Dublin v Tyrone quarter final 6.8.11 SFC 2011

Started by orangeman, July 24, 2011, 06:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 03, 2011, 07:43:48 PM
Dublin are more than capable of getting to the All-Ireland final from this position. People forget that they played Cork off the park last August and but for two Ross McConnell brain farts they would have won the All-Ireland IMO.

I wouldn't read too much into the Leinster Final. I'd put it down to complacency and they won't be complacent from here on in. Bernard Brogan won't be as poor again while Alan, Flynn, Cullen and Connolly are in decent form. I don't see much evidence of improvement in Tyrone this year and I can't believe the confidence of some of the Tyrone posters on here. It would be foolish to write this group of players off but Dublin showed last year that they have the beating of them. If Dublin play to their potential I think they'll be three or four points too good for Tyrone.

If they manage this I don't think Donegal will pose too many problems for them. A below-par Kildare had the opportunity to kill them off but they didn't. Dublin however have greater scoring power up front and their backs are at least the equal of the Kildare defence. Whether they've enough to beat Kerry (sorry Mayo  ;)), I suspect not. I'd like to see them win it because it would be a good result for Leinster football - a rising tide lifting all boats and all that.

Thats it! I'm not betting on Tyrone now! This man knows his stuff - if you don't believe me check the horse racing thread!  :o

ONeill

Tyrone should beat Dublin.

What is going to defeat Tyrone now is a team with at least three good scoring forwards. There is no doubt that that extra defensive cover Tyrone were famed for isn't there any more. Dooher can't do it to the same extent. McGinley's not on. Hub can't. It's not in Colm's game. Sean can't afford to be thinking about it. McGuigan can't (to same same extent). However, they've enough about them to smother a side with two stand out forwards (Clarke and McDonnell/Shine and Kilbride etc) and the fresh legs of Coney, Donnelly, Harte will keep the scoreboard ticking over nicely, especially with Sean on form.

Mickey will never admit it but he did make wholesale changes after Donegal. The team that started that game didn't have the legs to finish it. Coney, Tommy, Donnelly, Harte and Colm Cavanagh have been a breath of fresh air - it has been great to watch their intercounty careers develop in front of our eyes (even though Tommy and Colm are relative thoroughbreds and Donnelly closer to 30 than 20). Having the likes of Mulligan, McGinley, Harte, Dooher and O'Neill behind them in the pecking order must keep them on edge in a positive way.

Can Dublin beat Tyrone? - Well they did last year. Tyrone may have shot 17 wides (it'll be 30 before the game on Sat) but Dublin made them shoot from awkward angles/whistles from the Hill! I think the recent additions to Tyrone's forward line have added an aura of unpredictability to it and that is what might trouble the Jacks.

Defence is still a worry. Man-to-man Tyrone are in serious trouble against the best sides and I think their number is up if they get as far as Kerry this year. But Dublin are Dublin and Tyrone should have enough to squeeze by and I'd be very confident of giving Donegal a right going over.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

INDIANA

Quote from: ONeill on August 03, 2011, 09:41:26 PM
Tyrone should beat Dublin.

What is going to defeat Tyrone now is a team with at least three good scoring forwards. There is no doubt that that extra defensive cover Tyrone were famed for isn't there any more. Dooher can't do it to the same extent. McGinley's not on. Hub can't. It's not in Colm's game. Sean can't afford to be thinking about it. McGuigan can't (to same same extent). However, they've enough about them to smother a side with two stand out forwards (Clarke and McDonnell/Shine and Kilbride etc) and the fresh legs of Coney, Donnelly, Harte will keep the scoreboard ticking over nicely, especially with Sean on form.

Mickey will never admit it but he did make wholesale changes after Donegal. The team that started that game didn't have the legs to finish it. Coney, Tommy, Donnelly, Harte and Colm Cavanagh have been a breath of fresh air - it has been great to watch their intercounty careers develop in front of our eyes (even though Tommy and Colm are relative thoroughbreds and Donnelly closer to 30 than 20). Having the likes of Mulligan, McGinley, Harte, Dooher and O'Neill behind them in the pecking order must keep them on edge in a positive way.

Can Dublin beat Tyrone? - Well they did last year. Tyrone may have shot 17 wides (it'll be 30 before the game on Sat) but Dublin made them shoot from awkward angles/whistles from the Hill! I think the recent additions to Tyrone's forward line have added an aura of unpredictability to it and that is what might trouble the Jacks.

Defence is still a worry. Man-to-man Tyrone are in serious trouble against the best sides and I think their number is up if they get as far as Kerry this year. But Dublin are Dublin and Tyrone should have enough to squeeze by and I'd be very confident of giving Donegal a right going over.

Have they added un-predicatability though?

Coney has yet to do a whole lot.

Donnelly looks good but has yet to play against a good team.

Harte is excellent- no question.

Still up in the air if you ask me. Mickey Harte still had to send for the fire brigade at half time last Saturday when it was going pear shaped.

He has to play Justin Mc Mahon next saturday.

Dublin have players struggling for form. Concerns over a settled midfield. Also the mental concerns of whether they can beat top class teams at the business end of the championship.

Tyrone forward line wouldnt put the fear of God into me I have to say. Still reliant on Cavanagh to score 2-3 which wouldnt be a good sign in my view because he sure has to hell wont get that room on Saturday.

Think its pretty much 50/50 myself. And I doubt Donegal would fear either side.

screenexile

Can't see dublin winning this one, Tyrone are timing their run to perfection and they are getting better with every game while Dublin have stumbled over the line in their last 2 games and they have had a break without football.

I honestly believe that Dublin don't have the natural footballers to win an All Ireland yet. . . same as Donegal and Kildare, too many gym monkeys.

