USFC Qtr Final - Armagh V Down - Athletic Grounds 28th May 7:30pm

Started by Brick Tamlin, April 13, 2011, 10:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Well there you have it lads, Armagh are right back in it. With Oisin back onboard they're looking like favourites now. Although it can be slightly embarrasing for senior players selected as forwards to be re-trained or told what to do, it is Oisin we are talking about here.

drici

McCartan has pitch dimensions checked

Down manager James McCartan has no issue with the size of the pitch at the Athletic Grounds after having it measured ahead of Saturday's Ulster Senior Football Championship Quarter Final against Armagh.

McCartan was surprised to discover the Athletic Grounds pitch is slightly bigger than Páirc Esler in Newry, reasoning that the close proximity of the stands and terraces make the Armagh pitch look smaller than it actually is.

"I think it's just a matter of perspective," he said in the Irish News.

"It's because the pitch is so close to the supporters. Even if you are taking a sideline kick, the players don't get much of a run."

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Joe Umbrella (hey) on May 24, 2011, 03:30:13 PM
Well there you have it lads, Armagh are right back in it. With Oisin back onboard they're looking like favourites now. Although it can be slightly embarrasing for senior players selected as forwards to be re-trained or told what to do, it is Oisin we are talking about here.

???  He has been asked in to do some work with the forwards as a coach and to give some fresh ideas.  This is quite common with most teams and you use whatever resources that are available.  I think you'll find that I did say that I thought Down would win but that I am not as pesimisstic as I was before.  Maybe the Down bravado is not as strong as it was.  Maybe they are not as good as they would like to think they are??  Sure with Marty going back to Australia, why the fcuk would he really try?  Lets face it the sooner Down are out the sooner he is on the plane ;)

mackers

Quote from: Oraisteach on May 24, 2011, 03:25:51 PM
Good man BC1.  That's just the injection I need.  So what's all this about Oisin.  Has he gone to Tir na NOg and come back rejuvenated?
I'm sure he doesn't need to go to Tir na NOg to take a training session or two. He's not that old!!
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: drici on May 24, 2011, 03:49:06 PM
McCartan has pitch dimensions checked

Down manager James McCartan has no issue with the size of the pitch at the Athletic Grounds after having it measured ahead of Saturday's Ulster Senior Football Championship Quarter Final against Armagh.

McCartan was surprised to discover the Athletic Grounds pitch is slightly bigger than Páirc Esler in Newry, reasoning that the close proximity of the stands and terraces make the Armagh pitch look smaller than it actually is.

"I think it's just a matter of perspective," he said in the Irish News.

"It's because the pitch is so close to the supporters. Even if you are taking a sideline kick, the players don't get much of a run."

Wee James not start to panic?

Banana Man

really looking forward to it the closer we get to saturday but not in a cocky way - there will be a piece of paper at most between the two teams come the final whistle.

Armagh are nowhere near as bad as their fans would like us to believe and I for one would be very, very wary of the threat they pose.

Hope to fu*k Coulter is fit!

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 24, 2011, 03:55:36 PM

???  He has been asked in to do some work with the forwards as a coach and to give some fresh ideas.  This is quite common with most teams and you use whatever resources that are available.  I think you'll find that I did say that I thought Down would win but that I am not as pesimisstic as I was before.  Maybe the Down bravado is not as strong as it was.  Maybe they are not as good as they would like to think they are??  Sure with Marty going back to Australia, why the fcuk would he really try?  Lets face it the sooner Down are out the sooner he is on the plane ;)

You Armagh boys sure have a hard on for our Marty. I never even mentioned the fella yet you could'nt wait to talk about him. If he goes back to Oz then fair enough he'll be a loss. Whilst we are on the subject of former AFL recriuts maybe clarke could bring Dyas back with him he might even get a game for the reserves this time or carry Martys bags for him.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Joe Umbrella (hey) on May 24, 2011, 04:25:37 PM

You Armagh boys sure have a hard on for our Marty. I never even mentioned the fella yet you could'nt wait to talk about him. If he goes back to Oz then fair enough he'll be a loss. Whilst we are on the subject of former AFL recriuts maybe clarke could bring Dyas back with him he might even get a game for the reserves this time or carry Martys bags for him.

