IS JOHN O'MAHONY OVERRATED AS A MANAGER???

Started by Shrewdness, April 26, 2010, 07:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 28, 2010, 02:18:07 PM
Love this comment :D

QuoteZulu, we all love you, but you're barred from naming the entire Cork panel. You'll only get excited and make a mess.

Sorry Zulu, it's true. You have serious man love for Cork this past couple of years.

:D :D :D :D Yeah I know boys, I'm kinda conscious of it at this stage myself.

Zulu

On the point of great players being needed for teams to win AI's, I don't think you necessarily need players who will be regarded as greats in 20 years time but they do need to be among the best players in the country at the time. Another factor that needs to be considered is the quality of opponents in a particular era. I think it is very hard to win an AI without at least 3 or 4 players that would make most peoples top 15 in the country.

Hardy

Quote from: Main Street on April 28, 2010, 04:42:05 PM
Quote from: deiseach on April 28, 2010, 09:18:08 AM
Quote from: seafoid on April 28, 2010, 09:11:31 AM
It wasn't just about putting Meath to the sword on the national stage in the great cathedral in front of 70,000 people. It was also about the mental anguish that was inflicted on Meath and still causes a wince in Meath people nine years on when the wound is reopened around championship time.  It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Ah yes, I remember it well. My flatmate at the time, an inveterate Meath-hater, went in to a pub to watch the match (this was in Liverpool) with a sour look on his face. The moment he walked back through the door I knew the result. And I rejoiced with him.

It should be noted that the only time Meath have regained that swagger was against Mayo last year. Christ, there was a Mayo lad sitting near me in the Hogan Stand and I wanted to go over and give him a hug.

It was Down in 1991 who craftily withstood the battering ram of Meath invincibility and put them to the sword.
It's just that Meath staggered on, Rasputin like, to regain a second wind before finally succumbing.

Staggered on to two more All-Irelands with a whole new team, bar two players.

spuds

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 28, 2010, 05:43:43 PM
I've always said Maurice Fitz is my top forward of the recent past. I have great time for Declan O'Sullivan as well.

I think Mickey Linden was top class.

Kevin O'Brien would be just below them in my estimation, but I actually would have him ahead of Gooch as a footballer.

know im getting way of topic but interesting to see if kevin o brien would be top 5 over last 20 yrs when considering thisbunch

peter canavan
steven o neill
stevie mcdonald
mairtin beag
tony boyle
paddy bradley
micky linden
wee james
greg blaney
mattie ford
johnny doyle
ollie murphy
trevor giles
alan brogan
bernard brogan
dessie dolan
dessie barry
vinnie claffey
michael donnellan
ja
pj tips  ;)
val daly
tony mcmanus
james horan
alan dillon
ciaran mcd
marcus hannick
maurice fitz
gooch
declan o sullivan
star
declan brown

most of these lads made there nme playing at business end of year in intense high presure games
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

seafoid

Quote from: Hardy on April 28, 2010, 08:30:19 PM

Staggered on to two more All-Irelands with a whole new team, bar two players.

Good man Hardy. Sue them if they get too uppity.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: spuds on April 28, 2010, 09:05:18 PM
I've always said Maurice Fitz is my top forward of the recent past. I have great time for Declan O'Sullivan as well.

Kevin O'Brien would be just below them in my estimation, but I actually would have him ahead of Gooch as a footballer.

know im getting way of topic but interesting to see if kevin o brien would be top 5 over last 20 yrs when considering thisbunch

peter canavan
steven o neill
stevie mcdonald
mairtin beag
tony boyle
paddy bradley
micky linden
wee james
greg blaney
mattie ford
johnny doyle
ollie murphy
trevor giles
alan brogan
bernard brogan
dessie dolan
dessie barry
vinnie claffey
michael donnellan
ja
pj tips  ;)
val daly
tony mcmanus
james horan
alan dillon
ciaran mcd
marcus hannick
maurice fitz
gooch
declan o sullivan
star
declan brown

most of these lads made there nme playing at business end of year in intense high presure games
What has that fella from Killala done to merit being on this list?   

brokencrossbar1

peter canavan
steven o neill
stevie mcdonald
mairtin beag
tony boyle
paddy bradley
micky linden
wee james
greg blaney
mattie ford
johnny doyle
ollie murphy
trevor giles
alan brogan
bernard brogan

dessie dolan
dessie barry
[vinnie claffey
michael donnellan
ja
pj tips  ;)
val daly
tony mcmanus
james horan
alan dillon
ciaran mcd
marcus hannick
maurice fitz
gooch
declan o sullivan
star
declan brown

The players I have lined out would be inferior to O'Brien irrespective of where they have made their names.  Some of them, you're just taking the piss now!

