Connacht SFC Q/Final London v Mayo 29.5.11 in Ruislip

Started by RedandGreenSniper, April 12, 2011, 01:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

The countdown can begin to the trip across the water. Are many going?

Mayo championship squad  of 30 due to be announced at training tonight. James Horan has said that a number of the players who travelled to Inishkeen on Sunday last have not made the 30:
http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12405:mayo-panel-cut-to-30&catid=14&Itemid=100008

It also sounds like Ronan McGarrity could be a doubt for this game.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on April 12, 2011, 01:37:06 PM
The countdown can begin to the trip across the water. Are many going?

Mayo championship squad  of 30 due to be announced at training tonight. James Horan has said that a number of the players who travelled to Inishkeen on Sunday last have not made the 30:
http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12405:mayo-panel-cut-to-30&catid=14&Itemid=100008

It also sounds like Ronan McGarrity could be a doubt for this game.

Your quick off the mark R&GS! This game is about 6 weeks away! What are we going to talk about from now until then? ;)

I suppose rumours of injuries, county challenge and exhibition matches, how county players are moving in club league games might keep us going, but since you started the thread you better be on the ball for the next 6 weeks. ;)

Its a nervous week for a lot of players, there will be a few lumps in throats and prides hurt after tonight's announcement.

Id say it is one of the hardest decisions a Mayo management team will have to make, to pick just a 30 lads from the current group of nearly 40 players in contention. I suppose in one sense it proves that there is more talent in the county that we gave thought for before Horan took over.

Some cuts may be more obvious than others, but my heart goes out to any lad that gets his cards tonight. It wont be the end of the road for a lot of them, but it could be the end for some I guess.

Edit: Whats the story with McGarity's injury?

Also, to answer your question - Yes im making the trip to London for the game ;D
Are you heading over? 

Tubberman

Was there in 06 - was a scorcher of a day and more people were hanging around the clubhouse drinking pint bottles than were looking at the match!  :D

Thinking about going again this year - only thing is it's on same weekend as Champ Lge final is in Wembley I think, so prices could be sky high. Must decide in the next couple of weeks either way.

Saw that about the panel being cut tonight - will be interesting to see who makes it, and even though it's not a very nice thing to say, could be more interesting to see who doesn't make it.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on April 12, 2011, 01:57:32 PM

Your quick off the mark R&GS! This game is about 6 weeks away! What are we going to talk about from now until then? ;)

I suppose rumours of injuries, county challenge and exhibition matches, how county players are moving in club league games might keep us going, but since you started the thread you better be on the ball for the next 6 weeks. ;)

Its a nervous week for a lot of players, there will be a few lumps in throats and prides hurt after tonight's announcement.

Id say it is one of the hardest decisions a Mayo management team will have to make, to pick just a 30 lads from the current group of nearly 40 players in contention. I suppose in one sense it proves that there is more talent in the county that we gave thought for before Horan took over.

Some cuts may be more obvious than others, but my heart goes out to any lad that gets his cards tonight. It wont be the end of the road for a lot of them, but it could be the end for some I guess.

Ah sure the Ulster biys are off the mark already so it seems right we should follow seeing as we talk such a good game! Yeah, club games and injury news and the like will keep us going.

I was talking to one player over the weekend who reckons he is borderline. He is very anxious and me telling him that I thought he would make it didn't really give him much comfort! My heart will go out to him if he doesn't make it, as it will to anyone who doesn't make it. Regardless of what any of us think in terms of how lads have performed and how good they are, all of them have put in a big effort and to miss the cut at this stage is not easy. And not an easy call for management either.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Tubberman on April 12, 2011, 01:59:25 PM
Thinking about going again this year - only thing is it's on same weekend as Champ Lge final is in Wembley I think, so prices could be sky high. Must decide in the next couple of weeks either way.
Ya city centre hotel prices have rocketed a bit but I think if you stayed up around Watford or Ruslip it would be fine for accom
Flights with Ryanair are still reasonable but the times are not great :(

RedandGreenSniper

Was there in 06 - was a scorcher of a day and more people were hanging around the clubhouse drinking pint bottles than were looking at the match!  :D

Saw that about the panel being cut tonight - will be interesting to see who makes it, and even though it's not a very nice thing to say, could be more interesting to see who doesn't make it.

