AISF 2010: An Dún vs Cill Dara

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 01, 2010, 06:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

Hope Dermot Early makes it, a great player who deserves his day in the limelight.

Mourne Rover

The league meeting between these teams six months ago will have little bearing on the semi final, but it is still striking how close the Down line-up back then was to the championship 15 and how many changes Kildare have since introduced. I think Kildare had also picked up a couple of suspensions in the O'Byrne Cup, and they were completely out of sorts in Newbridge that day. However, James had a pretty clear idea of most of his best side from the very start of the season,and you might as well start as you mean to continue.

Sunday, February 7, 2010
Allianz NFL Division 2
At Newbridge
Down 1-16
Kildare 0-8
Kildare - S McCormack; A MacLochlainn, M Foley, E Bolton; G White (0-1) , B Flanagan, A Rainbow; D Flynn, D Earley; D Whyte, P O'Neill (0-1) , R Kelly (0-3); K Ennis (0-2) , R Sweeney, J Kavanagh (0-1). Subs: H McGrillen for Foley (16 mins), K Donnelly for Sweeney (49 mins), D Lyons for Rainbow (49 mins), K Cribbin for Cavanaugh (59 mins), R Walsh for Cribbin inj (69 mins).
Down - B McVeigh; D McCartan, B McArdle, D Rafferty; K McKernan, J Colgan, C Garvey (0-1); A Rodgers (0-3) , K King; C Maginn, M Clarke (0-3, 3f), D Hughes (0-1); P McComiskey (1-4, 2f), J Clarke (0-2) , B Coulter. Subs: C Laverty (0-1) for Maginn (49 mins), S Kearney (0-1) for Hughes (58 mins), M Poland for Coulter (64 mins), P Fitzpatrick for King (65 mins), P Greenan for Rodgers (67 mins).
Ref: D Fahy (Longford)

Tyrones own

Quote from: Mourne Rover on August 02, 2010, 11:52:41 PM
The league meeting between these teams six months ago will have little bearing on the semi final, but it is still striking how close the Down line-up back then was to the championship 15 and how many changes Kildare have since introduced. I think Kildare had also picked up a couple of suspensions in the O'Byrne Cup, and they were completely out of sorts in Newbridge that day. However, James had a pretty clear idea of most of his best side from the very start of the season,and you might as well start as you mean to continue.

Sunday, February 7, 2010
Allianz NFL Division 2
At Newbridge
Down 1-16
Kildare 0-8
Kildare - S McCormack; A MacLochlainn, M Foley, E Bolton; G White (0-1) , B Flanagan, A Rainbow; D Flynn, D Earley; D Whyte, P O'Neill (0-1) , R Kelly (0-3); K Ennis (0-2) , R Sweeney, J Kavanagh (0-1). Subs: H McGrillen for Foley (16 mins), K Donnelly for Sweeney (49 mins), D Lyons for Rainbow (49 mins), K Cribbin for Cavanaugh (59 mins), R Walsh for Cribbin inj (69 mins).
Down - B McVeigh; D McCartan, B McArdle, D Rafferty; K McKernan, J Colgan, C Garvey (0-1); A Rodgers (0-3) , K King; C Maginn, M Clarke (0-3, 3f), D Hughes (0-1); P McComiskey (1-4, 2f), J Clarke (0-2) , B Coulter. Subs: C Laverty (0-1) for Maginn (49 mins), S Kearney (0-1) for Hughes (58 mins), M Poland for Coulter (64 mins), P Fitzpatrick for King (65 mins), P Greenan for Rodgers (67 mins).
Ref: D Fahy (Longford)

John Doyle will be present this time around though :-\
Should be an absolute cracker..can't wait!
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on August 02, 2010, 10:22:15 PM
Quote from: WeePeteIsALegend on August 02, 2010, 10:07:18 PM
Quote from: In the Onion Bag on August 02, 2010, 09:40:37 PM
Down are notorious semi-final bottlers and this will be another.
We've only contested 12 and won 5 of them.

Thanks, you have just proved my point.
[/quote]

Hardly. 5/12 is a 42% hit rate.

