and won the following year and then beat Meath the year after that after being down to 14 men for the majority of the match. (In my mind, the sweetest All Ireland Cork have ever won in both codes) That same group went through the heartbreak of 87 and 88 to emerge from it and Mayo can do it as well.

Chicago Cubs.

passedit

Quote from: deiseach on September 25, 2013, 03:01:28 PM

Chicago Cubs.

That's harsh and from a Waterford man too. I prefer to look at the Red Sox they even had a curse too!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_the_Bambino
Don't Panic

deiseach

Quote from: passedit on September 25, 2013, 03:12:32 PM
Quote from: deiseach on September 25, 2013, 03:01:28 PM

Chicago Cubs.

That's harsh and from a Waterford man too. I prefer to look at the Red Sox they even had a curse too!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_the_Bambino

In Waterford, we benefit from having low expectations.

I follow the exploits of the Red Sox. One of the things on my bucket list is to see a ball game in Fenway Park. When I got my first house in 2003 we had a Telewest sub with trial access to NESN and I got hooked on baseball in general and the efforts of the Red Sox to 'reverse the curse' in particular. They fell short that year in a manner that any Mayo fan could relate to. And while they got there at last in 2004, many a native of Beantown would have been born in 1919 and died in 2003. It's harsh, but it's the reality.

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Bingo on September 25, 2013, 02:04:33 PM
Only dawned on me reading the paper there but Cluxton scored the winning point again on Sunday, two All-irelands he has done that.

Trying to remember as well but wasn't that for a "free" on Brogan that was never a free?
do you not know that in culchie land all frees awarded to Dublin are not frees and all frees awarded against them are due to their poor tackling

Rossfan

Quote from: Johnnybegood on September 25, 2013, 03:39:46 PM
Quote from: Bingo on September 25, 2013, 02:04:33 PM

do you not know that in culchie Gavin land all frees awarded to against Dublin are not frees
Fixed that for you. ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Sidney

I have conducted a comprehensive analysis of Joe McQuillan's performance and every decision he made in the match. Mistakes and borderline decisions in bold, frees to Dublin in italics. While the numbers show he did make a lot of mistakes, none was especially obvious, and overall I believe he did a decent enough enough job in what was a very tough game to referee.
-----

01:45: Michael Darragh McAuley crashes into the back of Donal Vaughan – free correctly awarded. 1.

03:08 – Paddy Andrews late slap to the chest on Kevin McLoughlin – foul and probable yellow card but not given

04:30 – Paul Mannion fouls Tom Cunniffe – free correctly awarded for leading with elbow rather than shoulder. 2.

06:25 – Michael Darragh McAuley brings down Seamus O'Shea – correct decision. 3.
08:04 Paul Flynn adjudged to have fouled Donal Vaughan at kickout – borderline, but incident not fully covered by camera, so debatable. Free given. 4

08:22 Jonny Cooper fouls Andy Moran – incorrect decision. 5.

11:35: Philly McMahon picks the ball off the ground – free correctly awarded. 6.

12:40 Tom Cunniffe fouls Paul Mannion – free correctly awarded. 1

14:01: Diarmuid Connolly tackle on Lee Keegan – free given, slightly soft but still probably a correctly awarded free. 7.

15:47: Chris Barrett closed hand tackle on Ciaran Kilkenny – foul not awarded, incorrect decision, Dublin got the goal seconds later so McQuillan's incorrect decision in this case ended up benefitting them.

18:28: Eoghan O'Gara push in the back on Ger Cafferkey – free correctly awarded. Free correctly moved up 13 metres for obstruction by O'Gara. 8.

19:19: Ciaran Kilkenny fouled by a combination of two Mayo players, free correctly awarded and correctly moved up 13 metres for knocking the ball out of Kilkenny's hand as he was about to take the free. 2.

19:50: Alan Freeman fouled by Rory O'Carroll tackle to the face and Jack McCaffrey tackle to the face – correct decision but McQuillan could have allowed advantage – Freeman worked a goal chance but in the referee's defence a goal did not look on when the initial foul was made and it was in a clear scoring area so any advantage would had to have been an obvious goal chance. 9.

21:35: Seamus O'Shea held up by Cian O'Sullivan – free correctly awarded. 10.

22:30: Lee Keegan gets a yellow card for dragging back Diarmuid Connolly – correct decision. Free given. 3.

22:57: Bernard Brogan blown up for overcarrying – correct decision. 11.

23:55 Paddy Andrews penalised for push on Keith Higgins – free awarded, borderline decision, certainly softish. 12.

26:30 Dublin incorrectly awarded a 45 (which Stephen Cluxton pointed) when Michael Darragh McAuley's shot was saved by Hennelly but rebounded off McAuley. Umpiring decision.

