All-Ireland Minor Football Championship 2013

Started by Syferus, July 21, 2013, 05:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: INDIANA on August 06, 2013, 11:00:36 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 06, 2013, 10:17:03 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 06, 2013, 09:36:24 AM
Quote from: ross4life on August 06, 2013, 01:20:25 AM
INDIANA moving on from the sly digs at Syferus I'm sure you would agree for county of our size and pick with little or no money it's a fine achievement to win anything at any level  & like said on this thread in page 2 underage success is no guarantee of senior success continued failure at under age practically guarantees failure at senior level.

Thanks to the huge work at underage level we have the best talent available to us for over a decade, our target is to get out of div 3 then take it from there if in say five years we are still in div 3 and no Connacht title won then no doubt in my mind we'll have underachieved.

Wasn't meant to be a sly dig. I think I phrased it wrong. I think you've done remarkably well at underage level but you should be seeing something now at senior level. Otherwise all the work goes to waste.

Indiana, instead of been so aggressive and negative can you offer constructive criticism as to why you believe Roscommon aren't bridging the gap from under-age success to senior. There's a clear defined pathway for players but sometimes I believe history and culture (obviously speaking from experience here) is as much a barrier as just not having good footballers. Roscommon are mentally dwarfed by Mayo and Galway same way Kildare mentally freeze at senior level against Dublin.

Losing Fergal O'Donnell as senior manager has not helped imho, contrasting Kildare and Roscommon yesterday it was easy to see which side was the better managed. At senior I think O'Donnell could really have created a legacy if allowed over 5-10 years, too often now the only barometer of success at senior level is an All-Ireland.

I think Kildare are a slightly different case as they've only started. Kildare should be right up there with dublin every year.  With the population base, clubs etc. But they've neglected the underage totally until recently.

First point- Club structure is vital to supplement the underage structure. And I think that's where both lose out.

Roscommon are dominated like Armagh by one big club and Kildare don't seem to make any impact at club level in recent years either.

You'll only get 3/4 players off any underage team and probably less off a minor team. Minor is less of an indicator. u21 is better- they're playing against men.

But you'll pick up a few from club level if the structures are good enough. Dublin club football is very strong- unfortunately for the wrong reasons in some cases. But lads like Kilkenny and Costello are from Div 3 clubs. That only augurs well for the strength of club football in Dublin.

The second point and crux however is this.

The underage teams can make the senior team become a sideshow. Its happened in Laois and it was the same in Dublin for a while. This year none of our senior u21 panelists trained with the u21's. And we lost to Longford. But I wouldn't change the fact they didn't train. The senior team is number one and always should be.

I'm not sure it is in every county.

That's a pretty good point about club structures, under-age success and strong clubs aren't mutually exclusive though, development squads improves the standard of players and ultimately as long as the clubs retain these players they are the primary beneficiaries. I think the club standard in Kildare is pretty good, Celbridge, Athy, Sarsfields, Larries, Carbury and Moorefield would all fancy their chances but no we haven't made an impact at club level at senior level in Leinster. Our Intermediate sides have dominated though contesting 6 out of the last 8 winning 4.  Our club standard is improving but perhaps only Kerry/Mayo's would be close to Dublin's.

The burden of history though is a bitch especially when you look at the Kildare forum and you seen this team of young lads been called chokers, what kind of message those that send out.  ::)
#newbridgeornowhere

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 06, 2013, 11:35:11 AM
Quote from: Declan on August 06, 2013, 11:02:37 AM
That must be a decent Roscommon team because on the couple of occasions I saw that Kildare team they impressed me

Connacht is very strong at underage again this year by the looks of it. Galway won the minor league in Connacht but lost to Mayo after extra-time after the Galway keeper had a bit of a nightmare under the high ball. No second chance in Connacht either until the final obviously. Mayo are strong, Roscommon are strong. 3 of the 5 or 6 best teams may well have been in Connacht this year

Thought Galway would make the final, best game of the year was the Galway-Roscommon de facto league final before the U21 Connacht final in April.

Mayo are masters at getting goals, though, and that undone both of us even if in general play we were probably the better performers. We were lucky enough to get a second bite of the cherry. Would love an all-Connacht All-Ireland final.

Syferus

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 06, 2013, 11:40:12 AM
INDIANA moving on from the sly digs at Syferus I'm sure you would agree for county of our size and pick with little or no money it's a fine achievement to win anything at any level  & like said on this thread in page 2 underage success is no guarantee of senior success continued failure at under age practically guarantees failure at senior level.

Thanks to the huge work at underage level we have the best talent available to us for over a decade, our target is to get out of div 3 then take it from there if in say five years we are still in div 3 and no Connacht title won then no doubt in my mind we'll have underachieved.

Wasn't meant to be a sly dig. I think I phrased it wrong. I think you've done remarkably well at underage level but you should be seeing something now at senior level. Otherwise all the work goes to waste.

Indiana, instead of been so aggressive and negative can you offer constructive criticism as to why you believe Roscommon aren't bridging the gap from under-age success to senior. There's a clear defined pathway for players but sometimes I believe history and culture (obviously speaking from experience here) is as much a barrier as just not having good footballers. Roscommon are mentally dwarfed by Mayo and Galway same way Kildare mentally freeze at senior level against Dublin.

Losing Fergal O'Donnell as senior manager has not helped imho, contrasting Kildare and Roscommon yesterday it was easy to see which side was the better managed. At senior I think O'Donnell could really have created a legacy if allowed over 5-10 years, too often now the only barometer of success at senior level is an All-Ireland.

I think Kildare are a slightly different case as they've only started. Kildare should be right up there with dublin every year.  With the population base, clubs etc. But they've neglected the underage totally until recently.

First point- Club structure is vital to supplement the underage structure. And I think that's where both lose out.

Roscommon are dominated like Armagh by one big club and Kildare don't seem to make any impact at club level in recent years either.

You'll only get 3/4 players off any underage team and probably less off a minor team. Minor is less of an indicator. u21 is better- they're playing against men.

But you'll pick up a few from club level if the structures are good enough. Dublin club football is very strong- unfortunately for the wrong reasons in some cases. But lads like Kilkenny and Costello are from Div 3 clubs. That only augurs well for the strength of club football in Dublin.

The underage teams can make the senior team become a sideshow. Its happened in Laois and it was the same in Dublin for a while. This year none of our senior u21 panelists trained with the u21's. And we lost to Longford. But I wouldn't change the fact they didn't train. The senior team is number one and always should be.

That's a pretty good point about club structures, under-age success and strong clubs aren't mutually exclusive though, development squads improves the standard of players and ultimately as long as the clubs retain these players they are the primary beneficiaries. I think the club standard in Kildare is pretty good, Celbridge, Athy, Sarsfields, Larries, Carbury and Moorefield would all fancy their chances but no we haven't made an impact at club level at senior level in Leinster. Our Intermediate sides have dominated though contesting 6 out of the last 8 winning 4.  Our club standard is improving but perhaps only Kerry/Mayo's would be close to Dublin's.

The burden of history though is a bitch especially when you look at the Kildare forum and you seen this team of young lads been called chokers, what kind of message those that send out.  ::)

Mayo's is nothing to write home about, and that's coming from someone who has a soft spot for Ballagh and their two titles in the last five years.

Kerry and Dublin are the two gold standards at club level, and even then it's hardly helped Dublin much over the last thirty years. Every county needs something different to be successful, I don't think there is any one template that can be applied.

nrico2006

Is the Tyrone minor game on the same day and place as the senior game?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

God14

No minors play on 1st Sept, & Seniors the week before.

orangeman

Quote from: God14 on August 06, 2013, 01:09:10 PM

Costly handling by if you want to support both teams.

Syferus

Quote from: orangeman on August 06, 2013, 01:29:22 PM
Quote from: God14 on August 06, 2013, 01:09:10 PM

Costly handling by if you want to support both teams.

Mayo won both their provincials.They deserve the double bill, Tyrone can have no complaints.

Maybe HQ could offer a deal on both semis (don't they offer a package already?), but that's all that could be done in this situation.

ross4life

We were after winning minor All Ireland quarter final against all the odds, meant or not this was a sly dig.

Quote from: INDIANA on August 05, 2013, 05:37:44 PM

let us know when you win an ould senior game

In regards to the rest of your post. Roscommon club football is dominated by Brigids because of their own underage success however the last number of years the underage titles here have been won by the likes of Padraig Pearses,Strokestown,Roscommon Gaels. Brigids should win another Roscommon title this year but if they don't we have plenty of teams here that could win Connacht title. Boyle are looking good at intermediate level and would be there or thereabout for Connacht aswell.

As for county level like i said already minor football is feeder for U-21 level at the moment we have number of 20,21 year olds on our senior panel finding their feet & if you aren't producing some decent talent at underage level what chance have you got at senior level? senior football is the flagship but for years we ignored the underage set up Mayo,Galway strolled past even Leitrim hammering us in games.

A Connacht title or two,getting out of div 3 having senior team that can be competitive against the top sides is what will be seen as success for us.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on August 06, 2013, 11:51:27 AM

Mayo's is nothing to write home about, and that's coming from someone who has a soft spot for Ballagh and their two titles in the last five years.

Kerry and Dublin are the two gold standards at club level, and even then it's hardly helped Dublin much over the last thirty years. Every county needs something different to be successful, I don't think there is any one template that can be applied.

Can't agree Mayo has a serious club structure.

Knockmore, Ballina, Crossmolina and Charlestown have all made the last 4 in the not too distant past. Outside Brigids you'd have to go back to the late 80's to find another Roscommon side

Syferus

Quote from: INDIANA on August 06, 2013, 02:31:09 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 06, 2013, 11:51:27 AM

Can't agree Mayo has a serious club structure.