Having said that if Tyrone have an off day like last year the Dubs have a slight chance but you can bet your house that Jim McGuinness is hoping for a Dublin victory. Donegal will not beat Tyrone again!!

INDIANA

Quote from: screenexile on August 03, 2011, 10:57:09 PM
Can't see dublin winning this one, Tyrone are timing their run to perfection and they are getting better with every game while Dublin have stumbled over the line in their last 2 games and they have had a break without football.

I honestly believe that Dublin don't have the natural footballers to win an All Ireland yet. . . same as Donegal and Kildare, too many gym monkeys.

Having said that if Tyrone have an off day like last year the Dubs have a slight chance but you can bet your house that Jim McGuinness is hoping for a Dublin victory. Donegal will not beat Tyrone again!!

Tyrone have about 6 guys starting on saturday who arent what I would deem to be natural footballers. You're not seriously suggesting Swift, Ricey, O Neill, Hughes, C Cavanagh, Donnelly are natural footballers are you? I would raise that by a few more as well.

As I said there is a lot of hyperbole about this particular Tyrone team based on sand in my view. If they were so good where have they been recently? A lot of people are basing their opinions on 05 and 08 in my view. I dont see anything for Dublin to be afraid of on Saturday. But due to their propensity to make a balls of things who knows what dublin team will show up.

Of the 12 starting forwards on Saturday there is only one at a push who would make the Kerry forward line. Food for thought for both teams.

Thats the reality. There are four good teams left and one very good side. Who are a mile better then the rest.

macdanger2

Looking forward to a good game on Saturday.

Ordinarily, I would be hoping that the Dubs win this one but considering the circumstances this year, I'd like to see Tyrone do it.

Not sure they can though, they've had a tough run of games. The Dubs may have been average against Wexford but they're coming into this one with v little hype and I expect them to shade it by a point or two.

tyrone86

Quote from: INDIANA on August 04, 2011, 12:02:52 AM

Tyrone have about 6 guys starting on saturday who arent what I would deem to be natural footballers. You're not seriously suggesting Swift, Ricey, O Neill, Hughes, C Cavanagh, Donnelly are natural footballers are you? I would raise that by a few more as well.

As I said there is a lot of hyperbole about this particular Tyrone team based on sand in my view. If they were so good where have they been recently? A lot of people are basing their opinions on 05 and 08 in my view. I dont see anything for Dublin to be afraid of on Saturday. But due to their propensity to make a balls of things who knows what dublin team will show up.

Of the 12 starting forwards on Saturday there is only one at a push who would make the Kerry forward line. Food for thought for both teams.

Thats the reality. There are four good teams left and one very good side. Who are a mile better then the rest.

In this scenario, just what is your definition of a 'natural footballer'?

ONeill

Indiana, I take it you've seen a lot of Donnelly and O'Neill? Or 1 highlight?

INDIANA

Quote from: tyrone86 on August 04, 2011, 12:13:35 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 04, 2011, 12:02:52 AM

In this scenario, just what is your definition of a 'natural footballer'?

Thats just it exactly. Nobody on the board can ever give a definition  for a natural footballer. Its a holier then thou term which no-one can define. I'm waiting for our learned friend to define it. But to describe the likes of Dublin and Kildare as gym monkeys is bullshit just because one or two them have some bicep definition.

ONeill

You wrote 'what I would deem as natural footballers'. That means you have a definition. What is it?

Fear ón Srath Bán

INDIANA, you might be talking a lot of sense there, but given your track record where a Tyrone barrelling through the Qualifiers (2008 Quarters) have met a static Dublin:

Quote from: INDIANA on August 04, 2008, 04:10:54 PM
this is the same mugsy who hasn't started a game all season? We're quaking in our boots.Mugsy isn't in the 2005 form and he isn't likely to be in 2 weeks.he was terrific in 2005 but injuries ahve ruined his season and its difficult to see him taking us to the cleaners. O neilll was always the one anyway, an absolute genius who tyrone have never replaced. I always felt O Neill was one of the best forwards of the last 20 years.
Brogan is a top 6 forward in the country, tyrone have no-one currently in that bracket. I'd love to see Tyrone try and rough up Shane Ryan, he'd take great pleasure putting one of them into row x. the man is a force of nature.
Jayo ironically at 33 is better now than he was at 19. strange but thats the way some people develop.

Quote from: INDIANA on August 04, 2008, 09:02:06 PM
the difference in 2005 was o neill, you were better than us. it hadn't much to do with puffing out chests and the rest of the bullshit that tyrone fans crow on about (that and the fact the've only won 2 all-irelands, thats right 2). you had  stevie O neill, in my view the best forward of the last decade, canavan a living legend , mc guigan the best centre forward in the game at the time and a flying mulligan. We did remarkably well with a vastly inferior team to bring you to a replay because you were vastly superior to us.
in 2008 you aren't superior to us, you have maybe one forward at the moment who would make the dublin forward line. and i f we get 5 points up early in the second half this time round, you can pack your bags because you haven't the scoring power to reel us back in. Tyrone can beat dublin but only if its a tight ,dour low scoring game. because if its anything else, we will win.

So forgive me a degree of scepticism on you pre-match pronouncements!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

INDIANA

I could always drag up your pearls of wisdom last year. I'd quit while you're ahead mate.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

I think and hope the bookies are way off with this one. If the rumours of Barry Cahill being picked at 11 are true it only makes me more confident in a Tyrone victory. Tyrone -2 @3/1 could be the bet of the c/ship!
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Blowitupref

Google image gym monkeys GAA & u'll get

& this

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

screenexile

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 04, 2011, 01:57:30 AM
Google image gym monkeys GAA & u'll get

& this