AISF 2010: An Dún vs Cill Dara

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 01, 2010, 06:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orangemac

Agree with Donnellys Hollow. Bookies will have little between the teams with Kildare slight favourites.

Have to agree with this. There seems to be a real drive and sense of purpose about Kildare and a sense of progression over the past 3 years. McGeeney has built a really strong team spirit there and although defensivelly they will leak scores you get the impression they are confident of scoring more than the opposition.

After the poor start against Meath some teams may have downed tools but they kept plugging away and eventually ground Meath down.

Not writing off Down by any means as McCartan has done a great job in 1st year. Players have been there to do something for a while but he is the 1st to harness this. His off the field manner has impressed too, to the point, no cliches etc.

Kildare are maybe that bit further down the road than Down.

Whoever wins will be going into the final in a brilliant position as underdogs against either Dublin or Cork.

bennydorano

Down have eradicated their main weakness at 6, but I still feel they are an average enough outfit (and yes I'm aware Armagh are shit), strongish in Mf and good up front but still really ordinary in defence.  I would imagine Down will still play a sweeper and with Kildare's style of game I think it will suit Kildare down to the ground. 

Kildare have won me a few bets this year and I think they'll continue that streak in this game.

seafoid

Surely whoever wins this match has a great chance in the final. Both the Dubs and Cork have had very comprehensive defeats in recent years.

meatsy86

AMBROSE A MAJOR DOUBT FOR SEMI FINAL

According to the irish news today Ambrose has suffered a partial tear to his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), he has to undergo a further scan when the swelling is down but his chances of playing against kildare aren't very good. This doesn't sound to good if i'm being honest, he has been an inspiration at midfield for us this year and would be a big miss for the final. 

bcarrier

An absent or less than fully fit Ambrose would be a disaster for Down. None of the other options have his mobility or overall workrate. The wheels came off in Div 2 final without him.

With it now looking like Earley plays and Rogers is out I expect Kildare to become clear favourites .

Dinny Breen

On the Kildare forum the lads are reporting that the County Board expect to sell up to 40K tickets for this game  :o
#newbridgeornowhere

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 11, 2010, 12:10:02 PM
On the Kildare forum the lads are reporting that the County Board expect to sell up to 40K tickets for this game  :o

you would expect a great following dinny . When is the last time kildare got to the semi's was it 1998 ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Dinny Breen

2000 but that was the Micko bandwagon days, I'd estimate that is a jump of about 25K from the quarter-finals...great all the same though..
#newbridgeornowhere

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 11, 2010, 12:18:22 PM
2000 but that was the Micko bandwagon days, I'd estimate that is a jump of about 25K from the quarter-finals...great all the same though..

it's great dinny and that what the championship is all about, nothing better than seeing Croker Full. Most people i'd be talking to would be hoping that Kildare go on to win the Ai, nothing against the other teams left in the championship but it's 80 odd years since ye won it last and it would be great to see ye do it .
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Dinny Breen

Not even looking beyond the semi-final at this stage...
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

I've heard that some of the tickets allocated to the clubs are poor enough.

It's a pity they don't look after the genuine GAA people instead of wasting money on Maginot Line fencing.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 11, 2010, 12:39:30 PM
Not even looking beyond the semi-final at this stage...

off course not , should be a great game
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

yellowcard

If as expected Rogers is out, I think Down can forget about winning this game. He is their leader and most influential player. They simply don't have the strength in depth that other counties have. Lump on Kildare for this one.

snoopdog

Without Ambrose, its kildares to lose. Down are no where near as dominant in the middle without him. Thats a big blow.

snoopdog

Quote from: yellowcard on August 11, 2010, 01:39:41 PM
If as expected Rogers is out, I think Down can forget about winning this game. He is their leader and most influential player. They simply don't have the strength in depth that other counties have. Lump on Kildare for this one.

Well i wouldnt say putting Big Dan Gordon into the middle isnt an option but its then who do we stick into Full back. Im sure Wee James has a while to work on it.
But yes Kildare would be hot favourites now. As Earley will be fit.
Young fitzpatrick wouldnt have the experience on Earley.