IPad - worth buying one or not?

Started by tyroneman, May 31, 2011, 07:23:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westmayo

I have an iPhone,  MacBook Pro and iMac already, would really like an iPad, but can't find the justification to purchase one. Would be handy for holiday's or when on the go, but the 13'' MacBook pro isn't that much to lug around at the minute. But still very tempted to purchase one at least once a month.

Minder

Quote from: Bogball XV on June 02, 2011, 11:31:28 AM
Quote from: Minder on June 02, 2011, 10:51:42 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 01, 2011, 10:53:42 PM
As a recent convert to Apple, with both a MacBook and an iPad 2, I'd wholeheartedly recommend the latter - imperceptible in the luggage and blissfully functional on the move (as is f&ir¥y obv€&@s I'd imag&@e).
;)

I have a Mac Book Pro and wondering if you would need both. A 13" MBP is pretty light and also has
the "online immediately" benefit.
what is the 'immediately online' benefit?

Someone said on the first page the fact that you are online immediately is a big plus.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Bogball XV

Quote from: Minder on June 02, 2011, 12:25:21 PM
As a recent convert to Apple, with both a MacBook and an iPad 2, I'd wholeheartedly recommend the latter - imperceptible in the luggage and blissfully functional on the move (as is f&ir¥y obv€&@s I'd imag&@e).
;)

I have a Mac Book Pro and wondering if you would need both. A 13" MBP is pretty light and also has

Someone said on the first page the fact that you are online immediately is a big plus.
Aye, but what is the difference between this and most machines nowadays?  How immediate is immediate?  Instantaneously on pushing the on button?  Waiting 30 odds secs for my wee 2yo asus to power up isn't that big a deal imo.

attheraces

Quote from: Bogball XV on June 02, 2011, 02:25:30 PM
;)

Aye, but what is the difference between this and most machines nowadays?  How immediate is immediate?  Instantaneously on pushing the on button?  Waiting 30 odds secs for my wee 2yo asus to power up isn't that big a deal imo.

Immediate is immediate. Like a phone, you just unlock it and there it is. Yeh but if you have an iPad or iPhone, or even any other device like it, that 2 minute waiting on your Asus will seem a whole lot longer.
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Forgot to mention that the optional magnetic cover for IPad is well worth it - protects, switches off automatically, and very versatile as a prop (underneath, to tilt it forward).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

deiseach

Prices start out at €479, according to Apple's website. It amounts to a less powerful but more convenient laptop. I like the power. So at that price, no thanks

tyssam5

Never got the I-pad either. But I started travelling a lot for work lately and was very jealous of every decker on the plane with an I-pad. Got one, now use a lot for short- term browsing on couch, kitchen etc., I never thought lugging the laptop about was big deal, when you stop having to do it you realize how nice it is not to do it though. Great job when on hols too.

Minder

Quote from: tyssam5 on June 02, 2011, 06:01:08 PM
Never got the I-pad either. But I started travelling a lot for work lately and was very jealous of every decker on the plane with an I-pad. Got one, now use a lot for short- term browsing on couch, kitchen etc., I never thought lugging the laptop about was big deal, when you stop having to do it you realize how nice it is not to do it though. Great job when on hols too.

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Bogball XV

Quote from: attheraces on June 02, 2011, 02:53:42 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on June 02, 2011, 02:25:30 PM
;)

Immediate is immediate. Like a phone, you just unlock it and there it is. Yeh but if you have an iPad or iPhone, or even any other device like it, that 2 minute waiting on your Asus will seem a whole lot longer.
It would be if I didn't have the phone to fill the void ;) ;)

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

laceer

I'd seriously doubt you could connect to the internet via that method

Bogball XV

Quote from: laceer on June 03, 2011, 11:04:27 AM
I'd seriously doubt you could connect to the internet via that method
Is that not the add on that the iphone4 needed in order that it wouldn't drop your calls?

Kerry Mike

How bad do you want an iPad ??

A 17-year-old boy in China sold his kidney to buy a computer and a phone, local media reported.

Shanghai Daily  said the teen, named only as Zheng, from the eastern Anhui Province got 22,000 yuan (€2,350) for selling one of his vital organs.

But it was a decision he soon came to regret as his health is deteriorating, Shenzhen Satellite TV said.

"I wanted to buy an iPad 2 but could not afford it," said Zheng. "A broker contacted me on the internet and said he could help me sell one kidney for 20,000 yuan."

On April 28th, Zheng went to Chenzhou City in neighboring Hunan Province to have the kidney removed in a surgery arranged by the broker.

His parents knew nothing about it, Zheng confirmed. He was paid 22,000 yuan after his right kidney was taken out at the Chenzhou No 198 Hospital.

When he returned home with an iPad 2 and an iPhone, his mother contacted the police. But they could not locate the broker and his phone was always off, the TV report said.

Hospital officials claimed they had no knowledge about Zheng's surgery because the department that was involved had been contracted out to a Fujian Province businessman.

The case is still under investigation, the report said.

Previously, it had been reported that many university students in Guangdong had decided to donate sperm in order to raise money to buy iPads and iPhones.

Local hospitals offer 300 yuan for each sperm donation and qualified donors attend hospital 10 times for each complete procedure.

Apple's iPad 2 sells for 3,688 yuan to 5,288 yuan and the iPhone for 3,999 yuan to 5,999 yuan in China.

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

deiseach

Quote from: Hospital Road on June 03, 2011, 10:53:45 AM
If you cannot afford an ipad, just gent a big plastic c**k and stick it on your forehead. It will do the same thing really.

Someone has been reading Viz's Top Tips