Armagh v Wicklow

Started by bennydorano, June 26, 2011, 08:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Etienne Lantier

Quote from: rolloutking on July 09, 2011, 11:54:41 PM
When the referee overruled his umpires to disallow Hanratty's non-point, an overweight smoker at the Dalton end shouted "How is that a square ball you fcuk ing gypsy"

Some intelligent people in the crowd.

M.Mackin was MOTM

Agreed, Mackin was far and away man of the match.

However, the point was actually ruled out for square ball, which I have never before seen in my life.

Aaron Boone

No floodlights in Aughrim, very old style ground but will accomodate the crowd ok.

David McKeown

Was the point not ruled out on the basis it was about three foot wide?

As for AK I thought he was mom for two reasons.  1. He was the only player who came close to performing in the first half and 2. He seemed to have a hand in most scoring attacks. Mal Mackin was very good last 55 mins but was non existent first half.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Applesisapples

Quote from: The Worker on July 09, 2011, 08:23:22 PM
i heard a large portion of the buckfast brigade left at half time!
Bollocks no one left.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Rossfan on July 09, 2011, 09:07:19 PM
Why all the booing? Presumably the Armaghs ?
The booing was for the ref, quite the worst display of one-sided refereeing I have ever seen, frees given in at the Armagh end and out at Wicklow end. Both goals should have been free outs. there were more decisions that were questionable too numerous to mention. Some one mentioned Leinster Ref favoring Leinster team, I'm not sure but either way he was worth 2-4 for Wicklow. That said Armagh performance in the first half was crap. The half forward line in particular turned over ball after ball. Also Johnny Murtagh should not be on that panel but even he did not deserve the humiliation served up to him - on 10 mins max and substituted. Smacks of a line that is floundering. Tony Kernan and Johnny Hanratty made some difference as did McParland. Part of me wanted Wicklow to win just to put O'Rourke out of his misery...deadman walking. As for  Michael O'Rourke playing well again and pulled ashore. What does Donal Murtagh see in the stand that we don't?

Etienne Lantier

Quote from: David McKeown on July 10, 2011, 12:31:42 AM

As for AK I thought he was mom for two reasons.  1. He was the only player who came close to performing in the first half and 2. He seemed to have a hand in most scoring attacks. Mal Mackin was very good last 55 mins but was non existent first half.

If you cast your mind back you'll recall the umpire came out, after being instructed by the referee, and crossed the flags. This is the signal to indicate a square ball. Again, never have I seen a point and one from over 20 metres out for that matter, ruled out for square ball in all my born days. The Wicklow ones were only making the wide gestures because they knew the ref was looking to strike out the point. Even they must have been pretty amazed it was for square ball.

Applesisapples

Quote from: David McKeown on July 09, 2011, 11:01:28 PM
Quote from: mackers on July 09, 2011, 10:18:53 PM
Armagh's 1st half performance was as poor as I've seen in 35 years following them. A fecking disgrace!!! We were clueless. Noticed Kevin Dyas getting his ankle worked on during the warm up and it showed during the game...........Paul Duffy was so unfir it is untrue. As other have said the ball going into Jamie was incredibly poor.
The second half saw us take over completely but the ref let Wicklow back in with a goal that would have been disallowed in an under 10 match. I'd say it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say the Wicklow man took at least eight steps. We got back into it for the ref to ride us again by not giving a stone wall free at the end and then cutting normal time off early when we were going forward.
We played fairly well in ET only for another dodgy goal with the Wicklow forward ripping the ball out of Brendan Donaghy's hands illegally.
I know we shouldn't need a decent referee to beat Wicklow but that's six points that shouldn't have counted.
Best for Armagh were Malachy Mackin and Charlie Vernon....if Jamie Clarke had've finished his run off with a goal into the low goals it would've have been the best goal seen in Armagh in a long time.
Worringly it looks like we're going to have injury concerns over Ciaran McKeever (who was excellent), AK and Dyas.
I'm not going to comment on Murtagh's introduction and withdrawal 15-20 mins later as it is beneath contempt. Well done to Gavin McParland on an excellent equaliser.

Have to say I saw the game in an almost identical way although I though AK was our Man of the Match and was the only player in the first half who looked like he knew what a football was.
McKeever and Donaghy were outstanding as well.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Abble on July 09, 2011, 11:27:17 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on July 09, 2011, 11:01:28 PM
Have to say I saw the game in an almost identical way although I though AK was our Man of the Match and was the only player in the first half who looked like he knew what a football was.

please someone tell me david is having a laugh!
ak thinks he's a star, plays like he's a star and performed tonight like most stars....ie does fek all for most of the game but come the business end looms up for a vital score to take all credit. so yeah fair enough happy we're still in it via his vital pt or whatever but no way man of the match. that easily goes to ciaran mckeever
Would agree with McKeever as MOTM but AK was excellent as well.

David McKeown

Quote from: Etienne Lantier on July 10, 2011, 12:55:48 AM

If you cast your mind back you'll recall the umpire came out, after being instructed by the referee, and crossed the flags. This is the signal to indicate a square ball. Again, never have I seen a point and one from over 20 metres out for that matter, ruled out for square ball in all my born days. The Wicklow ones were only making the wide gestures because they knew the ref was looking to strike out the point. Even they must have been pretty amazed it was for square ball.

I believe that's the signal to indicate a cancelled score for any reason although I may be wrong
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Applesisapples

Quote from: Etienne Lantier on July 10, 2011, 12:07:00 AM
Quote from: rolloutking on July 09, 2011, 11:54:41 PM
When the referee overruled his umpires to disallow Hanratty's non-point, an overweight smoker at the Dalton end shouted "How is that a square ball you fcuk ing gypsy"

Some intelligent people in the crowd.

M.Mackin was MOTM

Agreed, Mackin was far and away man of the match.

However, the point was actually ruled out for square ball, which I have never before seen in my life.
Incorrect, the point was given wide, you can not have a square ball for a point, even a ref as shite as Pat Fox would know that.

Applesisapples

Quote from: David McKeown on July 10, 2011, 01:03:02 AM
Quote from: Etienne Lantier on July 10, 2011, 12:55:48 AM

I believe that's the signal to indicate a cancelled score for any reason although I may be wrong
Correct

under the bar

a load of  wicklow reg cars nailed front to back apparently. some things never change :-\

Etienne Lantier

On the ref, I have to say I thought he was alright and I would be the first to be on his case if I thought he was being more than ordinarily incompetent. I guess there was the Micko factor there, which didn't help Armagh as if the referees sympathies were going to be anywhere it was going to be with the blue and gold. But still and all, he was useless, but no more useless than referees generally are.

gerry

Wicklow's comeback today is the most dramatic thing to happen to the county since miley had an affair on biddy!
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Etienne Lantier

I stand corrected, although, amazingly, having just read the official guide, it is perfectly possible for a point to be given as square ball in the following circumstances. I didn't think the ball was wide myself, so I'll be interested to see this on the Sunday Game.

Foul Play
RULE 4 - TECHNICAL FOULS
4.9 For an attacking player to enter opponents' small rectangle before the ball enters it during play.
Exception
When a point is scored from outside the small rectangle and the ball is sufficiently high to be out of reach of all players, the score shall be allowed even though an attacking player may have been within the small rectangle before the ball - provided that the player in question does not interfere with the defence.

Betcha didn't know that!