27:45: Alan Dillon caught in possession and tackle around the head area by both Diarmuid Connolly and Ciaran Kilkenny – free correctly awarded. 13

27:57: Andy Moran falls over theatrically in an attempt to win a free but McQuillan correctly ignores it. Correct decision.

33:13: Lee Keegan pulls Diarmuid Connolly's jersey – free correctly awarded. 4.

35:16: Cian O'Sullivan takes 11 steps – free to Mayo should have been given but wasn't.

35:28: Cillian O'Connor puts his arm around Jack McCaffrey's neck – free correctly given. 5.

36:05: Andy Moran clearly fouled by Cian O'Sullivan and Rory O'Carroll – free incorrectly given to Dublin. 6.

--------

37:25 Bernard Brogan catches Keith Higgins around the neck in an attempt to tackle but a free is not given.

38:53: Cillian O'Connor drags down Philly McMahon as the two go for the ball but McQuillan gives Dublin the advantage and allows them play their way out. Correct advantage.

39:20: Chris Barrett leaves a boot in on Ciaran Kilkenny as he attempts to pick the ball up. Free should have been given but wasn't.

40:46: James McCarthy leads with the elbow on Colm Boyle. Free not awarded. Probably not serious enough to warrant a yellow card, though.

40:50: Eoghan O'Gara cynically pulls down Colm Boyle and then leans in with the knee to prevent Boyle getting up quickly. Free correctly awarded, but a yellow card should have been awarded too. Would have been a black card offence next year. 13.

41:07: Paul Flynn trips Andy Moran just outside the penalty area. No free given.

41:10: Moran is crowded out by three Dublin players. All tackles look fair, and Moran probably overplays the ball. Free incorrectly awarded, perhaps to make up for what had happened a few seconds earlier. 14.

42:33: Keith Higgins pushed over by Eoghan O'Gara. Free correctly awarded. 15.

44:55 Cathal Carolan fouls Darren Daly. Free correctly awarded. 7.

45:53: Diarmuid Connolly fouls Lee Keegan. Free correctly awarded. 16.

47:00 Michael Conroy goes down under pressure from Jonny Cooper in a scoring area. Cooper and Rory O'Carroll both lay hands on his neck during the incident. Borderline free, but not given.

47:57: Eoghan O'Gara tackles Donal Vaughan around the neck and then drags him down from behind. Yellow card correctly given. Should have been a second yellow offence for O'Gara. 17.

51:00 Cillian O'Connor pulls back Rory O'Carroll. Free correctly awarded. 8.

54:22. Paul Flynn pulls Kevin McLoughlin's jersey. Free correctly awarded. 18.

54:31. Cian O'Sullivan fouls Andy Moran. Free correctly awarded. 19.

56:08. Ger Cafferkey adjudged to have pushed Bernard Brogan in the back. Difficult to see from camera angle but McQuillan seemed quite certain of the decision so was likely correct. 9.

57:59: Rory O'Carroll gets a yellow card for a tackle on Enda Varley. This was a very marginal decision. On the live viewing it looked shoulder to shoulder, and it's an honest attempt to tackle fairly, but O'Carroll does get very slightly above Varley's shoulder and crashes into his head. Purely on a live viewing I would have called it as a wrong decision. But either decision would have been understandable. 20

62:35: Darren Daly fouls Colm Boyle and throws ball back to stop it being taken quickly. Free correctly awarded. 21.

64:23 Darren Daly fouls Enda Varley. Free given. Attemped shoulder to shoulder, but probably a foul. Debatable yellow, I probably wouldn't have given it. 22.

64:57: Bernard Brogan drags Aidan O'Shea down around the neck and then knocks the ball out of his hand before he can take it. Free correctly given and correctly moved forward 13 metres. Yellow card should have been given. 23.

65:57: Dean Rock fouls Colm Boyle. Free given, but looked soft and I would not have awarded it. 24.

66:13. Andy Moran fouls Cian O'Sullivan from behind. Softish, but still probably a free. 10.

67:20. Colm Boyle lunges at Kevin McManamon. Free correctly awarded. Yellow card awarded, slightly harshly. 11.

68:40: Kevin McManamon rugby tackles Lee Keegan and holds him down with his body to stop him getting up. Free and yellow card correctly awarded. Would be a stonewall black card offence next year. Worst foul of the match. 25.

69:10: Darren Daly pushes Enda Varley. Free correctly awarded. 26.

69:51: Keith Higgins pulls Kevin McManamon's jersey on the Cusack Stand side 35 metres out. Free not given.

70:14: Ger Brennan fouls Ger Cafferkey around the neck and repeatedly obstructs him from taking a quick free. Free and yellow card correctly awarded. 27.

70:36: Dean Rock pulls back Aidan O'Shea in midfield. Free correctly awarded. Should have been a yellow card. 28.