I was there too and, mother of God, what a scorcher it was is right. I was on the pint bottles purely for the cure after a heavy Saturday night! I don't think flights are too bad yet but I would book them before tonight because if United qualify for the semi-finals - and that will be a 'softish' draw against Schalke probably, then expect a rush on bookings. Was trying to get a CL ticket too but missed the lottery date. Will be a great atmosphere all day Saturday though with the Heineken Cup final in the afternoon on TV and the CL Final in the evening. Think I'll go myself but will need to book the flights now!

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on April 12, 2011, 02:04:37 PM
I was talking to one player over the weekend who reckons he is borderline. He is very anxious and me telling him that I thought he would make it didn't really give him much comfort! My heart will go out to him if he doesn't make it, as it will to anyone who doesn't make it. Regardless of what any of us think in terms of how lads have performed and how good they are, all of them have put in a big effort and to miss the cut at this stage is not easy. And not an easy call for management either.

I dont think its fair that we even go into who could be in or who could be out before its actually announced tonight as its that close for some players. In my head, I can only have a guess at possibly 4, and its impossible to tell after that really.

As I said before they may try and officially have 2 goalkeepers, 12 defenders, 4 midfielders and 12 forwards with 2 - 4 more guys coming along to trainings to make up the numbers for games now and again. I do have a funny feeling that they may keep even more than than on programs for fitness and strength and conditioning so if they have potential for next year, they are not too far behind.

ballinaman

I hope to be there all going well. Champions league final ticket sorted, hope United get there now and cure to be had in Ruislip the next day!

AbbeySider

Quote from: ballinaman on April 12, 2011, 03:44:57 PM
I hope to be there all going well. Champions league final ticket sorted, hope United get there now and cure to be had in Ruislip the next day!

This may be a stupid question but where did you get tickets?
I took a quick look online and the cheapest are over £ 1k !!

Is there anywhere someone could get a ticket at this stage?

ballinaman

Quote from: AbbeySider on April 12, 2011, 05:02:15 PM

Cousins are season ticket holders and have a few contacts in Manchester. Think the tickets are from another premier league club as far as i know...All Ireland final kind of job like when you end up getting your ticket from Carlow. :D

ludermor

There was some craic the last time Mayo played in London! The Crown was mental. Id say there will be some crowd around with the Mayo gang living in London and the fact its a bank holiday here.

ross4life

Quote from: ballinaman on April 12, 2011, 05:12:29 PM

Cousins are season ticket holders and have a few contacts in Manchester. Think the tickets are from another premier league club as far as i know...All Ireland final kind of job like when you end up getting your ticket from Carlow. :D

Fair play to you ballinaman CL final in Wembley should be a cracker.

As for the Ruislip game, London have improved..they play more defensive these days but after a early scare i'd expect a 15+ pts win for Mayo.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Rossfan

Same last year  , the clubhouse rooms were all full with about 1500 looking at the game
The GAA annual report gave an official attendance of 3,400 or so :o
They must have counted everyone that came in the front gate all day long.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: ballinaman on April 12, 2011, 05:12:29 PM

I'm on the lookout too but no luck yet. Has the possibility of being a great weekend and liking the look of United's prospects of being there. Would be something else to see them in a final and Barcelona being there would be an unbelievable bonus as well.

rosnarun

dont think ill bother with champions league final not that interested in  Real V schalke

and these prices are in funny money note theAdministration fees are: 26.00 GBP  FFS

There are four price categories available for the general public:

Category 1: 300.00 GBP
Category 2: 225.00 GBP (Youth Package: 338.00 GBP)
Category 3: 150.00 GBP
Wheelchair: 80.00 GBP

Administration fees are: 26.00 GBP (inside Europe) and 36.00 GBP (outside Europe)
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere