Dún na nGall v Cill Dara

Started by Donnellys Hollow, July 24, 2011, 07:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donegal lad

Heard tonight that donegal county board only took 5000 tickets for the game that is a serious drop from the number for the ulster final

AZOffaly

I'm looking forward to going to this game. Myself and the auld fella, (two coaches of varying experience :D) and the brother (a current player) will be all looking for ways to counter Donegal's defence. It'll be interesting to see what Kildare do.

Captain Scarlet

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

JHume

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 29, 2011, 09:47:22 AM
I'm looking forward to going to this game. Myself and the auld fella, (two coaches of varying experience :D) and the brother (a current player) will be all looking for ways to counter Donegal's defence. It'll be interesting to see what Kildare do.

That's why the pundits who decry Donegal's style are missing the point. If you're interested in Gaelic football, how Donegal play the system and how Kildare try to counteract it will be fascinating.

My own tuppence worth,

Donegal will strangle the life out of the Kildare forwards forcing them to shoot from 40+ yards. Kildare are seen as a team that can score from long range, but they're also a team that can hit a lot of wides. Their forwards will be under pressure when in possession and when shooting like never before the season (Dublin included).

This defensive system that we play is only half the story.

When we don't have possession, Donegal will bring 11 men back into our own half. But when we have possession, we'll have a 8-10 man attack with the midfielders and defenders coming forward to support. (Donegal players from 5 to 9 have scored 1-6 in our four games to date, and have set up a pile more.)

Individually, the Donegal forwards are more skilful than their Kildare counterparts and have a better nose for goal. I'm happier have Murphy, McFadden, McBrearty and Hegarty than O'Connor, Kavanagh, Callaghan and O'Flaherty.

Our defenders, supplemented by our half forwards and midfield, is solid. Everyone knows about Lacey and Cassidy, but Neil McGee at full back has probably been our best defender this season and Anthony Thompson is as hard as nails. McGee will blot O'Connor out, I think, with either Lacey or Thompson taking Kavanagh. If Kavanagh can be kept quiet (and his head will be wrecked with the attacking play of both those defenders) then Donegal will be on the way to victory.

Our midfield isn't the strongest, but then neither is the injury hit Kildare one. Watch out for Durcan's kickouts - he's the new Cluxton.

This is Kildare's fourth game in four weeks. Donegal were off last weekend, we have no serious injuries and come into the game fresher. Like Kildare, we are a second half team and finish strongly. That's when the game will be won.

It's going to be fascinating.

Donegal are 2/1 with William Hill. I'll be having some of that.

Dinny Breen

QuoteIndividually, the Donegal forwards are more skilful than their Kildare counterparts

Near a natural forward in Kildare thanks god our converted backs are again close to been top scorers in championship for 3 years in a row.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

There seems to be a lot of concern with how Kildare will cope with the Donegal style. I don't think they'll be that bothered with it personally. In recent times, Kildare have only been beaten by fast, open, attacking football in high scoring games - Louth, Down & Dublin. Unlike Kildare teams of the past, this team is well set up, if not suited, to a dogfight.

The team selection will be interesting. It's taken as a given that Chalky will be dropped after a few well below par displays. It would be hard on Ollie Lyons if he was overlooked but if McGeeney goes horses for courses then I'd expect to see Brian Flanagan starting instead. I thought Flanno had one of his finest games ever in the Kildare jersey when he came on in Navan and he brings a physical edge to the game that Ollie doesn't. Derry made hay through the centre of the Kildare defence in the first half last week and Flanno might be seen as the man to shore up the middle. Johnny will probably be named at midfield with Rob Kelly in the corner again. I'd expect them to switch throughout the game. Kelly played off Tomás Connor and Jimmers in the opening half the last day and that's exactly the type of role that Johnny is best suited to. It's hard to see any other changes unless there are further injuries.