Considering probability would have you win 50%... its not far off the median. Below average would be a better term than "bottlers".
i usse an speelchekor

naka

wee story from saturday, wife and daughter  big down fans( I know , i know) happy as larry with the result etc, wee fella a bitter twisted armagh man like his da, as soon as sundays game over and the lilly whites win , wee man singing Geezers gonna stop you, geezer`s gonna stop you.
that`s my boy ;D

ross matt

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 02, 2010, 10:38:11 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 02, 2010, 08:23:10 PM
Will be a closely guarded secret I'd imagine DH, he needs an op just depends on how much damage was done this time,  4 weeks will allow of lot a rehab, wouldn't risk him but I'm sure he'll risk himself....

Amazing sacrifices he has made for the cause. Hopefully he'll soldier on again because the Down midfield looked fairly handy on Saturday. A few weeks of oxygen treatment could do the job.

If he does make it I reckon McGeeney might try to do what Tyrone did with Canavan a few years ago. Start him, take him off and then bring him on again for the last ten minutes or so. Himself, JD, Roli and Rainbow are the only lads who have been at this stage before. That experience could be important in the build up to the match.
It would be the cruelest of luck if he does'nt make it after his fine career since '98 not to mention what he's gone through off the pitch this year. 4 weeks gives him a decent chance to temporarily fix it to see out the season. Here's hoping anyway. Heartwarming to hear the Rossie crowd respond on Sunday when his name was called out.

WeePeteIsALegend

Correct RadioGaaGaa, although I would argue that for the vast majority of time the Ulster winners were simply of a lower standard than their Munster, Connacht and Leinster counterparts - hence so few Ulster All Ireland wins comparing to the rest of the country. In actual fact, I would not be surprised at all if Down had one of the highest semi final win percentages (top 8) in Ireland. Like I said, the word 'bottling' was completely wrong.

Personally think the dropping of Colgan has made a world of difference. Unless he starts to sort out his positional sense to compensate for a severe lack of pace at inter-county level, he'll never start regularly. Don't rate McKernan too highly either, but at least he knows where to put himself and reads the game well - he's an improvement along our 40.

What I've enjoyed most is Wee James' attitude after the win over Kerry. Keeping us grounded, making sure we know we've achieved little and having the players realise that they have a huge job on their hands in a few weeks time.
''Im very glad you won dat fight Matt, but Im a not imprezzed by your performance''

Donnellys Hollow

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/earley-signs-are-positive-that-talisman-will-be-back-for-lilywhites-2282743.html

Earley signs are positive that talisman will be back for Lilywhites

By Colm Keys

Wednesday August 04 2010

Dermot Earley received a boost yesterday after scans revealed that the knee injury which put him out of the All-Ireland quarter-final against Meath on Sunday is not as bad as initially feared.

Earley has battled through the current campaign with a severed cruciate ligament and it came back to haunt him once again in the early stages of the Royals encounter. He had to go off just two minutes into the match after the knee gave way while he was kicking the ball.

However, an MRI scan yesterday threw up results that weren't as bad as initially feared, according to Kildare selector Niall Carew.

"We're hopeful that Dermot will be alright for the Down match," said Carew.

"The results of the scan were not as bad as we had feared, so there is hope that he will be able to play.

"Dermot will rest up this week and then he will be doing a lot of rehab, but the signs are good that he will be back."

Earley's importance to the team this year could not be overstated, but the manner of Kildare's recovery after he went off underlined a strength of character that has developed in the side over the last six weeks.

Earley's replacement Hughie Lynch, in his first full season with the Lilywhites, stepped up to the mark impressively, but Kildare will give their natural leader every opportunity to make the All-Ireland semi-final with Down in just under four weeks.

Great news. Get the rosary beads and the holy water out for the next few weeks now.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 04, 2010, 01:44:00 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/earley-signs-are-positive-that-talisman-will-be-back-for-lilywhites-2282743.html

By Colm Keys

Wednesday August 04 2010

Dermot Earley received a boost yesterday after scans revealed that the knee injury which put him out of the All-Ireland quarter-final against Meath on Sunday is not as bad as initially feared.

Earley has battled through the current campaign with a severed cruciate ligament and it came back to haunt him once again in the early stages of the Royals encounter. He had to go off just two minutes into the match after the knee gave way while he was kicking the ball.

However, an MRI scan yesterday threw up results that weren't as bad as initially feared, according to Kildare selector Niall Carew.

"The results of the scan were not as bad as we had feared, so there is hope that he will be able to play.

"Dermot will rest up this week and then he will be doing a lot of rehab, but the signs are good that he will be back."

Earley's importance to the team this year could not be overstated, but the manner of Kildare's recovery after he went off underlined a strength of character that has developed in the side over the last six weeks.

Earley's replacement Hughie Lynch, in his first full season with the Lilywhites, stepped up to the mark impressively, but Kildare will give their natural leader every opportunity to make the All-Ireland semi-final with Down in just under four weeks.

Great news. Get the rosary beads and the holy water out for the next few weeks now.

Who took his place in the Meath game? I can't remember exactly but thought Kildare done well around the middle which was the sprigboard for their many attacks on the Meath goal. All that to say, would his replacement 'do a job' the next day against Rogers and the King?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on August 04, 2010, 01:48:39 PM
Who took his place in the Meath game? I can't remember exactly but thought Kildare done well around the middle which was the sprigboard for their many attacks on the Meath goal. All that to say, would his replacement 'do a job' the next day against Rogers and the King?

Hughie Lynch from Confey came in and did well. Gave the ball in for Kavanagh's goal and made a crucial interception when Crawford was bearing down on the Kildare goal at the start of the second half.

Lynch and Daryl Flynn (who has been superb all year for Kildare) would hold their own but Dermot is Kildare's leader. Even on one leg he would be out on the field. His bravery to line out against Antrim on the day his father was buried sums the man up. The rest of the Kildare players would go through a brick wall for him.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Applesisapples

Quote from: WeePeteIsALegend on August 03, 2010, 12:58:25 PM
Correct RadioGaaGaa, although I would argue that for the vast majority of time the Ulster winners were simply of a lower standard than their Munster, Connacht and Leinster counterparts - hence so few Ulster All Ireland wins comparing to the rest of the country. In actual fact, I would not be surprised at all if Down had one of the highest semi final win percentages (top 8) in Ireland. Like I said, the word 'bottling' was completely wrong.

Personally think the dropping of Colgan has made a world of difference. Unless he starts to sort out his positional sense to compensate for a severe lack of pace at inter-county level, he'll never start regularly. Don't rate McKernan too highly either, but at least he knows where to put himself and reads the game well - he's an improvement along our 40.

What I've enjoyed most is Wee James' attitude after the win over Kerry. Keeping us grounded, making sure we know we've achieved little and having the players realise that they have a huge job on their hands in a few weeks time.
If this is grounded i'd hate to see you losing the run of yourself!! ;D

snoopdog

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 04, 2010, 05:16:34 PM
Quote from: WeePeteIsALegend on August 03, 2010, 12:58:25 PM

If this is grounded i'd hate to see you losing the run of yourself!! ;D

Down cant afford to lose the run of themselves. at the end of the Day manys a Down team have gotten to and Lost a Semi final and were forgotten about. This Down team will be well versed by Wee James and will hopefully live up to the occasion.
Nobody remebers who came second let alone losing semi finalists.
Lucky teams get to semi finals, This down team has not had to rely on any luck yet this year bar a post in Tullamore.

Puckoon

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 04, 2010, 01:44:00 PM

By Colm Keys

Wednesday August 04 2010

Nonsense - rest him for the final.

Wee Shea

Quote from: naka on August 03, 2010, 10:47:21 AM
wee story from saturday, wife and daughter  big down fans( I know , i know) happy as larry with the result etc, wee fella a bitter twisted armagh man like his da, as soon as sundays game over and the lilly whites win , wee man singing Geezers gonna stop you, geezer`s gonna stop you.
that`s my boy ;D

Did you make the child stay up right through from Saturday? No wonder he was ramlbling nonsense.

western exile

Although they have never met in Championship, they have met in a semi-final before.  The NFL semi final of 1983.
Down 1-9   Kildare 0-4

Down went on to win the final too. But that was the last time that Down won the National League.