Connacht SFC Q/Final London v Mayo 29.5.11 in Ruislip

Started by RedandGreenSniper, April 12, 2011, 01:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cosmo Kramer

I think Cunniffe has made a late charge for CHB, maybe management now realise he is much more suited to playing there than in the corner. For me he doesn't seem like a corner back at all and I'm surprised he was played so much at 2 up until now. This will put Cafferkey under pressure for a place in the 15 but I see no reason to take Alan Feeney out of full back, he has done nothing wrong there so far. Cafferkey might be the one to lose out with a R Feeney, Cunniffe, Vaughan half back line and McLoughlin or Howley alongside them in the sweeper role.

Eoghan Reilly might be an outside bet for a corner back spot, he has been kept involved in the panel all the way through but hasn't seen too much game time to date.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

RedandGreenSniper

Ah Jesus have we learned nothing? Tom Cunniffe at centre-half back? When are we going to learn? He is a decent option at wing-back or in the corner but we've seen he's not up to the mark at centre-half back for senior inter-county football. Arguably he's not up to that position for Castlebar either. Ger Cafferkey has been solid at centre-half back and has developed in that position during the league. A couple of average displays, true, but he represents our best option there and I was particularly impressed with his aggression against Cork, our last meaningful game.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

moysider

I m with Sniper here. We can t bin the progress that has taken place so far. No point now going back to what has been tried and failed in the past. It s going to be a leap of faith anyway and with Galway a make or break game the team is going to have to hit the ground running. There may be room for a bit of messing about v London but judging by the piece above this has all the makings of a pub game. Feck all to learn there.

I also expect our wing backs to be the launch pad of our attack and that is the way to go. I can see the comfort of thinking about playing defensive defenders from 2-7 but it s not on. Especially when some of our most dynamic players play in the half back line. I predict a total football approach with one defensive midfielder and a water carrier from the forwards covering. With Howley, McLoughlin, Trevor and Andy around it is a game we are well equipted to play. Ronan has a good radar for a defensive role and Kilcullen can stop men. I expect our 5 and 7 to be central to our game.

saffronandblue

My choice for our championship set up:

Clarke/Hennelly

Geraghty
Feeney
Higgins

R Feeney
Cafferky
Vaughan

McGarrity
O'Shea

Dillon
Andy Moran
McLoughlin

Howley
Freeman
Doherty

Plenty of football in my local clubmen but neither are corner backs.  Both can score and both can attack from deep.  I see Mcgarrity as the holding Midfielder in the same way as he has kept Sean Cavanagh fairly quiet in the past with O'Shea having a free role to attack.  No freetaker on the team from distance which would be my main worry......could cost us 3-5 points a game which is far too much i'd say :-[

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on May 12, 2011, 10:57:54 PM
I m with Sniper here. We can t bin the progress that has taken place so far. No point now going back to what has been tried and failed in the past. It s going to be a leap of faith anyway and with Galway a make or break game the team is going to have to hit the ground running. There may be room for a bit of messing about v London but judging by the piece above this has all the makings of a pub game. Feck all to learn there.

I also expect our wing backs to be the launch pad of our attack and that is the way to go. I can see the comfort of thinking about playing defensive defenders from 2-7 but it s not on. Especially when some of our most dynamic players play in the half back line. I predict a total football approach with one defensive midfielder and a water carrier from the forwards covering. With Howley, McLoughlin, Trevor and Andy around it is a game we are well equipted to play. Ronan has a good radar for a defensive role and Kilcullen can stop men. I expect our 5 and 7 to be central to our game.

It will be interesting to see how our wing-backs are employed. Barney is right to a point when he says that our wing-backs sat back to good effect against Cork but perhaps that was because one of them, Lee Keegan, was making his starting debut. Richie Feeney is able to play both the defensive and attacking roles that may be required from a number 5, that's why he'll be there if fit. McLoughlin and Burke are more attack minded from 7, as would Vaughan. Howley less so. I wouldn't be too put out by Saffron's team with two defenders in the forwards, who would drop back and facilitate attacks from deep which definitely suit our style of football, whilst still leaving plenty of cover.

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 12, 2011, 11:50:56 PM
Quote from: moysider on May 12, 2011, 10:57:54 PM

It will be interesting to see how our wing-backs are employed. Barney is right to a point when he says that our wing-backs sat back to good effect against Cork but perhaps that was because one of them, Lee Keegan, was making his starting debut. Richie Feeney is able to play both the defensive and attacking roles that may be required from a number 5, that's why he'll be there if fit. McLoughlin and Burke are more attack minded from 7, as would Vaughan. Howley less so. I wouldn't be too put out by Saffron's team with two defenders in the forwards, who would drop back and facilitate attacks from deep which definitely suit our style of football, whilst still leaving plenty of cover.

