Connacht SFC Q/Final London v Mayo 29.5.11 in Ruislip

Started by RedandGreenSniper, April 12, 2011, 01:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: seafoid on June 01, 2011, 11:03:21 PM
Quote from: moysider on June 01, 2011, 11:01:29 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 01, 2011, 10:28:53 PM
Jesus, the Mayo nihilism thread sprouted early this year. It couldn't even wait until June.

Aye, and our team could barely wait around until June either  :)

Seriously though, not sure about nihilism but it is all very bizarre. And I m not sure which is more bizarre - the performance in London or the reaction to it. I also think that it is off the mark to lump together the Horan review rejection by the board and all that has gone wrong together.

I agree. I think it is over the top.  Mayo were quite good in the league.
They were much better than Galway. Why would it all go to pot now ?

It might not go to pot at all but I've long since stopped using league performances as a reliable barometer of the Summer. They are usually just a notch above a challenge game in intensity.

moysider

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 01, 2011, 11:53:44 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 01, 2011, 11:03:21 PM
Quote from: moysider on June 01, 2011, 11:01:29 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 01, 2011, 10:28:53 PM
Jesus, the Mayo nihilism thread sprouted early this year. It couldn't even wait until June.

Aye, and our team could barely wait around until June either  :)

Seriously though, not sure about nihilism but it is all very bizarre. And I m not sure which is more bizarre - the performance in London or the reaction to it. I also think that it is off the mark to lump together the Horan review rejection by the board and all that has gone wrong together.

I agree. I think it is over the top.  Mayo were quite good in the league.
They were much better than Galway. Why would it all go to pot now ?

It might not go to pot at all but I've long since stopped using league performances as a reliable barometer of the Summer. They are usually just a notch above a challenge game in intensity.

Not sure about that. It s ok for likes of Kerry, Cork and Tyrone to lay off intensity in league matches. They have been at the top and know where the ceiling is and know how to get back there. For mayo to treat the league as flippantly is not on and I dont think we did. When we had a good selection we really upped it in games in the league. I think teams that expect to get intensity for a couple of matches during the Summer cannot progress. The league may not be a barometer but the fact that some teams have an awful league and a good championship is, I suspect, good fortune.