Connacht SFC Q/Final London v Mayo 29.5.11 in Ruislip

Started by RedandGreenSniper, April 12, 2011, 01:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 09, 2011, 12:49:42 PM
Any update on injuries/form after the weekend's club games? Did Alan Dillon play for Ballintubber. They gave Mitchels some hammering, would be all the more impressive if it was without him.

I see as well that the round of league games fixed the weekend before the London game for Divisions 1A, B and C have been postponed. Fair enough on one level but ffs, could the county board not get their house in order? They knew the date for the London game a long way away, could they not have just sat down with Horan back in March and decided what to do? Instead they fixed games meaning lads made sure they didn't have any plans that weekend and clubs couldn't plan any weekends away, challenges etc. Now the round is pulled, and there can be no fresh reason for this, surely? Not good enough. Once again the humble club player is treated with little respect.

Wasn't at home for the Mitchels match, but was a great result! Dillon did play, scored 4 points (2 frees).
You're dead right about the fixtures, I was surprised to see that they had pencilled a round of games that weekend in the first place. But as you say, there's no obvious reason for them to pull the fixtures at this stage.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

AbbeySider

Quote from: Tubberman on May 09, 2011, 01:08:56 PM
Any update on injuries/form after the weekend's club games? Did Alan Dillon play for Ballintubber. They gave Mitchels some hammering, would be all the more impressive if it was without him.

I see as well that the round of league games fixed the weekend before the London game for Divisions 1A, B and C have been postponed. Fair enough on one level but ffs, could the county board not get their house in order? They knew the date for the London game a long way away, could they not have just sat down with Horan back in March and decided what to do? Instead they fixed games meaning lads made sure they didn't have any plans that weekend and clubs couldn't plan any weekends away, challenges etc. Now the round is pulled, and there can be no fresh reason for this, surely? Not good enough. Once again the humble club player is treated with little respect.

Wasn't at home for the Mitchels match, but was a great result! Dillon did play, scored 4 points (2 frees).
You're dead right about the fixtures, I was surprised to see that they had pencilled a round of games that weekend in the first place. But as you say, there's no obvious reason for them to pull the fixtures at this stage.

At the start of the year there was a promised two week break before the London game so we scheduled the official opening of the Ballintubber Resource Centre and Pitch for May 14th with a Senior club and a Mayo inter county challenge game.

Low and behold the county board fixed club league games for next weekend so we are forced to play twice in the same weekend as Knockmore, the sporting chaps that they are, wont agree to postpone or bring forward our league fixture.

AbbeySider

Ya it was a good win, Ballintubber were by far the better team even though IMO we didnt even play that well for large periods as it was about 16 or 17 minutes before we raised a flag. Castlebar had a huge wind in the first half but failed to capitalise at all with the half time score being 1-4 to 0-6 to Ballintubber. About 20 minutes into the game Padraic O Connor got sent off and Ballintubber played with 14 men for most of the game. 

In the second half Ballintubber took over and won out well in the end. Castlebar were missing Barry Moran, Richie Feeney and Douglas, Ballintubber were missing Darragh Summerville, Damien Coleman, Ray Geraghty and Alan Plunkett didnt start.

EDIT:
Regarding the Mayo lads, apart from Richie Feeney; Dillon, Cuinniffe, Hallinan, Jayo Gibbons all seemed to be flying.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on May 09, 2011, 02:07:14 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on May 09, 2011, 01:08:56 PM

At the start of the year there was a promised two week break before the London game so we scheduled the official opening of the Ballintubber Resource Centre and Pitch for May 14th with a Senior club and a Mayo inter county challenge game.

Low and behold the county board fixed club league games for next weekend so we are forced to play twice in the same weekend as Knockmore, the sporting chaps that they are, wont agree to postpone or bring forward our league fixture.

I wouldn't be blaming Knockmore there, the fourteen day rule (or maybe it is sixteen now) basically means the clubs can do f**k all. If ye played it the following week I'd say they'd be missing Howley and McLoughlin and ye'd be missing yer county flock too. The week after that is London so hard to know where they could turn. It goes back to the County Board to be honest.

Re Ballintubber v Mitchels, I know Castlebar were using this as a game to see where they are at. Now we know. Question is who can stop Ballintubber now and can I be the first to start the McGarry for Mayo campaign?
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Farrandeelin

They should have played a Michael Walsh game I think. It would be all the more suitable for all concerned on the 22nd of June.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RedandGreenSniper

Interesting piece with London manager. I see there's a few Mayos in their squad too.

From www.mayonews.ie

London under no illusions

Paul Coggins is realistic about taking on Mayo

Feature
Mike Finnerty

THE manager of the London senior footballers has conceded that his team are 'realistic' about their prospects of beating Mayo in the Connacht SFC at the end of the month.
Speaking just three weeks before welcoming James Horan's charges to Ruislip, London boss Paul Coggins outlined the approach his team were taking to their biggest game of the season.
"We're training hard and the buzz in the camp is good," the former London footballer told The Mayo News.
"This is my first year in charge and there have been a lot of changes. This time next year, hopefully, we'll be in a much stronger position. But, having said that, we'll be doing everything we can to give a good account of ourselves.
"We'll be breaking the game down to five-minute spells, and five-second spells really," he laughed.
"We have to break it down to that. We'll take it one play, one kick-out, at a time.
"We have to be realistic, and set realistic goals. It's not just about winning, or not winning, the game. It's about putting in the best performance that we possibly can."
Coggins (45) is a native of Granlahan, near Cloonfad, Co Roscommon. However, his parents are both from Mayo and he went to school in Ballyhaunis.
It is no surprise then to learn that he has been doing his home-work on London's opposition, and was among the crowd for Mayo's FBD League encounter with Roscommon back in January.
"I thought Mayo were very impressive in the second half that day," he said.
"I know a lot of those lads won't be involved against us but James Kilcullen caught my eye. He was actually over here for a while and trained with us for a few weeks. I'd have been happy to keep him too!
"But Mayo are a fine team, with plenty of fine footballers, and the likes of Ronan McGarrity and Alan Dillon have a lot of championship experience under their belts."
Experience is something that is in short supply for London this summer; they will be without the likes of Galway's Paul Geraghty, John Niblock and goalkeeper Brian McBrearty for the visit of Mayo while Conor Beirne, a stalwart of their defence in recent years, has returned home and is now part of the Roscommon squad.
Coggins will be hoping that young players like Liam Gavigan and Tom Waters, who are just out of minor, his captain, Seán McVeigh, and Barry Comer can step up to the mark.
The London squad also features ex-Kiltane footballers Tony Gaughan and John Scanlon, Ballaghaderreen's Noel Tuohy and Crossmolina's Seán Kelly.
"We'll be spirited," said Paul Coggins. "There's a great buzz among the players. They're really looking forward to it, working hard, and doing the best they can to be ready.
"But Mayo are a Division 1 team and we're a Division 4 team," he added. "The results weren't what we hoped for during the league. But I was fairly happy with our performances.
"We have to concentrate on ourselves, set our own goals. We want to put in the best performance we possibly can and see where that takes us."
The Coggins family home in Granlahan will have a Mayo flag up again this summer, as Paul's parents nail their colours to the mast.
The London manager is under no illusions about the reception that Mayo likely to get when they hit the field in Ruislip on May 29 either.
"There'll be a big Mayo crowd. Mayo exiles will come from all over Britain and it'll be like a home game for them really. But we'll give it our best shot."

Blowitupref

Ruislip results this year.

London 0-16 Kilkenny 0-2
London 0-7    Roscommon 1-14
London 0-8     Longford 1-15
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Barney

Decided to come out of retirement for the Championship.

It's giong to be a big Summer and an interesting Summer for Mayo.

Very hard to know where we are at. I think we are better placed than last year, I also think that management are gearing everything towards a serious shot at the Connacht Championship and so we were not as sharp in the league as a result.

Assuming we beat London the Galway game is a massive one for both counties. Two years without a Connacht Final appearance would be a blow for either. Whoever wins gets the opportunity to start repairing the damage of last year and building new momentum. Mayo should have the edge in midfield and our forward are doing ok but if we do not gain that foothold in the middle Galway will create chances and are backs are a worry. Thankfully in the Cork game in the league we ended the practice of backs haring up the pitch to get in on the attacking action. I hope this becomes standard come the Summer. Given our problems the one thing we need to ensure is that there are six lads back at all times because it is hard work that will benefit us.

Team for the Championship likely to be something like this -

Hennelly

Tom Cunniffe
Feeney
Higgins

R Feeney
Cafferky
Vaughan

McGarrity
Kilcullen

Dillon
Aidan O'Se
Andy Moran

Campbell
Freeman
Doherty

The backs are definitely a cause for concern. It will be interesting to see how the Feeneys do in championship football but it is hard to see that unit being good enough to cope with one of the better teams in Croke Park. It is too late for the likes of Vaughan, Howley or Geraghty to be coming in, I don't think Hallinan is good enough; James Burke is a bit too loose for my liking, Gardiner appears to be off the boil and I don't think he is what we need right now but I would be surpised to see Lee Keegan make a late push for the number 7 shirt.

boosabum

Bit early yet for him, but there is every chance D Geragthy will find himself in one of the CB places. I think horan feels he needs a good man marker and has identified DG as a possible solution, possibly for the next game. People seen to forget that in the 2004 AIF he held cooper well for the time he was on him even though that was the last we really saw of him on the IC scene

Tubberman

Quote from: boosabum on May 12, 2011, 09:32:33 AM
Bit early yet for him, but there is every chance D Geragthy will find himself in one of the CB places. I think horan feels he needs a good man marker and has identified DG as a possible solution, possibly for the next game. People seen to forget that in the 2004 AIF he held cooper well for the time he was on him even though that was the last we really saw of him on the IC scene

Yep, he's definitely a player that can mark certain type of player out of a game (always keeps Meehan quiet), and can be cruelly exposed by others (anyone with a bit of height really).
I'd have faith that Horan knows when to use Geraghty and when he's unsuited.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

RedandGreenSniper

I dunno lads, the height argument against Dermot Geraghty is a bit overused if you ask me. He was doing well on Cooper in the ground and in the air in 2004 when management panicked because of the damage Johnny Crowley was doing on Gary Ruane in the air and moved Pat Kelly back on Cooper with Geraghty like a fish out at sea in the half-back line. It was Kelly then who was outfielded by Cooper for his goal. In fact what Geraghty struggles with is blinding pace. Meehan doesn't have this - but he does have the height which hasn't given him an advantage off Geraghty. Similarly Geraghty apparently did well on Cillian O'Connor, who doesn't have blinding pace either. He's definitely worth a place in the panel if he is fully fit and sharp.

Welcome back Barney! I'd agree with your team by and large but think McLoughlin will start ahead of Campbell, playing as a seventh defender. Trevor Howley may also be in the reckoning here after doing an impressive job by all accounts in the role against Antrim (quality of opposition notwithstanding) while numbers 2 and 7 are far from settled. I'd be inclined to start Kilcullen at midfield and play Aidan O'Shea in the half-forward line.

Barney

RGS I forgot about McLoughlin - he started 7 league games - he will definitely start the big championship matches.

He has natural footballing ability but I do worry about his physique. He has been bullied a bit too much and tends to give away a lot of fouls.

So what are people's expectations/aims for the season. For me, a Connacht title and a good show in a Quarter Final would be progress. If we lose in Connacht I would hope for a mature attitude to the qualifiers and reach the Quarters that way.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Barney on May 12, 2011, 08:25:55 AM
Hennelly

Tom Cunniffe
Feeney
Higgins

R Feeney
Cafferky
Vaughan

McGarrity
Kilcullen

Dillon
Aidan O'Se
Andy Moran

Campbell
Freeman
Doherty

The backs are definitely a cause for concern. It will be interesting to see how the Feeneys do in championship football but it is hard to see that unit being good enough to cope with one of the better teams in Croke Park. It is too late for the likes of Vaughan, Howley or Geraghty to be coming in, I don't think Hallinan is good enough; James Burke is a bit too loose for my liking, Gardiner appears to be off the boil and I don't think he is what we need right now but I would be surpised to see Lee Keegan make a late push for the number 7 shirt.

Welcome back aboard the bandwagon.
Regarding the last bit, I wouldnt be too quick to write players off like you did. Its often the guys that play great stuff in the FBD and league that are nowhere to be seen later in the championship. Austin O Malley, Ronaldson, Varley all promised stuff in the past early in the season, but when the ground quickened up the legs didnt seem to follow so I think the picture could be very different later in the year.

Anyway regarding your team I would say you have it almost right but if Campbell is to start it will be at number 10 and nowhere else.

The way I think its shaping up is:
Hennelly

Duine Eile, Cafferkey, Higgins
R Feeney, Cunniffe, Vaughan

McGarrity, Kilcullen

Dillon, Aidan O'Se, Andy Moran
Howley, Freeman, Doherty

Starting at the back, I think Hennelly has done enough to push Clarke out from between the sticks as he has played well and looks comfortable on the ball and picking passes out of defence. Also I think his kickout might be more accurate even though Clarke gets better distance.

I think Cafferkey will finally be put back fullback where he is most comfortable as he has not settled at centre back. They might try Cunniffe at centre back if Howley is there to cover him wherever he is needed. Howley played the sweeper role exceptionally well against Antrim so I think he will be given a chance.

I think there is one final battle for a place in the corner between the rest of the defenders (A Feeney, Hallinan, Barrett, Geraghty(?), McGloughlin). McLoughlin has been blowing hot an cold this year with Ok performances against Galway but a poor showing workrate wise against Armagh and Dublin so I think he might lose out. Most of the rest of the defenders have a fighting chance so I think these weeks and challenge games are important for them.

I think if McGarrity is fit then he will be played, otherwise Jason Gibbons or Aidan O Shea will partner Kilcullen, depending on the opposition.

Up front we have 5 excellent forwards which would trouble any defence.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 12, 2011, 04:17:51 PM
Caff in full-back again then eh?  :-\

Has he ever let us down at full-back?

I see David Kilcullen was drafted up to the Mayo Junior squad.
It might be too late for him to make an impression this year but David Kilcullen is a guy that might be able to make the step up next year. Ballintubbers Danny Geraghty could be another option in the future for centre back or midfield.