All-Ireland Minor Football Championship 2013

Started by Syferus, July 21, 2013, 05:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Minors are fixed for 25th V Monaghan prior to senior game.

ross matt

Quote from: INDIANA on August 05, 2013, 05:37:44 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 05, 2013, 05:31:52 PM
Absolutely mighty. So many heroes today. Delighted, nothing like winning a big championship game. Now let's do it again.

let us know when you win an ould senior game

Bit below the belt for for you Indiana. I normally concur with most of your posts as they are intelligent but pragmatic. Love the current Dub template under Gavin but love Mayo (God forgive me more).

The Rossies have punched well above their (numerical) weight at underage level these last few seasons. Doing everything right. Senior success will eventually come through as a direct consequence.

Bit unfair of you to deride a heroic 14 man minor win v a fancied Kildare side today. You have population & resources that the rest of us only can dream off.

PS genuinely not picking a fight.... really do respect your posts.... but take umbrage to this one.

ross matt

Anyhow well done to the Rossie minors and in particular to Fergie O'Donnell. Still flying the flag and punching above our weight. Dividends at senior level will eventually be delivered.

INDIANA

Quote from: ross matt on August 05, 2013, 08:40:47 PM
Absolutely mighty. So many heroes today. Delighted, nothing like winning a big championship game. Now let's do it again.

Bit below the belt for for you Indiana. I normally concur with most of your posts as they are intelligent but pragmatic. Love the current Dub template under Gavin but love Mayo (God forgive me more).

The Rossies have punched well above their (numerical) weight at underage level these last few seasons. Doing everything right. Senior success will eventually come through as a direct consequence.

Bit unfair of you to deride a heroic 14 man minor win v a fancied Kildare side today. You have population & resources that the rest of us only can dream off.

PS genuinely not picking a fight.... really do respect your posts.... but take umbrage to this one.

I don't see it impacting the senior team a whole lot. Same players from a few years back are still the key players today.

You're in danger of becoming like Galway at underage. You can get married to the whole idea of winning underage titles thing very quickly and in my opinion you are.

I'm not trying to pick a fight either but there has been little or no impact at senior level yet which would make me question where all the resources go.

Syferus

Quote from: INDIANA on August 05, 2013, 08:57:56 PM

I don't see it impacting the senior team a whole lot. Same players from a few years back are still the key players today.

You're in danger of becoming like Galway at underage. You can get married to the whole idea of winning underage titles thing very quickly and in my opinion you are.

I'm not trying to pick a fight either but there has been little or no impact at senior level yet which would make me question where all the resources go.

The most laughable idea surrounding underage is this idea that there is a retarding effect by targetting underage success. If there is a magical way to develop players better by not giving a damn about the result of the games I've yet to see it applied.

Very few counties, even the money bag ones, have succeeded recently without some discerns le underage success. Even Donegal had a good bunch of U21s that reached an AI final to infuse into a talented if under-performing senior team.

Kerry are the exception but they are getting worried about the continued failure of their underage teams and in recent years have started to try and target success at underage. It's pretty clear the delay in doing so has contributed to the situation that finds young Kerry players unable to get a game ahead of mid-30s veterans, they've created a skill gap between the generations and where the younger players are going to end up being given the jersey because the stalwarts retired rather than them earning it from them. That's a symptom of problems with player development.

The Galway comparison is lazy and there are many different factors between the two counties but I'm sick of retreading this ground. Later maybe.

ross matt

Indiana we haven't won nearly as many underage titles as Galway but have competed very well at underage level in recent times. I agree with you that the knock on effect at senior level has yet to be seen but I still maintain underage success/competitiveness is key to altering this. Plus what we see as underage progress and you see as they same are very different.

