IS JOHN O'MAHONY OVERRATED AS A MANAGER???

Started by Shrewdness, April 26, 2010, 07:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

http://www.hoganstand.com/Mayo/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=127768

I find the quote, "The players approached us and said they were interested in this idea" very strange. Shouldnt it be the management team approached us, as in part of the teams build up. Is there trouble in the camp or what between management and players? To me it tells me the players dont trust the management to get them in shape for the CSFC.

I also remember after the MM era, the mayo players were a disllusioned at JOM methods the yr after. I remember reading quotes," we bought into the ideas and training of this set up this yr" in JOM 2nd yr in charge..."last yr we adjusting and didnt believe fully in it"

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

INDIANA

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 28, 2010, 03:44:02 PM

I find the quote, "The players approached us and said they were interested in this idea" very strange. Shouldnt it be the management team approached us, as in part of the teams build up. Is there trouble in the camp or what between management and players? To me it tells me the players dont trust the management to get them in shape for the CSFC.

I also remember after the MM era, the mayo players were a disllusioned at JOM methods the yr after. I remember reading quotes," we bought into the ideas and training of this set up this yr" in JOM 2nd yr in charge..."last yr we adjusting and didnt believe fully in it"

Management are right. Those foreign training camps are a complete waste of time.

Logan

Quote from: INDIANA on April 28, 2010, 03:38:07 PM
Quote from: Logan on April 28, 2010, 03:21:29 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on April 28, 2010, 03:04:52 PM
Quote from: Logan on April 28, 2010, 02:34:53 PM
O'Leary wasn't a great. Who else? Redmond? Stynes? Barr? Gavin? Vinnie? Sherlock?

Bollox. O Leary has no peer as a keeper in the last 25 years. None. Check the stats- unparalled
Oh right ... after O'Keefe or Murphy, with what 2 and 4 All Irelands or something? Yeh, no peer indeed.

Neither of whom in a hapenny place compared to O Leary. As I said check the stats- championship appearances, goals conceded.etc etc etc etc.
Kevin O Brien is in the top 5 forwards of the last 20 years and he never won an all-ireland. Since when did winning an all-ireland be a barometer of individual excellence?
Only to those lazy in their analysis.
What are you talking about man?

It was said that to win an All Ireland Mayo need a GREAT player(s) and they don't have a GREAT or GREATS of the calibre of a Cooper or Cavanagh.

Dublin didn't have a player of the quality of Cooper or Cavanagh, apart from possibly Tohill in '93 Derry didn't either.

But oh wait you've got the 'analysis' done I'm sure to prove that Mayo have greats or that Mortimer is a great or some other bullshit.
When a statistician wins a match you'll be listened to.

Mayo have some very good players and have had some fabulous players over the recent years.

Kevin O'Brien is in the top 5 forwards of the past 20 years?
FFS  ::)

Logan

Quote from: INDIANA on April 28, 2010, 03:54:30 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 28, 2010, 03:44:02 PM

Management are right. Those foreign training camps are a complete waste of time.

I am sure there'll be a few people hit hard by the recession probably not feeling great about this trip.
Possibly even one or two players?

Main Street

Quote from: deiseach on April 28, 2010, 09:18:08 AM
Quote from: seafoid on April 28, 2010, 09:11:31 AM
It wasn't just about putting Meath to the sword on the national stage in the great cathedral in front of 70,000 people. It was also about the mental anguish that was inflicted on Meath and still causes a wince in Meath people nine years on when the wound is reopened around championship time.  It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Ah yes, I remember it well. My flatmate at the time, an inveterate Meath-hater, went in to a pub to watch the match (this was in Liverpool) with a sour look on his face. The moment he walked back through the door I knew the result. And I rejoiced with him.

It should be noted that the only time Meath have regained that swagger was against Mayo last year. Christ, there was a Mayo lad sitting near me in the Hogan Stand and I wanted to go over and give him a hug.

It was Down in 1991 who craftily withstood the battering ram of Meath invincibility and put them to the sword.
It's just that Meath staggered on, Rasputin like, to regain a second wind before finally succumbing.

AZOffaly

Kevin O'Brien as a footballer was one of the best forwards of the past 20 years. I'd put him alongside anyone since 1990 onwards. He'd have made any county team, and I mean any county team, at his peak.

spuds

makin any co team biteen easier to being top 5 over last 20 yrs
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

AZOffaly

I don't know if he's top 5, but he's certainly among the top forwards of the past 20 years, and would have made any county team. If I ranked the forwards he may well be top 5, and is almost certainly top 10.

Canalman

Kevin O'Brien was a brilliant footballer....... certainly one of the best I have ever seen. On a par imo with Cooper,Fitzgerald ,Linden,McDonnell and O'Sullivan.

passedit

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 28, 2010, 05:19:33 PM
I don't know if he's top 5, but he's certainly among the top forwards of the past 20 years, and would have made any county team. If I ranked the forwards he may well be top 5, and is almost certainly top 10.
Wavering there AZ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpYEJx7PkWE&feature=related
Don't Panic

AZOffaly

I've always said Maurice Fitz is my top forward of the recent past. I have great time for Declan O'Sullivan as well.

I think Mickey Linden was top class.

Kevin O'Brien would be just below them in my estimation, but I actually would have him ahead of Gooch as a footballer.

AZOffaly

Quote from: passedit on April 28, 2010, 05:42:23 PM
Wavering there AZ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpYEJx7PkWE&feature=related

Not at all passedit. I never said he was top 5 to begin with. But the comment that made it sound as if that were ridiculous was wide of the mark in my eyes.

I think he is certainly one of the top 10, maybe top 5, and would have made any county team I've ever seen. I think that's consistent enough.

Donnellys Hollow

Kevin O'Brien would definitely be up there as one of the best forwards of the last 20 years. Not in the class of M Fitz (who was?!) or possibly Canavan but up there with anyone else of the last two decades IMO.

As for O'Mahony, I lost all respect for him when he encouraged Michael Donnellan to stay down after John Finn hit him a shoulder in the dying minutes of the 2000 AI semi-final. The game was level at the time and Finn got the line. Galway got two or three points in injury time to win it. Mick O'Dwyer mentions it in his book that it stuck in his craw for a long while afterwards.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Logan

I don't know if he's top 5, but he's certainly among the top forwards of the past 20 years, and would have made any county team.

Agree with that much completely (Just not in the top 5 in my book), what impressed me most was his longevity - and this was long before the Golden Days of Micko.

Rossfan

Kevin O'Brien was one of the best alright ..... however that will be meaningless to those who think football started in the early Noughties.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM