Armagh v Wicklow

Started by bennydorano, June 26, 2011, 08:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oraisteach

Smokin Joe

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: heffo on July 09, 2011, 09:49:35 PM
Why do Armagh & Down hate each other so?

It's not as if you've had grudge matches in recent times or both been strong at the same time to generate real rivalry??

Because the average Down fan has the humility of Graham Geraghty combined with the grace of a championship Hill 16 part-timer.

Armagh were horrendous in that first half tonight. Wicklow, for all their application and belief, are in Division 4 for a reason yet Armagh were very fortunate to still be in touch at half-time. Despite dominating the final 55 minutes, Armagh still conceded goals at crucial moments. The fact that 7 or 8 substitutions were made and the worst performing starting player survived 90 minutes says it all about the quality patrolling the line.

In an attempt to dwell on positives, Jamie Clarke was superb, Mal Mackin had another excellent match and all the substitutes who aren't related to members of the coaching staff had decent games. Johnny Hanratty in particular was excellent and should start in Aughrim.

Does the pitch at Aughrim have floodlights or is it likely to be a Saturday afternoon throw in? I presume Sunday is a non-starter given that the Minors are playing in the Ulster final.

As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

mackers

Armagh's 1st half performance was as poor as I've seen in 35 years following them. A fecking disgrace!!! We were clueless. Noticed Kevin Dyas getting his ankle worked on during the warm up and it showed during the game...........Paul Duffy was so unfir it is untrue. As other have said the ball going into Jamie was incredibly poor.
The second half saw us take over completely but the ref let Wicklow back in with a goal that would have been disallowed in an under 10 match. I'd say it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say the Wicklow man took at least eight steps. We got back into it for the ref to ride us again by not giving a stone wall free at the end and then cutting normal time off early when we were going forward.
We played fairly well in ET only for another dodgy goal with the Wicklow forward ripping the ball out of Brendan Donaghy's hands illegally.
I know we shouldn't need a decent referee to beat Wicklow but that's six points that shouldn't have counted.
Best for Armagh were Malachy Mackin and Charlie Vernon....if Jamie Clarke had've finished his run off with a goal into the low goals it would've have been the best goal seen in Armagh in a long time.
Worringly it looks like we're going to have injury concerns over Ciaran McKeever (who was excellent), AK and Dyas.
I'm not going to comment on Murtagh's introduction and withdrawal 15-20 mins later as it is beneath contempt. Well done to Gavin McParland on an excellent equaliser.

Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

NP 76

why do Armagh & Down hate each other so?

because the average Down fan has the humility of Graham Geraghty combined with the grace of a championship Hill 16 part-timer.
Thats nice is that us all or just the ones that have an opinion on something that you dont agree with

armaghniac

Armagh were awful in the first half, most didn't want to know. Wicklow should have had twice the lead if their shooting was better. In the second half Armagh showed a bit of spirit, but even the Wicklow fans beside me couldn't believe that the goal stood. Cullyhanna men best for Armagh.!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ross4life

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on July 09, 2011, 10:09:29 PM

It's not as if you've had grudge matches in recent times or both been strong at the same time to generate real rivalry??

Because the average Down fan has the humility of Graham Geraghty combined with the grace of a championship Hill 16 part-timer.

Armagh were horrendous in that first half tonight. Wicklow, for all their application and belief, are in Division 4 for a reason yet Armagh were very fortunate to still be in touch at half-time. Despite dominating the final 55 minutes, Armagh still conceded goals at crucial moments. The fact that 7 or 8 substitutions were made and the worst performing starting player survived 90 minutes says it all about the quality patrolling the line.

In an attempt to dwell on positives, Jamie Clarke was superb, Mal Mackin had another excellent match and all the substitutes who aren't related to members of the coaching staff had decent games. Johnny Hanratty in particular was excellent and should start in Aughrim.

Does the pitch at Aughrim have floodlights or is it likely to be a Saturday afternoon throw in? I presume Sunday is a non-starter given that the Minors are playing in the Ulster final.
Why would you need floodlights in the middle of summer? unless you think the Aughrim game will go to ET aswell.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: ross4life on July 09, 2011, 10:56:13 PM

Why would you need floodlights in the middle of summer? unless you think the Aughrim game will go to ET aswell.

Presume they'd need to take account of the possibility, although I suppose the light was grand at the end of the match tonight so perhaps that's a silly point to raise. My recollection that Wicklow qualifiers tend to be in the afternoon rather than evening though I may be wrong about that.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

David McKeown

Quote from: mackers on July 09, 2011, 10:18:53 PM
Armagh's 1st half performance was as poor as I've seen in 35 years following them. A fecking disgrace!!! We were clueless. Noticed Kevin Dyas getting his ankle worked on during the warm up and it showed during the game...........Paul Duffy was so unfir it is untrue. As other have said the ball going into Jamie was incredibly poor.
The second half saw us take over completely but the ref let Wicklow back in with a goal that would have been disallowed in an under 10 match. I'd say it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say the Wicklow man took at least eight steps. We got back into it for the ref to ride us again by not giving a stone wall free at the end and then cutting normal time off early when we were going forward.
We played fairly well in ET only for another dodgy goal with the Wicklow forward ripping the ball out of Brendan Donaghy's hands illegally.
I know we shouldn't need a decent referee to beat Wicklow but that's six points that shouldn't have counted.
Best for Armagh were Malachy Mackin and Charlie Vernon....if Jamie Clarke had've finished his run off with a goal into the low goals it would've have been the best goal seen in Armagh in a long time.
Worringly it looks like we're going to have injury concerns over Ciaran McKeever (who was excellent), AK and Dyas.
I'm not going to comment on Murtagh's introduction and withdrawal 15-20 mins later as it is beneath contempt. Well done to Gavin McParland on an excellent equaliser.

Have to say I saw the game in an almost identical way although I though AK was our Man of the Match and was the only player in the first half who looked like he knew what a football was.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

ross4life

Quote from: customsandrevenue on July 09, 2011, 11:04:05 PM
Why would you need floodlights in the middle of summer?

Given that Saint Brigid's Day is on the 1st day of Spring on 1st February, there are 22 days of Summer(Samhradh - picking up this stuff rightly) left. Nowhere near the middle. Reckon you live in Italy or somewhere.
I have a house in sunny Sorrento how did you guess.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Orangemac

Lucky in a lot of ways to get the result although will count for nothing if beat next week.

Listening to game on radio Ulster 1st half was brutal and if it had been another team, game could have been over at halftime.

Subs and move of Mackin to FF made big difference and hopefuly forward line that finshed game will start next day. Commentary on radio put 2nd goal down to mistake by Donaghy rather than foul. Is Donaghys position under threat for replay?

With a decent draw for next round, a win next week could leave 4 games in 4 weeks which if nothing else should give the likes of McParland, Hanratty, McKenna and Grugan some championship game time.

Abble

Quote from: David McKeown on July 09, 2011, 11:01:28 PM
Have to say I saw the game in an almost identical way although I though AK was our Man of the Match and was the only player in the first half who looked like he knew what a football was.

please someone tell me david is having a laugh!
ak thinks he's a star, plays like he's a star and performed tonight like most stars....ie does fek all for most of the game but come the business end looms up for a vital score to take all credit. so yeah fair enough happy we're still in it via his vital pt or whatever but no way man of the match. that easily goes to ciaran mckeever

fitzroyalty

An entertaining game but overall one we should have put to bed. The two gammy goals aside, we were all over them in the second half and should never have went to extra time.

First half was awful, slack marking in fullback line, midfield struggled and the ball to the fullforwards was awful.

Second half was a different game altogether, really dominated but for a few poor decisions in front of the posts we would have snuck a win tonight.

Donaghy, AK and Clarke were outstanding with Mal Mackin MOTM hands down. McParland also showed some balls (bennydorano!) to bring the game to et.

Dyas, Murtagh and B Mallon were IMO horrific.

We should win the replay if we up the workrate and lose the complacent attitude!

rolloutking

When the referee overruled his umpires to disallow Hanratty's non-point, an overweight smoker at the Dalton end shouted "How is that a square ball you fcuk ing gypsy"

Some intelligent people in the crowd.

M.Mackin was MOTM

Etienne Lantier

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on July 09, 2011, 11:00:23 PM

Presume they'd need to take account of the possibility, although I suppose the light was grand at the end of the match tonight so perhaps that's a silly point to raise. My recollection that Wicklow qualifiers tend to be in the afternoon rather than evening though I may be wrong about that.

The Wicklow crowd were heartily annoyed by the extra time and now late they would be getting home. You couldn't blame the Wicklow county board if they decided to repay the compliment after the needless intransigence of the Armagh county board. Only issue is whether they have a ground with floodlighting. A shout out to the Wicklow support who were superb, some of the best supporters ever to come to Armagh if I might be so bold to suggest. Was talking to one lad going into the stand, he was wrote off, but a good, happy wrote off. I could contrast him with some of the wankers I passed at the underpass past Niall's Crescent who suggested I not bother going to watch the effing Armagh match, but would be better employed getting effed on cans. I passed no remarks on them, but still got called a w**ker for my pains. But that would be churlish.