2013 All Ireland Final: Mayo v Dublin

Started by All of a Sludden, August 26, 2013, 10:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: seafoid on September 25, 2013, 10:52:56 AM
Quote from: moysider on September 24, 2013, 11:08:06 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 24, 2013, 09:46:17 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 24, 2013, 09:39:07 PM
Most years I am gutted for weeks after the final but today I feel a sense of determination we will be back in the final next year and will win it. I hope the lads on the team and those surrounding them feel the same or soon will.

Funny you say that, I've the same feeling! Strange, but good!

I predicted about this time last year that we would lose 3 AIs in a row :'( :'( :'(

That is very depressing really. Just because it's Mayo.
Are kids marked from birth ? How did Tyrone deal with over a century of winning nothing?
Even Armagh won an all Ireland ;).

I would get Billy Morgan and Nudie Hughes up to Ballina to talk about thinking positive
despite a long, long history of failure.

Nudie especially.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntousxt8iJ8

Of course its depressing and I realise this shit has me depressed for years.

It s not because I m negative - I ve seen us lose 7 AIs in a row ffs and any amount of psychobabble bullshit from Nudie or anybody else is going to change that. Another final next year against the same opposition would probably end up similarly imo. Experience informs me that that would be the most likely outcome. Sure there would be Mayo fans full of bluster again. I cant do that. I d be a happier man if I could. At least I d be able to enjoy the build up rather than being pissed off even before we lose.

Jinxy

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 25, 2013, 10:49:43 AM
Excellent interview with Andy on Newstalk last nite, said he expected Horan to be back which would be great news. He sat down and watched the match again yesterday, as Wooly said with the nagover and the fear how is that even possible.

Andy also talked about lads looking for their S&C programmes in the next four weeks

Unbelievable commitment, a credit to Mayo

They said that last year too!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: moysider on September 25, 2013, 11:48:07 AM
Quote from: seafoid on September 25, 2013, 10:52:56 AM
Most years I am gutted for weeks after the final but today I feel a sense of determination we will be back in the final next year and will win it. I hope the lads on the team and those surrounding them feel the same or soon will.

I predicted about this time last year that we would lose 3 AIs in a row :'( :'( :'(

That is very depressing really. Just because it's Mayo.
Are kids marked from birth ? How did Tyrone deal with over a century of winning nothing?
Even Armagh won an all Ireland ;).

I would get Billy Morgan and Nudie Hughes up to Ballina to talk about thinking positive
despite a long, long history of failure.

Nudie especially.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntousxt8iJ8

Of course its depressing and I realise this shit has me depressed for years.

It s not because I m negative - I ve seen us lose 7 AIs in a row ffs and any amount of psychobabble bullshit from Nudie or anybody else is going to change that. Another final next year against the same opposition would probably end up similarly imo. Experience informs me that that would be the most likely outcome. Sure there would be Mayo fans full of bluster again. I cant do that. I d be a happier man if I could. At least I d be able to enjoy the build up rather than being pissed off even before we lose.

Feel exactly the same Moysider, this has to be the greatest pisser of a final loss, i genuinely think, if we are in the same position again next year, the outcome will not be any different.................its a shit feeling at the moment...............

ballinaman

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on September 25, 2013, 12:10:59 PM
Feel exactly the same Moysider, this has to be the greatest pisser of a final loss, i genuinely think, if we are in the same position again next year, the outcome will not be any different.................its a shit feeling at the moment...............
That's because it's the most recent and raw...they are all equal for me anyway.

Jinxy

Chances are that if we do get back to a final next year we will be playing the Dubs again. A semi final would be Munster and a 1/4 could be a Cork or a Kerry! That s the harsh reality but another final is attainable but winning it would be a different matter altogether - especially if it is Dublin again. And the reality is that any opposition would be empowered playing us in a final.

I hope Horan does stay on but the same again will not be good enough again. A few new players need to be found.

Disappointing we had nobody on the bench that could be trusted to mark O Gara. If Caff. goes( I appreciate he s not everybody's cup of tea but....)   it leaves a hole and filling it might not be easy. The 2 most likely replacements were not trusted to come on yesterday.

