USFC Qtr Final - Armagh V Down - Athletic Grounds 28th May 7:30pm

Started by Brick Tamlin, April 13, 2011, 10:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haveaharp

Quote from: Sandy Hill on May 25, 2011, 11:55:51 AM
Quote from: ck on May 25, 2011, 11:33:54 AM
Is it true that tickets are not selling for this match? Surely not. This is easily the biggest 1st round tie in the country.

As of Mon night the number of tickets, stand and terrace, issued to Armagh clubs was 1595!

Down 1690

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Is it true that tickets are not selling for this match? Surely not. This is easily the biggest 1st round tie in the country.

As of Mon night the number of tickets, stand and terrace, issued to Armagh clubs was 1595!

Poorly supported county, it would appear that the last of the the 2002 bandwagon jumpers would prefer the champions league or the Kings of Leon.

Applesisapples

Down have sold all their allocation, Armagh have only sold 2500. I think most Armagh fans unfortunately have decided that Down are going to win at a canter and will opt to go to the pub or watch at home keeping an eye on both games. The assertion that it is Slane is ludicrous. As Benny Tierney says in the IN even the Orange Order new better than to clash with the Champions League.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Joe Umbrella (hey) on May 25, 2011, 12:19:20 PM

Poorly supported county, it would appear that the last of the the 2002 bandwagon jumpers would prefer the champions league or the Kings of Leon.
Thats rich coming from a Down man, look at the BWJ's last year. Armagh have always been well supported even when we were rubbish. The number of Clubs in Armagh loosing players because of the downturn in construction is obviously a factor.

mackers

Quote from: naka on May 25, 2011, 10:16:57 AM
Quote from: DuffleKing on May 25, 2011, 10:04:03 AM
Have we ever seen anything from McKenna to suggest he should be on the panel never mind the team?
I don't think we have realistic options, at this stage, beyond the toner-vernon pairing
COUD SEE HIM AT HALF FORWARD
hearty
mallon,donaghy finn
dyas, mc keever,kernan
toner, vernon
mc kenna,billyjo,mallon
clarke,stevie,o rourke
if paul duffy fir mallon may play in centre with duffy playing on wing
training quite intense last nite, playrs really up for it, south armagh boys in particular giving it loads

good to see mc grane  helping out on the pitch barking instructions to the midfielders
can see us doing alright
It's great to see Armagh legends like McGrane and McConville in helping out. That bit of news is encouraging. It'll do the current panel the world of good to have these guys around. Feeling a wee bit more postive after reading that. Good man naka. :)
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

naka

What's interesting is that I have been offered tickets so far by shamrocks guys, saval guys, could request tickets from Ballyholland
It's a myth down gave sold their allocation because they are struggling like Armagh to shift the tickets
It has been a very poor call by the ulster council but these guys are that stubborn they won't admit their mistake

ck

I can't believe people are blaming Slane and Champions league for poor ticket sales. Wise up!! This is Down V Armagh IN Armagh for Christ sake!! I am travelling from Sligo for this game and looking forward to it.
People should stop coming out with BS excuses and simply call a spade a spade. Armagh fans have been spoiled over the last decade. Things take a little dip and you walk away in your droves. Your county needs you more than ever now.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: naka on May 25, 2011, 12:48:27 PM

What's interesting is that I have been offered tickets so far by shamrocks guys, saval guys, could request tickets from Ballyholland
It's a myth down gave sold their allocation because they are struggling like Armagh to shift the tickets
It has been a very poor call by the ulster council but these guys are that stubborn they won't admit their mistake

I have spoken to a lot of Down folk and the prevailing attitude is that they'll watch this one at home. A lot has to do with the expense and the attitude that the £50 will go a long way to a good night out but there is also a sense that they don't see this as a big enough game to bother with. They will have bigger games to go to this year and that is from people who would be seen as 'true gaels'. 

armaghniac

QuoteIt's great to see Armagh legends like McGrane and McConville in helping out. That bit of news is encouraging.

Those men wouldn't countenance losing to Down and hopefully some of the spirit will rub off.

There were 11,000 at the league game in Newry, hard to imagine that more than that will not go to the Championship. But people reckon that tickets will be readily available and will wait to see the weather etc.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

whitegoodman

Quote from: ck on May 25, 2011, 12:55:48 PM
I can't believe people are blaming Slane and Champions league for poor ticket sales. Wise up!! This is Down V Armagh IN Armagh for Christ sake!! I am travelling from Sligo for this game and looking forward to it.
People should stop coming out with BS excuses and simply call a spade a spade. Armagh fans have been spoiled over the last decade. Things take a little dip and you walk away in your droves. Your county needs you more than ever now.