Shrewdness

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on April 26, 2010, 11:03:26 PM
I don't think he can be rated over one match which seems to be what the OP is really asking.  I was with a Mayo man in Croker yesterday and I felt the man's pain.  Cork are a class side though so I don't read too much into the result.  Certainly Mayo have a lot to do as was evidenced yesterday but it's like this, the lessons they learned yesterday will bode well for them later in the year.  In my opinion, Cork are the team to beat in Croker in August this year

My opening post was NOT asking if he was overrated just because of last Sunday. It was a question about him in general.

moysider

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 28, 2010, 10:42:36 PM

peter canavan
steven o neill
stevie mcdonald
mairtin beag
tony boyle
paddy bradley
micky linden
wee james
greg blaney
mattie ford
johnny doyle
ollie murphy
trevor giles
alan brogan
bernard brogan

dessie dolan
dessie barry
[vinnie claffey
michael donnellan
ja
pj tips  ;)
val daly
tony mcmanus
james horan
alan dillon
ciaran mcd
marcus hannick
maurice fitz
gooch
declan o sullivan
star
declan brown

The players I have lined out would be inferior to O'Brien irrespective of where they have made their names.  Some of them, you're just taking the piss now!

To be honest I saw very little of O Brien and what I did was on tv for mainly geographical reasons. In fact I dont ever recollect Mayo ever playing Wicklow when he was playing - or any other time either. My loss. I did see a player you ve crossed off though. Declan Browne looked special any time I ever saw him. And if I could sign any forward/player now for Mayo it would be Declan O Sullivan. A lad I thought would be shortlisted above is Graham Geraghty. Love him or hate him he was some player.

Shrewdness

Where did the discussion of O'Mahony go?....Looks like it's over.

rosnarun

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 28, 2010, 11:23:40 PM
Where did the discussion of O'Mahony go?....Looks like it's over.
not unless he has resigned
in the mean time the important issue seems to be if kevin obrien would have been better player if given the chance with a stronger county than Marcus hannick might be if hes given a proper chance with mayo.
I hope i have got the gist of it
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Logan

Ok ... back on track here.

Is JOM overrated?

Not overall and looking back on his achievements across the board, no he's not.
He's had an incredibly successful career and has been a very talented manager in many counties and with different bunches of lads.

However, have his abilities and skills deteriorated in the past few years? I think so, yes.
Perhaps it that the standards of other managers have developed more in the past few years and that he just hasn't kept pace, or perhaps the job is taking more time away from his ability to stay on top of the management role, but I'm not sure he's the same threat recently.

Logan

Apology in advance if this goes off track ... BUT ... I was wondering who Mayo people would consider their ideal choice of manager (if they could choose any manager) to win an All Ireland with the current team?

My own opinion is that no current manager could win an All Ireland with the current Mayo players available (you can include Ciaran Mac in that as well BTW).

I'm not sure Mickey Harte or Jack could, possibly Joe, so I think JOM is the best option.

Do Mayo people believe there is better out there?

stephenite

I think it needs to be a management team led by Moysider, he can be in charge of tactics and coaching the players. He'll ensure that there's no catching of the ball from kick outs and Tom Parsons will just be coached back into playing at the level he's capable.

Barney can be a selector with an eye on retrospective statistics and letting us know where there's no point in playing because we haven't won there in 9 years.

Iorlar would be the other selector who deals with the meeja and ensures that everyone is kept up to date, via the National newspapers, with honest no nonsense appraisals of how the team are travelling and where it's going wrong, a kind of anti spin doctor if you will. It is our right, after all.

There'll be no psychologists or any of that old rubbish - pure football.

:P Sorry lads, couldn't resist

small white mayoman

Quote from: stephenite on April 29, 2010, 07:48:34 AM
I think it needs to be a management team led by Moysider, he can be in charge of tactics and coaching the players. He'll ensure that there's no catching of the ball from kick outs and Tom Parsons will just be coached back into playing at the level he's capable.

Barney can be a selector with an eye on retrospective statistics and letting us know where there's no point in playing because we haven't won there in 9 years.

Iorlar would be the other selector who deals with the meeja and ensures that everyone is kept up to date, via the National newspapers, with honest no nonsense appraisals of how the team are travelling and where it's going wrong, a kind of anti spin doctor if you will. It is our right, after all.

There'll be no psychologists or any of that old rubbish - pure football.

:P Sorry lads, couldn't resist

i'd go with that especially whe you consider the (sleeping) selectors mayo have at present, at least the 3 boys wouldn't let johnno run the show and might actually have some ideas of their own  ;)
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007