I'm hopeful enough heading into this match. This is Kildare's fourth year in succession at this stage and I think that experience will stand to them. I actually don't think they are playing as well as they were last year, or even in '09 for that matter, but mentally they seem stronger. They could have easily folded in the last ten minutes up in Navan but they toughed it out and even though the match was tight enough for most of the way last week, there was always a certain inevitability about the result. Donegal are improving and any team that holds Tyrone to nine points deserves respect but I think Kildare might just be a little bit further down the road in terms of development.

There are signs that some of Kildare's key men are beginning to hit form. Jimmers was excellent last week and he will undoubtedly be fired up after Brolly's comments about him last Sunday (even though there was probably a degree of truth in what he was trying to say). Kelly finally put to bed the ridiculous notion that he's only effective as an impact sub while both Paudie O'Neill and Flaherty óg were very effective on the forty. Having Flynner back is hugely important if Kildare are to progress further and he should strip fitter again this weekend. This is the type of match that should suit him down to the ground. If the backs can maintain their stinginess then we have a right shout. Michael Murphy is obviously the danger man but Kildare have handled him quite well in the past. Mick Foley kept him quiet in the league earlier this year and Damien Hendy did a good job on him in the previous league encounter. Obviously there's a world of difference between Letterkenny/Newbridge in the winter and Croke Park in late July but Foley is playing the football of his life at present and I'm confident he'll more than hold his own in that duel. McLoughlin will probably take McBrearty with McGrillen on McFadden. It's a big ask but if Kildare can keep another clean sheet (only 4 goals conceeded this year between league and championship) then I'd be hopeful we'll be looking forward to another semi-final come tomorrow night.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

tbrick18

Quote from: JHume on July 29, 2011, 01:21:28 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 29, 2011, 09:47:22 AM

That's why the pundits who decry Donegal's style are missing the point. If you're interested in Gaelic football, how Donegal play the system and how Kildare try to counteract it will be fascinating.

My own tuppence worth,

Donegal will strangle the life out of the Kildare forwards forcing them to shoot from 40+ yards. Kildare are seen as a team that can score from long range, but they're also a team that can hit a lot of wides. Their forwards will be under pressure when in possession and when shooting like never before the season (Dublin included).

This defensive system that we play is only half the story.

When we don't have possession, Donegal will bring 11 men back into our own half. But when we have possession, we'll have a 8-10 man attack with the midfielders and defenders coming forward to support. (Donegal players from 5 to 9 have scored 1-6 in our four games to date, and have set up a pile more.)

Individually, the Donegal forwards are more skilful than their Kildare counterparts and have a better nose for goal. I'm happier have Murphy, McFadden, McBrearty and Hegarty than O'Connor, Kavanagh, Callaghan and O'Flaherty.

Our defenders, supplemented by our half forwards and midfield, is solid. Everyone knows about Lacey and Cassidy, but Neil McGee at full back has probably been our best defender this season and Anthony Thompson is as hard as nails. McGee will blot O'Connor out, I think, with either Lacey or Thompson taking Kavanagh. If Kavanagh can be kept quiet (and his head will be wrecked with the attacking play of both those defenders) then Donegal will be on the way to victory.

Our midfield isn't the strongest, but then neither is the injury hit Kildare one. Watch out for Durcan's kickouts - he's the new Cluxton.

This is Kildare's fourth game in four weeks. Donegal were off last weekend, we have no serious injuries and come into the game fresher. Like Kildare, we are a second half team and finish strongly. That's when the game will be won.

It's going to be fascinating.

Donegal are 2/1 with William Hill. I'll be having some of that.

Not too far off with that assessment. I think Kildare will get suffocated out of it.
I'd go as far as saying I think Donegal could win this comfortably.

Dinny Breen

QuoteThere seems to be a lot of concern with how Kildare will cope with the Donegal style. I don't think they'll be that bothered with it personally.

My only concern is that Kildare did struggle for longer periods against Dublin afer O'Gara got sent off and they dropped 12 players in behind the ball but we still managed to reduce a 6 point gap and Dublin on paper are a better side than Donegal.

