Mayo V Tyrone National Football League Round 2 Sun 10th February

Started by never kickt a ball, February 03, 2013, 01:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: tyroneman on February 05, 2013, 06:50:55 AM
Even when Tyrone were among the favourites to win the league we rarely got anything out of a trip to Mayo.

Would be happy just to avoid a hammering.

You'll enjoy your hammering more in Mick Byrne's.
MWWSI 2017

EC Unique

Tyrone look very fit and can go at full pace for 70 minutes, this is what won the game against Down and I expect the same result against Mayo.

Fuzzman

I was gonna start a new thread but then decided against it as I didn't want to start a whole slating match.
Basically I watched the Down match again yesterday and I couldn't help but notice how much teams target to stop big Sean from running on after he releases the ball.
On Saturday night he was targeted a lot by Callum King but even on the 68th minute, wee Conor Laverty, who is a great wee player, grabbed Sean around the chest/neck area trying to get a reaction from him. Sean didn't react at all but tried to pull away as he knew he was looking to get him into trouble. It must be very tempting to swing out at a much smaller man and get yerself in trouble.
However, Sean was wise to it and went over to protest to the excellent ref, Mr Cassidy.
What does the ref do? Give Sean a lecture, book Sean who laughs at his response and then goes over and books Laverty too.
As if that wasn't annoying enough for me to watch, neither Joe Kernan or the other commentator mentions it.

So what is the outcome? Some other players decide to take justice into their own hands and hassle & push Laverty. Then Penrose started pushing and squaring up to him with shoulders totally off the ball. As he runs past Laverty he shoulders him and Laverty lashes out and swings a fist at him and knocks Penrose down. It's hard to see how clean the contact was as its so far away but there was a clear haymaker swing.

My overall point is, how refs let things go or don't step in and give players protection and so then when the player reacts to this special attention, then the victim of this attention ends up getting the punishment. We've all saw this numerous times but do we really want to see our better players like Sean Cavanagh be punished in this way for wanting to play football.

Sean seems to deal with it a lot better than he used to and I'd say Colm his brother has still some way to go with receiving such spoiling tactics.

Rant over. I think I was more annoyed the commentators never mentioned it once the whole game.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Fuzzman on February 05, 2013, 03:56:03 PM
I was gonna start a new thread but then decided against it as I didn't want to start a whole slating match.
Basically I watched the Down match again yesterday and I couldn't help but notice how much teams target to stop big Sean from running on after he releases the ball.
On Saturday night he was targeted a lot by Callum King but even on the 68th minute, wee Conor Laverty, who is a great wee player, grabbed Sean around the chest/neck area trying to get a reaction from him. Sean didn't react at all but tried to pull away as he knew he was looking to get him into trouble. It must be very tempting to swing out at a much smaller man and get yerself in trouble.
However, Sean was wise to it and went over to protest to the excellent ref, Mr Cassidy.
What does the ref do? Give Sean a lecture, book Sean who laughs at his response and then goes over and books Laverty too.
As if that wasn't annoying enough for me to watch, neither Joe Kernan or the other commentator mentions it.

So what is the outcome? Some other players decide to take justice into their own hands and hassle & push Laverty. Then Penrose started pushing and squaring up to him with shoulders totally off the ball. As he runs past Laverty he shoulders him and Laverty lashes out and swings a fist at him and knocks Penrose down. It's hard to see how clean the contact was as its so far away but there was a clear haymaker swing.

My overall point is, how refs let things go or don't step in and give players protection and so then when the player reacts to this special attention, then the victim of this attention ends up getting the punishment. We've all saw this numerous times but do we really want to see our better players like Sean Cavanagh be punished in this way for wanting to play football.

Sean seems to deal with it a lot better than he used to and I'd say Colm his brother has still some way to go with receiving such spoiling tactics.

Rant over. I think I was more annoyed the commentators never mentioned it once the whole game.

You could have stuck that on the Tyrone v Down thread.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

God14

Fuzzman, its genuinely hard to know what Barry Cassidy's at half the time... which match is he down to referee wreck this weekend?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: God14 on February 05, 2013, 04:55:10 PM
Fuzzman, its genuinely hard to know what Barry Cassidy's at half the time... which match is he down to referee wreck this weekend?

It's Maurice Deegan. I agree with that assessment of Cassidy.

Onion Bag

Quote from: Fuzzman on February 05, 2013, 03:56:03 PM

To be fair Fuzz, there was probably little or no contact, Tyrone men have form of falling over or as others may call it diving. Lets hope it's not too Windy in Mayo at the weekend or there will be a lot more of them falling over :D
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Mayo Mick

Quote from: EC Unique on February 05, 2013, 02:50:00 PM
Tyrone look very fit and can go at full pace for 70 minutes, this is what won the game against Down and I expect the same result against Mayo.[/quote

Going full pace for 70 mins will help them to put respecability on the scoreboard in last 10 or so. But they will be trying to cut down a big lead at that stage. One winner of this and it's not the visitors.
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

tyroneman

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: tyroneman on February 05, 2013, 09:39:33 PM
Just curious...but when did Mayo folk get so cocky?

Don't worry we won't be so cocky against the other big teams, Donegal, Dublin and Cork  ;D
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Tommo2

Fuzz man, your recollection of the event is different from mine. As the keeper stepped up to take a long range free, laverty was standing too close to the ball. Cavanagh tried to pull laverty back the required distance and laverty stood his ground. A bit of wrestling ensued and the ref proceeded to book both. Vacancy tried to be the ref. Mind you, laverty was too close, but it should have been dealt with by the ref not cavanagh.

Aaron Boone

Farrandeelin

Gabriel_Hurl

I think he meant yer man Mick with this beauty

QuoteGoing full pace for 70 mins will help them to put respecability on the scoreboard in last 10 or so. But they will be trying to cut down a big lead at that stage. One winner of this and it's not the visitors.

Fear ón Srath Bán

In fairness, Mayo Mick has a smidgen of form, where his predictions have an unerringly uncanny knack, i.e., from around the same time last year...

Quote from: Mayo Mick on April 16, 2012, 01:58:21 PM
if we win league as I expect we will then hard to see who will stop us.  We have the players and winning the league will give us the confidence.  certainly no team in Connacht will stop us.

:)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...