USFC Qtr Final - Armagh V Down - Athletic Grounds 28th May 7:30pm

Started by Brick Tamlin, April 13, 2011, 10:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackers

Quote from: Joe Umbrella (hey) on May 19, 2011, 01:51:58 PM
I like many others only miss attending county matches when they clash with weddings etc but thats life. When I miss matches it doesn't make me any less 'worth my salt' or any less of a true Down fan.
Obviously when I made the comment I was referring to the guys who are going to miss the match due to the CL final, and not to those who are missing this game (or any game) for a family occasion.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

snoopdog

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on May 19, 2011, 10:20:02 AM
Quote from: snoopdog on May 19, 2011, 10:04:46 AM
Quote from: Archie Mitchell on May 19, 2011, 09:58:34 AM
Quote from: snoopdog on May 19, 2011, 09:44:51 AM
The ulster council are notorious bell ends they wont change it.
Remember these are the same idots that have the Ulster Final on the 17th July giving the runners up in Ulster 5 days to prepare for the qualifiers.
They are fools and deserve to fall on their faces next weekend.

Give over will you. If you feel so strongly about it go watch your beloved Man Utd and forget about the Down match.

Interesting coming from a guy with a man city player as his pic profile. If city by some miracle were in the champions league final. You would be in the same predicament.
I was always going to Watch United if thegames clashed, but the ulster council are idiots.

Well if you have already decided your going to watch the match then stop complaining about it.

Anytime City have played on TV, and my club or county have been playing I have watched them, simple decision.

your right its a simple decision alright.

Oraisteach

Well, since no one's providing me any optimism about this upcoming match at the "Morg," I think I'll revert to the mnemonic that distinguishes the venomous coral snake from its harmless lookalike: :"Red on black, happy Jack."  In other words, if you see red rings touching black ones, you're safe.

As good an omen as any.  Armagh by two.  Fangs a lot.

ardtole

Its been a long time since I was at the Athletic Grounds, what is the crack with car parking in Armagh city. Is their secure parking near the ground?

The Worker

Is there a minor game next saturday? if so what times throw in

mountainboii

The Worker

Quote from: AFS on May 19, 2011, 10:45:34 PM
Quote from: The Worker on May 19, 2011, 10:33:30 PM
Is there a minor game next saturday? if so what times throw in

5.45 PM

good man..anyone following the minor scene this year? who would be favourites for this on league form? how many college players play for each team?

mountainboii

Well, Armagh won the league which is usually a precursor to success in the championship. But Down's College contingent could easily swing it their way. Might not be too inaccurate to suggest that the two best minor sides in the province will be going head to head here.

oakleafgael

Quote from: AFS on May 19, 2011, 11:09:56 PM
Well, Armagh won the league which is usually a precursor to success in the championship. But Down's College contingent could easily swing it their way. Might not be too inaccurate to suggest that the two best minor sides in the province will be going head to head here.

Having watched Derry Minors play Tyrone, Armagh and Down in the Ulster League I thought Armagh where the best of the three. That said Derry played poorly against them and the goals Armagh got where the difference between the two teams. Derry played Tyrone early in the group stage and beat them very handy but they should be better than that now. Down where very dissapointing when Derry played them although they only had the College lads back for a week before hand.

I dont think there is much between Armagh, Derry, or Down and whoever comes through that side of the draw will win Ulster. Tyrone should come through on the other side of the draw.

PAULD123

Regarding the minors I think Ulster is really strong Dungannon and Omagh were top teams this year and the College are the national champions, Armagh won the league and Derry looked good till the final. I think anyone from Armagh, Down, Derry or Tyrone could be Ulster champions and anyone could potentially win the All-Ireland.

As for Down senior team, people have said (James included) that defence will be a poser now that Rooney and Garvey are back. But Rooney has started every league game except the first (he was hardly ever away!). Garvey has played in every league game except the first, starting the last three in succession. I can't see there being any debate about those boys starting. The fullbacks are the only big query, anyone of four players could take a spot - Dan McCartan, Gerard McCartan, Rafferty, or McCardle. Personally I think it would be tough luck on both McCardle and Gerard McCartan if they lost their shirts.

Groucho

Quote from: ardtole on May 19, 2011, 10:04:29 PM
Its been a long time since I was at the Athletic Grounds, what is the crack with car parking in Armagh city. Is their secure parking near the ground?

Car parking available at the rugby club (2-3 min walk to Athletic Grounds), also public car park opposite city hotel, and back of St malacy's chapel....both few mins walk to ground.
I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

balladmaker

Only 5 days to go to this match between two of the game's biggest rivals, and this thread had slipped to the bottom of the second page ... times have changed!

Then again, most pundits probably feel it's only a matter of the Down men turning up  :o Or maybe there is greater interest in Man U.

PAULD123

Quote from: balladmaker on May 23, 2011, 08:33:57 AM
Only 5 days to go to this match between two of the game's biggest rivals, and this thread had slipped to the bottom of the second page ... times have changed!

Then again, most pundits probably feel it's only a matter of the Down men turning up  :o Or maybe there is greater interest in Man U.

Those pundits are wrong. I believe in the Down team and believe that we are better than Armagh. But that is based on us hitting top form. If we are below top form I believe we will be beaten.

However our league campaign was encouraging and we are certainly in better form than Armagh. If that remains so then I expect us to win but only if we play at our best level.

The loss of Clarke and Swift has robbed Armagh of a lot of fire power. The fact that Grugan didn't develop fast enough has not helped. The players that will now start for Armagh at half forward do not look in anyway terrifying. Something like - BJP, M O'Rourke, Vernon do not look like a massive problem to our half back line (which is famously not great). In addition I can not see O'Rourke or BJP being successful at stopping our half backs breaking forward.

Armagh certainly have been hampered by injury - Swift, Duffy (?) and Clarke, all big losses

bennydorano

Christ knows what Armagh will do, that is the sad thing.  I'm still unconvinced of Down, I reckon last year they could have been a flash in the pan and unless they can actually achieve something tangible this year I dont see my opinion changing.  They might be the next big thing thou.

At the minute I'd back Down -2