We need genuine 13 corner forward. I still think it was a mistake to discard Regan, but he s barely 20 and another year will see him more mature. But he s the type of player we need imo. Has the quality and wont be fazed by a big occasion. Likes scoring goals and plenty of them.

But apart from that we re not too badly off. There s going to be 5 or 6 All Stars in that squad. What are they going to do? Fishing? Gardening?

What age is The Mort now?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

criostlinn

You know what pisses me off most since Sunday. Its like a fukcin competition to see who can express their disappointment the most. Everywhere I turn someone wants to say how heartbreaking this lose is, how depressed they are and we'll never recover from this.  Get a fukcin grip. Nobody died. Its a game of shaggin football. Mayo always bounce back and will again so just be patient and quit the feckin whining.

Tubberman

Quote from: ballinaman on September 25, 2013, 12:19:08 PM

Lads, this is nowhere close to the dark days of 04 and 06 for me. We were humiliated and a million miles away from winning those days.
That was not the case last year or this year.
We don't know how close we'll be next year or who will/won't be involved, but there's a lot more to be optimistic about than after the Kerry drubbings.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ballinaman

Quote from: Tubberman on September 25, 2013, 12:47:46 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on September 25, 2013, 12:19:08 PM

Lads, this is nowhere close to the dark days of 04 and 06 for me. We were humiliated and a million miles away from winning those days.
That was not the case last year or this year.
We don't know how close we'll be next year or who will/won't be involved, but there's a lot more to be optimistic about than after the Kerry drubbings.
Aye, true, we got our asses handed to us those years.
As criostlinn says, we'll be back, the football will never stop and we'll come again like we always do.

Now when do we start sticking the knives into each other, when are the Club 1/4 finals?

Mayo4Sam

What I f**king hate the most is the pity, the ah ye deserve to win one attitude.

We dont deserve anything until we win it
And that attitude is grand from Dubs, Kerry even tyrones but the rest of the people can f**k right off. I'd sooner have lost 7 than not been in them.
The craic and excitement leading up to All Ireland final day is brilliant, I can only imagine that we'll turn into arseholes once we do win it.
As Keith Duggan wrote after 06 Kerry (and maybe Dublin) are the only ones who can feel sorry for us really
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

deiseach

Quote from: criostlinn on September 25, 2013, 12:33:57 PM
You know what pisses me off most since Sunday. Its like a fukcin competition to see who can express their disappointment the most. Everywhere I turn someone wants to say how heartbreaking this lose is, how depressed they are and we'll never recover from this.  Get a fukcin grip. Nobody died. Its a game of shaggin football. Mayo always bounce back and will again so just be patient and quit the feckin whining.

There's a quote, attributed in my memory to Ger Loughnane after his Clare team came up short yet again in a Munster final. It went something like this: "I know no-one died, but at this moment it feels worse than that." It isn't a sign of weakness or hysteria to admit it hurts. If it didn't, you wouldn't get any thrill out of victory either.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Jinxy on September 25, 2013, 12:25:17 PM
[What age is The Mort now?

He's the same age as Alan Dillon, 31!

and we are not going there!

ballinaman

Quote from: deiseach on September 25, 2013, 01:33:31 PM

There's a quote, attributed in my memory to Ger Loughnane after his Clare team came up short yet again in a Munster final. It went something like this: "I know no-one died, but at this moment it feels worse than that." It isn't a sign of weakness or hysteria to admit it hurts. If it didn't, you wouldn't get any thrill out of victory either.
The bould 50 cent was on the radio yesterday..song had lyrics that I had a wry smile at given the timing : "Joy wouldn't feel so good, if it wasn't for pain"

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zulu on September 25, 2013, 08:06:58 AM
Quote from: rrhf on September 25, 2013, 07:42:00 AM
I'd be confident that Tyrone would have best those two performances on Sunday.

You'd be wrong.

Bet you think the same about the minor final?  ;D

deiseach

Quote from: ballinaman on September 25, 2013, 01:38:50 PM

The bould 50 cent was on the radio yesterday..song had lyrics that I had a wry smile at given the timing : "Joy wouldn't feel so good, if it wasn't for pain"

Deep shit man.

ballinaman

Quote from: deiseach on September 25, 2013, 01:42:09 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on September 25, 2013, 01:38:50 PM

Deep shit man.
I know, the Yeats of our generation..... ;D