+1

If the ticket sales quoted on this board are correct then it is an absolute disgrace, on both sides.  IMO anyone who would prefer to go to the pub and watch this or sit and watch it on the tv are not great supporters of either team. Some Armagh supporters are very negative about their chances and are using this as an excuse not to go.  If that was the case for me and it could possibly be my teams only game in Ulster this year and first in our newly developed stadium, i wouldnt miss it for the world.

As for Down supporters, if Down were lucky enought to get to the All Ireland final again and some of the stay at home supporters came looking a ticket, I know where i would tell yas to stick ur ticket request!!  Down would have provided at least 25k supporters to the final last year, if  we can get at least half of that to go to Armagh there is something wrong!!

whitegoodman

Dont know I inserted my comments as a quote from CK but to clarify that 2nd rant was from me not CK!!!

PAULD123

Although the comment is correct, a dip in form has a dramatic drop in fair-weather attendee, make no mistake CK, there will be plenty of Down fans taking the cushy option of TV and champion's league football. It's not just Armagh fans that can be accused of being casual with their support. This match clashes with the Champion's league, the Magners league final, Slane and even the Warrenpoint Blues festival, plus the weather won't be great (showers all day predicted). Each one has a varying effect and sometimes cumulative. Each one will reduce the attendance between a few hundred and a few thousand. I've two friends visiting, they would have come to the game with me as neutrals (two more attendees) but instead they are going to the pub to watch United vs Barca.

Only die hard supporters will be there. I expect that the Ulster council will undersell tickets by around 5,000-8,000. That is an income loss of around £90,000 to £120,000. All those tickets would have been taken up by casual supporters and interested neutrals.

The Ulster Council are going to get a bloody nose on this one, and in truth rightly so. It is a bold arrogant move and I think they will learn a lesson from it. From now on a bit more of a global view will be taken when planning fixtures.

I am raging about it because it makes it a better experience when the place is full and there is a real buzz.

Fuzzman

Yes I think the Ulster Council can be very headstrong and are no strangers to cutting off their nose to spite their face.
I could be wrong but to me it stinks off "Ahh we are true Gaels and don't have any interest in soccer games etc.

As a neutral, I'd say Down supporters feel they've built a new team and that they are on the up. They got to the AI final last year and the fans are hopeful of more big days out in the sun. They go into the game as favourites and with Armagh's long injury list combined with their non too convincing displays in big games under PoR, I think it was inevitable that most of their non hardline fans would stay away.

For most Armagh fans, they've had a long 10 years of running to matches and paying a fortune for match after match so the hunger and belief in the team is no longer there perhaps. Of course they have a big performance in them and could well beat Down but the fair weather summer only fans think this is a game they could miss. They can watch it for free at home and save a fortune on tickets, food & drink and having to listen to Down fans should they lose in their new playground.

I'd say even if it was on the Sunday, there would still not have been a full house for this game and I'd nearly go as far to say that I bet ye they'll be no full houses this year until maybe the AI final.
People have cut back on their spending big time & if their time is on live TV of course they're gonna go for that option if money is tight.

I hope its a good game anyway and not another damp squib. I don't think it will be.

tonto1888

A good thing about living in England is that I dont get all the prematch buld up, ie who's injured, who might be injured and not playing etc. When I was at home - Lurgan - this used to occupy my mind all day everyday. Now, I just get snippets by coming on here. As a result, Im maybe more optimistic about an Armagh win than others, probably niavely so but who cares.
On a side note, anyone know anywhere in Newcastle, England, thatll be showing the game? Would be much appreciated as Im on a stag do there this weekend and dont wanna miss the BIG game of Saturday night

Lazer

Unfortunately, I won't be going to this game - and I do class myself as a true fan!

My attendence this year hasn't been as good as usual.
Been to 2 McKenna cup games (Armagh and Antrim),
League -was at Galway,Armagh,Cork,Dublin.

Reasons for missing the games are other events in my life taking priority

Kerry and Monaghan games missed - the Boyfriend is working in Jersey, and i was over visiting these weekends

Saturdays game is being missed because after much deliberation, I've decided i should go to my best friends hen night - I even tried to persuade her to change the date. I had tickets for Slane, but sold them when I discovered it clashed with this game!

Depending on how far Down get this year, I don't see me making it to many games this summer, between hen nights, weddings and back and forward to Jersey, but you never know!

An Dun Abu!
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)