But in saying that we have 13 players who can score so Donegal will have to work very very hard to close Kildare down as it's the not case of isolating one or two scoring fowards.

Paudie O'Neill and Flaherty óg were very effective on the forty

And leper as well as Lynchbhoy keeps reminding me but Flaherty óg was superb last week, he's like a new Declan Kerrigan accept more talented.

History is also against Donegal as teams that break through their province generally go out in the next round, mentally I can't see them been right for a battle as they will still be coming down off the high of winning Ulster.

As along as Kildare go toe to toe with Donegal for the first 50 I can Kildare pulling away in the the last 20 minutes.
#newbridgeornowhere

donegal lad

I don't think donegal will still be on a high at all from the ulster win Jim had the lads at the beach the morning after the final for recovery session and they were all bck at full training the tuesday after the final and from talking to both the players and Jim after the final in clones they all have there eyes on a bigger prize

Bogball XV

Looking forward to this, having seen both teams comfortably see off Derry over the past 2 weekends, I honestly don't have a clue who will win.
Both impressed me for totally different reasons and Kildare were a breath of fresh air to watch as opposed to what I witnessed the weekend before.

I think Kildare have more about them, but by fcuk that Donegal side could smother any team with their incredible work rate (Kildare's impressed last weekend too).

I think I'll have to side with kildare as I think they have more scoring potential, particularly if Murphy plays out the field like he's been forced to over the past few games.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: donegal lad on July 29, 2011, 03:03:59 PM
I don't think donegal will still be on a high at all from the ulster win Jim had the lads at the beach the morning after the final for recovery session and they were all bck at full training the tuesday after the final and from talking to both the players and Jim after the final in clones they all have there eyes on a bigger prize

Unless you have experience of winning finals it's very hard to regain focus, they are saying and doing all the right things but in a team dynamic it's very hard for all players to retain the right mental attitude, I don't think enough Donegal players will be mentally prepared for what Kildare bring to the table.
#newbridgeornowhere

sheamy

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 29, 2011, 02:14:15 PM
There seems to be a lot of concern with how Kildare will cope with the Donegal style. I don't think they'll be that bothered with it personally. In recent times, Kildare have only been beaten by fast, open, attacking football in high scoring games - Louth, Down & Dublin. Unlike Kildare teams of the past, this team is well set up, if not suited, to a dogfight.

I agree with this. Systems ain't gonna win big games in Croke Park. Kildare won't be too fazed by men behind the ball and won't have their gameplan dictated by it. McGeeney and those Armagh boys invented this shit. Dublin are a year ahead of Donegal in playing this system and Kildare coped ok.

It's much easier to get round in Croke Park. Kildare also won't make the mistake of automatically granting Donegal license to sit back and counter. If you give Murphy and McFadden the freedom of your own half to attack like Derry did, you're not gonna win.

Donegal will need to post 18 points to win this and I can't see them doing it unless they get a few goals. Kildare have a better balance between defence and attack and are more evolved than Donegal. It's one thing bottling up toothless attacks in Ulster like Antrim, Cavan and Derry minus the Bradleys. It's another to do it to a team like Kildare who create more chances any nearly any other team and will run all day.

Tyrone should have been out of sight at half time v Donegal and faded badly in the second half missing half a dozen scorable frees. They're aiming to peak in August make no mistake and are a different outfit currently.

If Donegal can keep it very tight and low scoring they have a great chance. However, I don't think this will happen. Rarely does at this stage of the season on the big pitch.

Jinxy

My Kildare friend reckons they'll win this by at least 6 points.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Jinxy on July 29, 2011, 03:29:20 PM
My Kildare friend reckons they'll win this by at least 6 points.

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ck

No harm to yous but there is some crap written on this thread. As i predicted after the Ulster final, watch every ejit now jump on the bandwagon about "systems" and "11 men behind the ball". Anyone who knows anything will know there is much more to Donegal than getting men back into defence.
I also predict that Kildare will be well fit for Donegal and will match them for work rate, disciplined tackling and hunger.

The team who attacks most in this game will win!