70:43: Donal Vaughan fouled by Darren Daly (I think) in a scoring area 25m out. Philly McMahon is fouled by Colm Boyle and free to Dublin is given.12.

71:27: Dean Rock fouls Chris Barrett. Free correctly awarded. 29.

71:38: Colm Boyle slapped around the face by Denis Bastick. Free correctly awarded. 30.

72:52. James McCarthy blown up for overcarrying. Free correctly awarded. 31.

73:27: Darren Daly holds up Enda Varley. Free correctly awarded. 32.

Sidney

Actual free count:
Mayo 32 Dublin 12

Correct decisions by Joe McQuillan:

Overall mistakes by Joe McQuillan:

Free count should have been:
Mayo 35 Dublin 13

Actual yellow cards given to Dublin players: 5
O'Gara
O'Carroll (wrongly awarded in my view)
Daly (wrongly awarded in my view)
McManamon
Brennan

Should have been given a yellow card - Dublin: 4
Andrews - late and deliberate slap to the chest of Kevin McLoughlin
O'Gara (before his actual yellow card) – cynical pull down on Colm Boyle
Brogan – neck high tackle on Aidan O'Shea and knocking the ball out of the hand, stopping a quick free
Rock - cynical pull back on Aidan O'Shea

Actual yellow cards given to Mayo players:
Keegan
Boyle (wrongly awarded in my view)

No Mayo player wrongly escaped a yellow card.

Frees Mayo were wrongly awarded: 6 (3 of which resulted in points)

08:04 Paul Flynn fouls Donal Vaughan at kickout – borderline, not fully covered by camera. Free given. 4

08:22 Jonny Cooper fouls Andy Moran – incorrect decision. 5

23:55 Paddy Andrews penalised for push on Keith Higgins – free awarded, borderline decision, certainly softish. 12.

41:10: Moran is crowded out by three Dublin players. All tackles look fair, and Moran probably overplays the ball. Free incorrectly awarded, perhaps to make up for what had happened a few seconds earlier. 15.

57:59: Rory O'Carroll gets a yellow card for a tackle on Enda Varley. This was a very marginal decision. On the live viewing it looked shoulder to shoulder, and it's an honest attempt to tackle fairly, but O'Carroll does get very slightly above Varley's shoulder and crashes into his head. Purely on a live viewing I would have called it as a wrong decision. But either decision would have been understandable. 21

65:57: Dean Rock fouls Colm Boyle. Free given, but looked soft and I would not have awarded it. 25.

Frees Dublin were wrongly awarded: 2 (0 of which resulted in points)

36:05: Andy Moran clearly fouled by Cian O'Sullivan and Rory O'Carroll – free incorrectly given to Dublin. 6.

70:43: Donal Vaughan fouled by Darren Daly (I think) in a scoring area 25m out. Philly McMahon is fouled by Colm Boyle and free to Dublin is given.12.

Frees Mayo should have been awarded: 8 (4 of which would have been point scoring oppurtunities)
03:08 – Paddy Andrews late slap to the chest on Kevin McLoughlin – foul and probable yellow card but not given

35:16: Cian O'Sullivan takes 11 steps – free to Mayo should have been given but wasn't.

37:25 Bernard Brogan catches Keith Higgins around the neck in an attempt to tackle but a free is not given.

40: 46: James McCarthy leads with the elbow on Colm Boyle. Free not awarded. Probably not serious enough to warrant a yellow card, though. Advantage accrued to Mayo.

41:07: Paul Flynn trips Andy Moran just outside the penalty area. No free given.

47:00 Michael Conroy goes down under pressure from Jonny Cooper in a scoring area. Cooper and Rory O'Carroll both lay hands on his neck during the incident. Borderline free, but not given.

70:43: Donal Vaughan fouled by Darren Daly (I think) in a scoring area 25m out. Philly McMahon is fouled by Colm Boyle and a free to Dublin is given.12.

Frees Dublin should have been awarded: 3 (2 of which would have been point scoring oppurtunities)

15:47: Chris Barrett closed hand tackle on Ciaran Kilkenny – foul not awarded, incorrect decision, Dublin got the goal seconds later so McQuillan's incorrect decision in this case ended up benefitting them.

39:20: Chris Barrett leaves a boot in on Ciaran Kilkenny as he attempts to pick the ball up. Free should have been given but wasn't.

69:51: Keith Higgins pulls Kevin McManamon's jersey on the Cusack Stand side 35 metres out. Free not given.

Umpiring mistakes: 1 (which resulted in a point)

26:30 Dublin incorrectly awarded a 45 (which Stephen Cluxton pointed) when Michael Darragh McAuley's shot was saved by Hennelly but rebounded off McAuley. Umpiring decision.