AISF 2010: An Dún vs Cill Dara

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 01, 2010, 06:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Hardy on August 11, 2010, 05:00:05 PM
You could be right. I was basing my guess on the proportion of Roscommon colours in the crowd and trying t be conservative at that. But not all supporters are wearing the colours or waving flags.

There are a lot of undercover Rossies as well. And of course all the ghosts who live in those new estates.

Dubh driocht

Quiz question ;
What is the connection between Kildare's greatest ever player and the current Down team ?

DownFanatic

Quote from: Dubh driocht on August 11, 2010, 08:08:12 PM
Quiz question ;
What is the connection between Kildare's greatest ever player and the current Down team ?

Bill 'Squires' Gannon once bought a ewe from a farmer in Saval and Saval is the home club of Down panellist Danny Hughes.

Dubh driocht

Thats a great answer but it's wrong

under the bar

QuoteQuiz question ;

Kildare's Dermot Early is feeling down by the fact his season may be over and quite a lot of boys from Down like to get up early!

Donnellys Hollow

Quiz question ;

Sos Dowling sold carpets to Dan Gordon?
Willie McCreery trains a horse for a syndicate of the Down forwards?
Christy Byrne painted the gable of Benny Coulter's house?
Dale Hynan had his stag night in the Canal Court Hotel?

I'm dying to know who Kildare's greatest ever player is!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ross4life

How many of the current Kildare panel played in the All Ireland under 21 final v Kerry in 2008?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: ross4life on August 12, 2010, 01:21:22 AM
How many of the current Kildare panel played in the All Ireland under 21 final v Kerry in 2008?

Of the starting XV the last day both Alan Smith and Eoghan O'Flaherty started in the forwards in Thurles. Hugh McGrillen was on the u21 panel that year but only made a few appearances off the bench - he definitely came on against Down in the semi-final in Navan but I don't think he featured at all in the final. I don't think Keith Cribbin was involved at all despite being eligable.

Gary White and David Whyte are the only others from that u21 team who are on the senior panel at the moment I think. Declan Brennan would probably have been involved as well this year but he opted out of the panel due to college commitments.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ballela-angel

Young fitzpatrick wouldnt have the experience on Earley

Definitely a big blow to loose young Ambrose for the semi-final - Wouldn't be too worried about Fitzpartick's experience against Early as the same was said in 1968 about Colm McAlarney when he was up against Mick O'Connell, and McAlarney wiped the floor with him
That awkward moment - Not sure if you do have free time or if you're just forgetting everything!

StGallsGAA

QuoteQuiz question ;

Anthony Rainbow loves to eat Ambrosia creamed rice while Ambrose Rodgers found a crock of Kerry Gold at the end of the rainbow?

western exile

Quote from: Catch the high ball on August 11, 2010, 04:52:58 PM
Is it too late to include possibly Paul Murphy of the Harps?

It may seem unfair on Pete Fitz but apparently Murphy had a stormer in the middle against Rostrevor last week.

How did Fitzpatrick get on against Saval at the weekend?
He had a great second half where he won his battle with Steven Kearney easily.   Saval were 8 points ahead at half time, but Fitzpatrick won enough possession in midfield in the second half to make a real game of it, and put Ballymartin in a position to almost win it.

Peter Fitzpatrick is as good a deputy for Down as Hugh Lynch is for Kildare,  in the event of neither Rodgers nor Earley playing

Hardy

Quiz question ;

The current Down team, unlike the team of 1968, don't train by running laps around Pa Connolly.

Dubh driocht

Larry Stanley was probably Kildare's greatest ever footballer. As well as playing for the team for 14 years, he captained them to win the All-Ireland in 1919 and represented Ireland at the 1924 Olympics.
His neice was a nun who taught in St Louis, Kilkeel, for many years in the 70s and 80s. In an age when clerical figures aren't always popular, she was a gem- great craic and a great Gael.Her legacy contributed to a strong GAA tradition in the school, which has 5 past-pupils in the current Down squad ( Clarkes, Colgan,Fitzpatrick and Howard).

passedit

Quote from: Dubh driocht on August 12, 2010, 11:52:44 AM
Larry Stanley was probably Kildare's greatest ever footballer. As well as playing for the team for 14 years, he captained them to win the All-Ireland in 1919 and represented Ireland at the 1924 Olympics.
His neice was a nun who taught in St Louis, Kilkeel, for many years in the 70s and 80s. In an age when clerical figures aren't always popular, she was a gem- great craic and a great Gael.Her legacy contributed to a strong GAA tradition in the school, which has 5 past-pupils in the current Down squad ( Clarkes, Colgan,Fitzpatrick and Howard).

I vaguely remembered some chat about Stanley's niece during the Mc Rory runs, however I had it my head that she was the Clarkes' granny. Funny how the mind plays tricks on ye as ye get older.

On the match, I hope James goes for the straight swap if Ambrose doesn't make it, given the right confidence boost, I would hope that Fitzpatrick is capable of a repeat of his U21 performance on O Se a couple of years back. As well as that I hope they don't try and patch Ambrose up and start him if he's not right, Croke Park is no place to be carrying an injury.
Don't Panic

Dinny Breen

I see Pat McEaney is refereeing the semi.
#newbridgeornowhere