Knockmore, Ballina, Crossmolina and Charlestown have all made the last 4 in the not too distant past. Charlestown got themselves relegated two years ago and only made it back to senior this year. Outside Brigids you'd have to go back to the late 80's to find another Roscommon side

The recent past maybe but right now? No chance. The likes of Stephenites and Deel have fell on hard times and it's more a case of them sinking than anyone else rising very high. Mayo champions are still usually a good old team but there isn't any fear there anymore. Galway's probably of an equal standard right now, if not better.

INDIANA

Quote from: ross4life on August 06, 2013, 01:43:59 PM

We were after winning minor All Ireland quarter final against all the odds, meant or not this was a sly dig.

In regards to the rest of your post. Roscommon club football is dominated by Brigids because of their own underage success however the last number of years the underage titles here have been won by the likes of Padraig Pearses,Strokestown,Roscommon Gaels. Brigids should win another Roscommon title this year but if they don't we have plenty of teams here that could win Connacht title. Boyle are looking good at intermediate level and would be there or thereabout for Connacht aswell.

As for county level like i said already minor football is feeder for U-21 level at the moment we have number of 20,21 year olds on our senior panel finding their feet & if you aren't producing some decent talent at underage level what chance have you got at senior level? senior football is the flagship but for years we ignored the underage set up Mayo,Galway strolled past even Leitrim hammering us in games.

A Connacht title or two,getting out of div 3 having senior team that can be competitive against the top sides is what will be seen as success for us.

If the underage teams are of sufficient quality you should be able to turn the senior team around quite quickly. By turning it around there should be promotions in the league at senior level and getting to the last 12 say of the all -ireland series (draw permitting)

There should be some indications next year for Roscommon. If there isn't I would start to get a bit worried if I was a Rossies fan.

The problem is that people assume that because they win an u21 all-ireland that it consists of remarkably talented footballers. Not always, sometimes it does.

Last year's dublin u21 side was an exceptional bunch of players.

The previous side in 2010 was average enough even though they won the all-ireland. Wasn't a stellar quality championship but we got some good players like O Carroll off it. But Rory didn't need an u21 campaign to become a dublin senior.

Cavan neglected their senior side in the league this year for the u21 campaign. And will pay for it next year IMO. With the huge progress they made in the championship this year they have to go back to playing in Div 3 next year which will stunt their development IMO.

Its a balancing act overall. You want to do well at underage but you can't neglect the seniors by languishing in Div 3 because when your good underage players come through they'll be playing at too low a standard to mix it with the big guys.

You can't do well every year at underage. Next year Roscommon should prioritise the senior team at the expense of the 21's to get promoted and maybe go for the 21's the following year.

Captain Obvious

All Ulster All Ireland final with Tyrone to gain revenge? i think Down 2005 are the last minor team to lose provincial title and win All Ireland.

Syferus

Quote from: INDIANA on August 06, 2013, 02:41:34 PM
Quote from: ross4life on August 06, 2013, 01:43:59 PM

If the underage teams are of sufficient quality you should be able to turn the senior team around quite quickly. By turning it around there should be promotions in the league at senior level and getting to the last 12 say of the all -ireland series (draw permitting)

There should be some indications next year for Roscommon. If there isn't I would start to get a bit worried if I was a Rossies fan.

The problem is that people assume that because they win an u21 all-ireland that it consists of remarkably talented footballers. Not always, sometimes it does.

The previous side in 2010 was average enough even though they won the all-ireland. Wasn't a stellar quality championship but we got some good players like O Carroll off it. But Rory didn't need an u21 campaign to become a dublin senior.

Cavan neglected their senior side in the league this year for the u21 campaign. And will pay for it next year IMO. With the huge progress they made in the championship this year they have to go back to playing in Div 3 next year which will stunt their development IMO.

Its a balancing act overall. You want to do well at underage but you can't neglect the seniors by languishing in Div 3 because when your good underage players come through they'll be playing at too low a standard to mix it with the big guys.

You can't do well every year at underage. Next year Roscommon should prioritise the senior team at the expense of the 21's to get promoted and maybe go for the 21's the following year.

We have a very good crop of U21s next year so I don't see that happening, nor should it. Were Brigids not to make the AISF (which I genuinely hope they do) it'd have more impact on our success in the league than the U21s training with the U21 panel. You can win Connacht in two games so it's hardly much of a pressure point in all honesty.

ross4life

Quote from: INDIANA on August 06, 2013, 02:41:34 PM

Ourselves and Cavan are down in div 3 for reason we could use excuses likely Cavan held back their U-21s while we didn't have the pick of Brigids players etc but the fact is we have been fooling around with management if Fergal had stayed on i think we would be in Div 2 already & in Cavan case they have good management in place now and should be pushing for promotion next year.

I remember that U-21 Dublin 2010 team you beat us in AI semi final it wasn't one of our best underage teams however we still got plenty of good individual talent out of that side including Darren O'Malley, Neil Collins, Niall Daly, Cathal Shine all who started and played very well in 2 point loss v Tyrone a few weeks ago. Rome wasn't built in day and considering how young our panel is its a bit harsh to expect instant success though i agree it will be a bit worrying if we aren't showing signs of progress next year.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open