USFC Qtr Final - Armagh V Down - Athletic Grounds 28th May 7:30pm

Started by Brick Tamlin, April 13, 2011, 10:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

borderfox

Don't worry Paul I'm not getting carried away with an Ulster QF win. Armagh people know only too well not to get carried away with a first round victory.  Forgive me for getting a bit of scoffing in after an unforeseen victory over our nearest and dearest. I am sure you would feel the same if the shoe was on the other foot!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

rionach 4

Paul , I found you have been quite gracious in defeat and While I dont have the same rivalry with Down that some of my fellow countymen on here have (Tyrone are the enemy ) we in Armagh in the majority were hoping while Down were expecting.
If we meet again it's literally a whole new ball game. That game, if it occurs, will have a dynamic of its own.
I would not get carried away with the win at all other than to say it was the style of football that pleased me as much as the result.  Down will need to sit tight for the next few weeks . There is no need for any knee-jerk reaction. Players need to remain loyal and focused and not walk away. i have heard of one or two leaving the panel. Maybe thats inevitable .
The Tyrone defeat last year was just as galling and the backoor loomed large . Yet look where that ended.
. Derry are sitting in the wings and how we play against them will give me a truer reflection of where we are at.  The roles are now reversed . We will no doubt be installed as favourites . If we play a similar type game with a favourable result then I can see this Armagh team going places . If we revert to type ..ie last year and league .the victory over Down will be nothing more than a one of game to settle bragging rights for a few months . For Armagh the picture is much bigger than a victory over a fairly good Down team.
Sustainability is the key word. . Have we ended this awful term that is levelled at us "a team in transition". Those transitional days are over . This is the team .
Good luck to Down (genuinely) I have always admired ur style .  I hope we have a long summer but Derry will be a tough nut to crack.

PAULD123

Quote from: borderfox on June 03, 2011, 10:05:36 AM
Don't worry Paul I'm not getting carried away with an Ulster QF win. Armagh people know only too well not to get carried away with a first round victory.  Forgive me for getting a bit of scoffing in after an unforeseen victory over our nearest and dearest. I am sure you would feel the same if the shoe was on the other foot!

If the shoe was on the other foot?, No, Borderfox I don't think I would be a bit scoffing. I think I would be a holy nightmare. In fact, I would probably be bombarding the board with jovial and scathing attacks on everything from the quality of the opposition players to the taste of the apples!!!! but then that's the kind of childish thwart I am.

However as much as I may be ungracious in victory, thankfully I am gracious in defeat. We deserved to lose, no debate, Armagh played better and most importantly with far greater desire. As I have said, if Down get taught one lesson by Armagh I hope it is the fantastic desire to win that was shown.

Oh, and I accept the slagging from yourself and Duffleking, guess it was coming my way, I am just surprised it took DK so long to get it in. Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and accept what's coming to you!

Fuzzman

Lads a genuine question

When was the last time Armagh lost an Ulster semifinal?

harlechman

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 03, 2011, 02:51:35 PM
Lads a genuine question

When was the last time Armagh lost an Ulster semifinal?

Derry in 1998 as far as I can remember after beating Down in the first round. Derry went on to beat Donegal in the final.

borderfox

Quote from: PAULD123 on June 03, 2011, 12:58:36 PM
Quote from: borderfox on June 03, 2011, 10:05:36 AM

If the shoe was on the other foot?, No, Borderfox I don't think I would be a bit scoffing. I think I would be a holy nightmare. In fact, I would probably be bombarding the board with jovial and scathing attacks on everything from the quality of the opposition players to the taste of the apples!!!! but then that's the kind of childish thwart I am.

However as much as I may be ungracious in victory, thankfully I am gracious in defeat. We deserved to lose, no debate, Armagh played better and most importantly with far greater desire. As I have said, if Down get taught one lesson by Armagh I hope it is the fantastic desire to win that was shown.

Oh, and I accept the slagging from yourself and Duffleking, guess it was coming my way, I am just surprised it took DK so long to get it in. Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and accept what's coming to you!

Fair play Paul. Its the good natured banter that helps make the Armagh/Down rivalry great. Its our turn today next time round chances are itll be yours to dish out  ;)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

armaghniac

Mourne forward John Clarke has quit inter-county football after saying his "heart wasn't in it" following the Ulster SFC defeat to Armagh.

The 28-year An Riocht clubman added that he has left the county set-up "on good terms".

"I wouldn't be one for doing things half-hearted and if I wasn't going back fully committed with my heart in it, there was probably no point," he said.

However, Clarke has not ruled out a future return to the county colours.

"After the Armagh game it just got to the point where I just thought it wouldn't be fair to continue," he told the Irish News.

"I believed I would be doing myself an injustice and I'd be doing the team an injustice.

"I thought the time was right for the time being anyway - never say never in football - but as of now I've played my last game for Down.

"I've got a lot of time for (manager) James McCartan and I think the feeling is mutual, so I've left on good terms."

Clarke, the older brother of Down star Martin, also took a swipe at critics on internet discussion forums in the wake of the five-point loss to Armagh last month.

"You get a lot of criticism, you don't mind people criticising you to your face, but you do have your critics who sit behind computer screens and are on discussion boards, which is cowardly," he said.

"Players and managers alike take a lot of abuse. That's not the reason why I'm retiring, but there's criticism and there's criticism."
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Armaghgeddon

"but there's criticism and there's criticism."

Which is also called criticism  ;D