In the Cork game it was backs to the wall in first half and we were forced behind the ball a lot. That shouldn't happen again before August. Anyway I would expect an aggressive attacking approach from deep with the wing backs being key. I would go with Feeney and Burke - and to hell with any looseness there - its a team game. The reality is that Burke is a better link player and is a better passer from foot or hand than anybody else. Vaughan is all there athletically but not sure he s ahead in the peckin order for half back line. The teams that are being picked I like. I like Saffron s team. I m 100% with his midfield. From what I ve seen though I dunno why Cunniffe for 2 and Campbell at 10 are out of favour with folk. I thought they had very good leagues. Cunniffe pulled up injured and Campbell performed well in all games - plus he nails a good free from the right.

rosnarun

Quote from: AbbeySider on May 12, 2011, 04:28:17 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 12, 2011, 04:17:51 PM
Caff in full-back again then eh?  :-\

Has he ever let us down at full-back?

I see David Kilcullen was drafted up to the Mayo Junior squad.
It might be too late for him to make an impression this year but David Kilcullen is a guy that might be able to make the step up next year. Ballintubbers Danny Geraghty could be another option in the future for centre back or midfield.

only every time he has lined out there . as well as CHB
but he seems to be one of the untouchables  with horan as well as on this board with People content to shift the whole defence around for the sake of him
s killcullens return to the scene is the best bit of news in agent a big aggressive natural CHB is what we have been ctying out for. the only other option is probably howley who seems to have a lot of knockers here
Ignoring the london game heres what i think the championship team should look like this
K O'Malley
R feeney A feeney K higgins
P gardiner D kilcullen K Mcloughlin
  S o'se J kilcullen
t mort  A o se dillon
e Varley A Freeman andy

not having Ronaldson and barry moran on the panel are major mistakes and severely limits the team choice and very much makes a noose for Horan to hang himself
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

mannix

Prison Love

Quote from: rosnarun on May 13, 2011, 02:16:54 AM
only every time he has lined out there . as well as CHB
but he seems to be one of the untouchables  with horan as well as on this board with People content to shift the whole defence around for the sake of him
s killcullens return to the scene is the best bit of news in agent a big aggressive natural CHB is what we have been ctying out for. the only other option is probably howley who seems to have a lot of knockers here
Ignoring the london game heres what i think the championship team should look like this
K O'Malley
  S o'se J kilcullen
t mort  A o se dillon
e Varley A Freeman andy

not having Ronaldson and barry moran on the panel are major mistakes and severely limits the team choice and very much makes a noose for Horan to hang himself

You're entitled to your opinion... But...

I'd love to know how you came to selecting that team. Probably our 2 best performers in the league, Doherty and R Feeney, have been ommitted and changed position respectively.

Gardiner, D Kilcullen and T Mort brought in?? Based on what?? D Kilcullen is a decent option but he isn't of the calibre of T Howley. Gardiner will be a useful sub but when we have a player like Feeney there now, he isn't needed. T Mort is another player I would have as no better than a sub. Freeman, Doherty, Dillon and Moran are certainties to start. That leaves 2 places. A O'Shea has failed when tried in the forwards so I would have him as a midfield option.

A Feeney has done little wrong at FB, Higgins will start in the corner, Caff and R Feeney are nailed on in the half back line. That leaves 2 positions in defence. I have no idea who he will go for.

The team I'd pick;

Clarke
Howley       Feeney     Higgins
Feeney         Caff       Vaughan

McGarrity      Kilcullen

Moran         Dillon       McLoughlin
Doherty    Freeman     A'O Shea

I'd have A O'Shea either playing 3rd midfielder or else dropping a line deeper when McLoughlin moves back.

Subs: Cunniffe, Keegan, Burke, S O'Shea, Varley, O'Connor, Campbell

ballinaman

rosnarun seems to have a issue with Caff alright, seems to go to town on the lad in most posts, described him as having "hands of stone" before if i remember correctly, very harsh in my opinion, will do a great job for us this summer.

Welcome to the board prison love. I'd have reservations with Howley in the corner and AOS in your team though, Howely picking up breaking ball around midfield and AOS facing goal could be a better option.

Best of luck to all the lads involved and hope Ruislip will be first of a decent run of games I'm able to attend this summer.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

stephenite

Rosnarun will always start his team picking process by ensuring there are no Ballina Stephenites listed and go from there

muppet

Quote from: stephenite on May 13, 2011, 11:27:31 AM
Rosnarun will always start his team picking process by ensuring there are no Ballina Stephenites listed and go from there

It is a compelling argument!  ;D

However Caff will definitely start or all reason has been lost. It took Cahill a couple of years to find his feet and Hanley was the same. Discarding him would be absurd. The emergence of Alan Feeney is great for the panel and he could start in the FB line but I expect Caff will be either 3 or 6.
MWWSI 2017

RedandGreenSniper

I do wonder is rosnarun a wind-up merchant towards the Ballina lads or is he simply deluded. I hope for his sake it is the former. God love him if he thinks that ought to be the time that plays.

AbbeySider

Quote from: rosnarun on May 13, 2011, 02:16:54 AM
K O'Malley
  S o'se J kilcullen
t mort  A o se dillon
e Varley A Freeman andy

I think its the fact that he simply knows nothing about football.
A few things:
Kenneth O Malley and David Kilcullen are not even on the panel.
Not starting Doherty is insane.

If he is a WUM its fairly pathetic