IPad - worth buying one or not?

Started by tyroneman, May 31, 2011, 07:23:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: AustinPowers on April 04, 2023, 01:38:09 PM
So...... my laptop  seems to  be on the way out. It's  nearly  10 years old.   Didn't use  it much except for zoom calls , YouTube,  iplayer, emails etc

I  was thinking of an iPad instead of another laptop

I am familiar with  iPhones, so I'm assuming  they are basically the same thing, only bigger?

Are  they worth it?
How much would they   cost?
Is there a cheaper  alternative that would do  the Same things I'm after?

I have a Huawei laptop, best thing I ever got. You can tell its designed to look and feel like a Macbook if you were after the Apple aesthetic (keys, screen etc) but it's windows and costs less than half the price of a Macbook.

I never really understood iPads to be honest. Too big to be ultra portable, too fiddly to type and function as a laptop. Yes you can get the keyboard which is neat looking but by that stage you're into 2 grand all in for a less powerful computer than your average Windows.

Main Street

The ipad is quite the portable item and a very practical item in conduit with an iphone and/or Macos desktop.  I purchased a portable bluetooth keyboard ,Sandstrom skb16. now replaced by Skb 19. sells for less than GBP30 at Currys, It pairs up  instantly with ipad and ios in general and works a treat.  I use the keyboard on occasion  The iPad 10 basic version GBP500 and is more than a capable mobile device.  Mixing ios with a windows device doesn't pay off imo.  some things are tranfserable but not iCloud.  It's just not family..

NotedObserver

Looking for tablet for children. Any suggestions that aren't the Amazon fire series?

snoopdog

Quote from: NotedObserver on August 11, 2023, 12:28:30 PM
Looking for tablet for children. Any suggestions that aren't the Amazon fire series?
Samsung galaxy. 2 of mine have them and thry love them. Not sure which one they have though. Think they were around 200 euro

J70

My 9 year old daughter inherited a hand me down iPad and loves it. She can get and use all the same apps and FaceTime her friends, which before that she'd rely on my wife's and my own iPhones for, so it works for us too.

Whatever you end up choosing, get a good screen protector and case!

weareros

My kids have each had Apple iPads since they were two or so. Looking back a decade later I can say they've fueled their creativity (some great art apps) and entertained them on car trips, flights. Great investment. Make sure to get some of those bouncy kid covers to protect them and you'll get good long life out of them. Don't skimp on space because once they start playing games like Minecraft (I can't make head nor tail out of what kids see in that) and start saving "worlds", that eats up a lot of space. Don't have them share. Get them their own iPad. Will cost a bit but worth it.

gallsman

Would disagree entirely with that. Don't buy a two year old a tablet. Certainly not an iPad.

Anything kids use an iPad for can be done much more economically on a perfectly serviceable Android tablet.

trailer

Get an iPad. All Android or Amazon tablets are rubbish. You pay for what you get.

gallsman

Quote from: trailer on August 11, 2023, 01:42:30 PM
Get an iPad. All Android or Amazon tablets are rubbish. You pay for what you get.

For a kid? Nonsense.

AustinPowers

I know  you can't exactly  go all Amish  with kids  these days regarding technology , but  I see worrying trends.

Friends of ours have  3 kids (under 7) , all had an iPad  from around a year old .  The kids don't  seem to  be able to travel in the  car , eat their  dinner  or entertain themselves without the  pads.  Countless times  I've heard both parents bemoaning about the pads ,  giving out to the kids for constantly being on them , or  not finding something else  to do .  At the same time , a fortune is spent at Xmas and birthdays on other toys , which are  never looked at, nor does the  time on the pads seem to be curtailed

Know of 2  instances of teens with  clear addiction issues and behavioural  issues regarding phones . Basically , it seems  to me because the parents   never curtailed the  amount of time spent on them . The kids got used to  being on them as much as they  wanted , and  now it's near impossible to deal with . One having anxiety issues and  other won't go to school or do  anything  they're told .  Everything's a screaming match, violent outbursts , the lot. Everything is all about  the phone . Hygiene, hanging out, reading,  sport, friends  ,all  gone for a burton, as Del Boy would say.

Ethan Tremblay

Quote from: AustinPowers on August 11, 2023, 02:08:19 PM
I know  you can't exactly  go all Amish  with kids  these days regarding technology , but  I see worrying trends.

Friends of ours have  3 kids (under 7) , all had an iPad  from around a year old .  The kids don't  seem to  be able to travel in the  car , eat their  dinner  or entertain themselves without the  pads.  Countless times  I've heard both parents bemoaning about the pads ,  giving out to the kids for constantly being on them , or  not finding something else  to do .  At the same time , a fortune is spent at Xmas and birthdays on other toys , which are  never looked at, nor does the  time on the pads seem to be curtailed

Know of 2  instances of teens with  clear addiction issues and behavioural  issues regarding phones . Basically , it seems  to me because the parents   never curtailed the  amount of time spent on them . The kids got used to  being on them as much as they  wanted , and  now it's near impossible to deal with . One having anxiety issues and  other won't go to school or do  anything  they're told .  Everything's a screaming match, violent outbursts , the lot. Everything is all about  the phone . Hygiene, hanging out, reading,  sport, friends  ,all  gone for a burton, as Del Boy would say.
I have relatives in the same boat.  All kids under 5 have their own tablets and are never off them.  The two younger ones have issues talking and interacting.  The 5 year old has no interest in outdoor activities anymore, and has serious bags under his eyes. 

My brother on the other hand is the opposite with his kids roughly the same age.  They have a tablet between 4 of them, but they are not dependent on it and they have a lot of outside the house activities to get on with.

In an odd social experiment type way I am curious to see how they all pan out over the back of it. 
Each to their own, but my kids won't be sitting slaving away over tablets when they are young, no need for it.   

I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

LC

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on August 11, 2023, 02:34:28 PM

I have relatives in the same boat.  All kids under 5 have their own tablets and are never off them.  The two younger ones have issues talking and interacting.  The 5 year old has no interest in outdoor activities anymore, and has serious bags under his eyes. 

My brother on the other hand is the opposite with his kids roughly the same age.  They have a tablet between 4 of them, but they are not dependent on it and they have a lot of outside the house activities to get on with.

In an odd social experiment type way I am curious to see how they all pan out over the back of it. 
Each to their own, but my kids won't be sitting slaving away over tablets when they are young, no need for it.   

We would be like this, I remember a few years ago me, the missus and the 4 kids were staying overnight at a hotel when they were aged 18 months - 8.  In terms of not having an ipad at our table at breakfast time we stuck out like sore thumbs.  Lots of parents there with 2 - 3 kids with each having their own ipad.  Re devices etc there needs to be balance.

trailer

You have to parent. Ours have defined rules and screen time. No substitute for outside. 

NotedObserver

Quote from: trailer on August 11, 2023, 02:42:06 PM

You have to parent. Ours have defined rules and screen time. No substitute for outside.

It is for a long flight and wouldnt want them hooked on it but they prefer outside to TV at the moment and it will stay that way

trailer

Quote from: NotedObserver on August 11, 2023, 02:50:38 PM
Quote from: trailer on August 11, 2023, 02:42:06 PM

It is for a long flight and wouldnt want them hooked on it but they prefer outside to TV at the moment and it will stay that way

I still think an iPad is the way to go.
If you download movies or tv shows put it on airplane mode and check all is downloaded a few days before. Also download to early or it will expire. Got caught out once before. Was not a fun experience.