Too easy ;D

PAULD123

I think that if Down can get on top by 4-5 points then all these negative thoughts may start to have a bearing on the game. But if we don't pull away Armagh will feel they always have a chance because they know our defence isn't great.

Our biggest problem is that we have continually showed our lack of experience with naive decisions. Not varying kick out (esp. in the AIF), failing to hold possession in the closing minutes when leading, rash challenges, panicky shooting if a clear chance doesn't become available, passing up clear point opportunities trying to look for goals.

If we are matured then we will win.

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 24, 2011, 04:41:08 PM
Quote from: Joe Umbrella (hey) on May 24, 2011, 04:25:37 PM

Too easy ;D

You took the bait a long time ago BC ie: after my very first post. Apparently you make a habit of this  ;)

NP 76

As the time gets closer i am begining to get a bad feeling in the guts about this . Ambush springs to mind . Everyone even Armagh people are writing them off and i believe thats not a good sign for ourselves hope i am proved to be wrong . There wont be much in it at the end no matter about all the talk . Never liked going to the Athletic grounds for a game for some reason Banana man right hope Coulter fit

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: PAULD123 on May 24, 2011, 05:44:29 PM
I think that if Down can get on top by 4-5 points then all these negative thoughts may start to have a bearing on the game. But if we don't pull away Armagh will feel they always have a chance because they know our defence isn't great.

Our biggest problem is that we have continually showed our lack of experience with naive decisions. Not varying kick out (esp. in the AIF), failing to hold possession in the closing minutes when leading, rash challenges, panicky shooting if a clear chance doesn't become available, passing up clear point opportunities trying to look for goals.

If we are matured then we will win.

A fairly reasonable assessment of Down there from a Down fan. Yes you do indeed have weaknesses, but for the life of me I cant see us exploiting them. You dont vary your kickouts....either kick it down the middle where we have no decent clean fielder or a good dirty ball winner or do what every team does to us since Wexford in 2008 and kick it short as we will drop 3 men back into the middle.
Rash challenges ....any free inside 30-35 meters on the right hand side will be punished by AK, otherwise you'll be safe enough. I regard Stevie as a god but he's not a free taker and definitely not a 45 taker, when he has to force it to get the distance he cant do it.
Your defence is'nt great....You only need 2 defenders, one for Stevie and one for Jamie. no harm to them but none of our other forwards are "free scoring"
This is not we trying to be "cute" or anything, just an honest opinion on where I think we are.
I also believe that the loss of Swift will be a major blow. He was good for maybe a couple of points and i suspect we could be doing with them on saturday.

PAULD123

Quote from: NP 76 on May 24, 2011, 08:46:47 PM
As the time gets closer i am begining to get a bad feeling in the guts about this . Ambush springs to mind . Everyone even Armagh people are writing them off and i believe thats not a good sign for ourselves hope i am proved to be wrong . There wont be much in it at the end no matter about all the talk . Never liked going to the Athletic grounds for a game for some reason Banana man right hope Coulter fit

You know what your problem is NP? You've just got used to us being rubbish. We all have. But cheer up my friend the future is bright. So dig down and remember the early nineties, remember what it was to believe in ourselves and trust that we would perform to the level we were capable of.

It is time to start believing. To be a winner first you have to train to win, then you have to play to win but only when you belive you will win will you win. Tyrone or Kerry or Cork enter a game and their fans know they are talented enough to win and so expect them to play to that level and therfore win. Armagh were the same up to maybe two years ago.

It may be hard to stomach after years of misery and low expectation but we finally have a good team with good preparation and good performances. It is our time to stand up, aknowledge where we are, and state boldly that we desrevve to be favorites and we belive we will win.

An Dun Abu

Orangemac

Armagh going in as underdogs will do no harm but as has been expressed earlier there are not enough scorers in our HF line with BJP and Mal Mackin probably both starting. We would need 3/4 points from here to be in with a sniff and unfortunately can't see that happening.

Down on the other hand have Maginn/Poland/Hughes who are usually good for a few points each which could prove to be the difference ( unless Stevie and Jamie can nick a goal each).

Could POR pull a master stroke and include Oisin in the squad? Would give Armagh a bit of a lift even if only for 20 mins and surely would be less of a risk than bringing Graham Geraghty back in Meath?

NP 76

Hope so Paul is the road closed coming home because of this parade does anyone know have heard different stories dont know who to believe .