IPad - worth buying one or not?

Started by tyroneman, May 31, 2011, 07:23:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

Was sceptical about the iPhone when it came out. Gave in, bought one and now love it.

Can't see what the big deal about iPad is though? Beyond looking pretty good what are the big selling points?

David McKeown

I've had one since launch and am using it now it's great but may be pointless if you have a laptop or don't plan on taking it out of the house. I would use mine for work quite a lot as a laptop would be impractical and if I didn't I'd say it was a waste of money
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

thewobbler

The convenience of being online immediately makes them brilliant. To be honest, I don't use it for anything else.

Bogball XV

Quote from: tyroneman on May 31, 2011, 07:23:08 AM
Was sceptical about the iPhone when it came out. Gave in, bought one and now love it.

Can't see what the big deal about iPad is though? Beyond looking pretty good what are the big selling points?
good for kids, especially on long journey's when most dvd players' batteries give out (of course given the price you could maybe buy 5 portable dvd players and they'd have the same battery life ;D).  Other than, they're a fancy web browser.
The problem with using them for playing the kids' movies though is that it's a complicated process to start and convert non-purchased itunes material for them.  Can be done of course, but with apple and their software restrictions it's a pain.

Denn Forever

Are the new androids ones e.g. from Acer that you see on TV ads any good?

http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Iconia/prod.asp
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

As a rule I buy nothing from Apple. Too greedy for my liking. Give it a while and others will come up with a better tablet

Main Street

Use your imagination folks. You can download all versions of VLC from the horses mouth.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Main Street

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 31, 2011, 06:54:49 PM

What made a phone which doesn't work very well. They sell mostly to people who want image over substance whether its their phones, mp3 players or macs. Their phone has now been bettered by HTC and Samsung. Their operating system and greedy way the filter apps will be destroyed by Android. Don't like their business model one bit.
I have not tried the iPhone or the iPad.
When I went to buy a mp3 player, the iPod was in a different class, 160gb V something very tiny from everyone else,
plus enough oomph to drive a pair of high impedance headphones, without the need for a headphone amp.
Complete viewer/user compatibility with the Smart Playlists from iTunes.

Computer components are mostly all similar. Apple have always been streets ahead with their laptops.
What we look for on a laptop is quality of  graphics, processor, screen, battery life and weight, as well as the usual user friendly features like  keyboard/touchpad/ports/sound.
Finally a similarly specced Samsung Series 9  has come on the market, some 3 years after the Mac Book air hit the scene.
The humble Macbook 13" still has not met a decent comparative competitor.
I like the MacOs,  well nothing to complain about anyway.
I don't care for the consumer market of purchasing music, mp3 formats, apple store, apps etc. Apple as a corporation/religion/fashion, doesn't interest me in the least.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on May 31, 2011, 06:24:47 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on May 31, 2011, 01:39:31 PMThe VLC app for the iPhone is great. You just go to the app through iTunes, browse to the files you want to add and you can play them without the hassle of converting etc. Didn't realise that app was pulled though. Ah well, im glad I got it when I did  ;D
VLC is great isn't it, i'm shocked that apple allowed something through that might impact on their total control over content and therefore profit.

thebigfella

Quote from: Bogball XV on May 31, 2011, 09:33:56 PM
Quote from: Archie Mitchell on May 31, 2011, 06:24:47 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on May 31, 2011, 01:39:31 PMThe VLC app for the iPhone is great. You just go to the app through iTunes, browse to the files you want to add and you can play them without the hassle of converting etc. Didn't realise that app was pulled though. Ah well, im glad I got it when I did  ;D
VLC is great isn't it, i'm shocked that apple allowed something through that might impact on their total control over content and therefore profit.

It's under a GNU open source license which conflicted with the App Store licensing. There was bit of a bitching match by the open source crowd and demanding the app store license be changed. Apple decided to pull it instead but if you look there are plenty of other media players in the store (as long as they don't use code under the GNU license). Nothing to do with their want to control everything this time.

thebigfella

Quote from: Main Street on May 31, 2011, 06:56:20 PM
Use your imagination folks. You can download all versions of VLC from the horses mouth.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

You have to jailbreak and download from cidia

Fear ón Srath Bán

As a recent convert to Apple, with both a MacBook and an iPad 2, I'd wholeheartedly recommend the latter - imperceptible in the luggage and blissfully functional on the move (as is f&ir¥y obv€&@s I'd imag&@e).
;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

stephenite

Just purchased my Ipad2, most impressive.

Minder

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 01, 2011, 10:53:42 PM
As a recent convert to Apple, with both a MacBook and an iPad 2, I'd wholeheartedly recommend the latter - imperceptible in the luggage and blissfully functional on the move (as is f&ir¥y obv€&@s I'd imag&@e).
;)

I have a Mac Book Pro and wondering if you would need both. A 13" MBP is pretty light and also has the "online immediately" benefit.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Bogball XV

Quote from: Minder on June 02, 2011, 10:51:42 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 01, 2011, 10:53:42 PM
;)

I have a Mac Book Pro and wondering if you would need both. A 13" MBP is pretty light and also has the "online immediately" benefit.
what is the 'immediately online' benefit?