Croí na hÉireann

Didn't travel but not surprised by that scoreline. I think/hope we will look back in a couple of years as a major opportunity to win something lost. Similar to the u21s in 2010. Well done Mayo, hell of a weekend for ye.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Rossfan

It was a good day to be a Rossie in Tullamore today. ;D ;D
As usual a large crowd of us turned up and boy were we smiling at the end of it.
Fergal certainly got his buckeens right for this one as we more than made up for the things we did wrong  in the Connacht final - we scored the early goals, we were on the front foot all the time, the ball was sent forward intelligantly and with pace and our defence which was so leaky previously was superb today.
A real throwback to 2006.
Kildare were probably shell shocked by our start and maybe believed some of the hype and felt they only had to turn up to win it.
Ref was a card happy fusspot who did us no favours but what the hell.
All our scores came from play too.
Need to be scoring the place kicks next time out lads.
All Ireland between Tyrone and Mayowr I expect. :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Onlooker

Brave effort by Tipp in Longford today.  If that ball that hit the crossbar late in the second half had found the net we might well have won, but we just did not have the scoring power in the forwards that we had for the last 2 years.  Full credit to the team for coming so near to reaching an All Ireland semi final.  Best of luck to Monaghan for the rest of the campaign.  On another note I see that Kerry manager Mickey Ned is giving out about Tyrone's win yesterday.  No suprise in that as he really is a very bad loser.

Syferus

Quote from: Onlooker on August 05, 2013, 10:16:19 PM
Brave effort by Tipp in Longford today.  If that ball that hit the crossbar late in the second half had found the net we might well have won, but we just did not have the scoring power in the forwards that we had for the last 2 years.  Full credit to the team for coming so near to reaching an All Ireland semi final.  Best of luck to Monaghan for the rest of the campaign.  On another note I see that Kerry manager Mickey Ned is giving out about Tyrone's win yesterday.  No suprise in that as he really is a very bad loser.

If it means they'll be pinged for dirty play more we could reap the rewards from Kerry's toil. Need to be cute the next day and be ready for the niggling and off-the-ball stuff.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Syferus on August 05, 2013, 10:29:40 PM

If it means they'll be pinged for dirty play more we could reap the rewards from Kerry's toil. Need to be cute the next day and be ready for the niggling and off-the-ball stuff.

Tyrone stereotype at the end there.

Syferus

Quote from: Aaron Boone on August 05, 2013, 10:49:30 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 05, 2013, 10:29:40 PM

Tyrone stereotype at the end there.

It's a true stereotype. Every team tries it but few are as effective at it as Tyrone. I actually admire the forensic approach Mickey has brought to football, and obviously that's leaked into minor both in Tyrone and elsewhere.

On a purely Roscommon level Mickey Ned and Brolly attacking Tyrone at both tiers means the atmosphere referees will be operating in the semi-finals is going to be different. If that means Tyrone get pinged on an infringement that may have been ignored before it can only be good for us.

It's less a referee being against Tyrone and more them applying the rules that are already there more diligently.

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on August 05, 2013, 09:09:17 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 05, 2013, 08:57:56 PM

The most laughable idea surrounding underage is this idea that there is a retarding effect by targetting underage success. If there is a magical way to develop players better by not giving a damn about the result of the games I've yet to see it applied.

Very few counties, even the money bag ones, have succeeded recently without some discerns le underage success. Even Donegal had a good bunch of U21s that reached an AI final to infuse into a talented if under-performing senior team.

Kerry are the exception but they are getting worried about the continued failure of their underage teams and in recent years have started to try and target success at underage. It's pretty clear the delay in doing so has contributed to the situation that finds young Kerry players unable to get a game ahead of mid-30s veterans, they've created a skill gap between the generations and where the younger players are going to end up being given the jersey because the stalwarts retired rather than them earning it from them. That's a symptom of problems with player development.

The Galway comparison is lazy and there are many different factors between the two counties but I'm sick of retreading this ground. Later maybe.

Nothing lazy about it. I'm from a county whose development systems you've largely copied at this stage. So I'm pretty well versed in the ins and outs of them.

All those minor hurling and u21 all-irelands have yielded nada for Galway at senior level. Its not a guarantee. We've only won 1 all-ireland senior title despite being strong at minor and u21 level since 2000 at football.

The danger is the senior team become a sideshow to the underage teams. I've seen it at hurling in dublin for example. where it definitely was the case for a couple of years.

I'll be honest and say I thought the Roscommon senior team this year against Mayo was very poor from a county that is now very well respected at underage level.

Even basic conditioning looked poor. If the underage systems are as good as you say they are then how come you're languishing in Div 3.

I could level the same at Cavan but the difference is Cavan went out in the championship and did the business.

From the Bunker

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 05, 2013, 11:40:16 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on August 05, 2013, 08:39:31 PM
Minors are fixed for 25th V Monaghan prior to senior game.

Nice one!

Was always going to be that one Bunker, the minor/senior provincial bracketing is the same each year.