6 counties election

Started by Ulick, April 22, 2010, 10:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: delboy on May 07, 2010, 09:51:18 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on May 07, 2010, 09:21:38 AM
Reg Empty's crew have taken some battering especially when the North Down luvvies turn their backs on him, but I suppose it was for a lady!!

The collapse of ulster unionism (or whatever they are calling themselves this week) is bad news for nationalism/republicanism, i can see them being subsumed by the dup in the future which will give unionism a strong unsplit vote in every seat.
SF will have to do likewise to the SDLP or get used to the idea of having only 5 or so MPs.
isnt that the way it has been going in the past 10 years...?
the last election where the dup decimated the oup to me at least showed that the voting is polarising in the north of Ireland (as the sdlp are fast losing all ground to sf) - cant see that changing ..

delboy

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 07, 2010, 09:56:48 AM
Quote from: delboy on May 07, 2010, 09:51:18 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on May 07, 2010, 09:21:38 AM
Reg Empty's crew have taken some battering especially when the North Down luvvies turn their backs on him, but I suppose it was for a lady!!

The collapse of ulster unionism (or whatever they are calling themselves this week) is bad news for nationalism/republicanism, i can see them being subsumed by the dup in the future which will give unionism a strong unsplit vote in every seat.
SF will have to do likewise to the SDLP or get used to the idea of having only 5 or so MPs.
isnt that the way it has been going in the past 10 years...?
the last election where the dup decimated the oup to me at least showed that the voting is polarising in the north of Ireland (as the sdlp are fast losing all ground to sf) - cant see that changing ..

It certainly has but the total collapse of a party (which the UU must be close to) would be a game changer, the SDLP despite having a falling vote over all remain a viable party with their three MPs.

As an alliance voter i think its said that politics in northern ireland are being polarised so much, every win for SF is a win for DUP and vice versa.

Zapatista

Quote from: delboy on May 07, 2010, 10:01:10 AM
As an alliance voter i think its said that politics in northern ireland are being polarised so much, every win for SF is a win for DUP and vice versa.

It's the basis for the existence of the Alliance Party. The trend seems to be that the parties are becoming less polarised even if they are still polarised in name. As long as they can continue to work together there is no problem. Both SF and the DUP have moved more to the centre since the GFA.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: delboy on May 07, 2010, 09:47:07 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 07, 2010, 08:24:20 AM
Quote from: Minder on May 07, 2010, 08:18:40 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 07, 2010, 07:52:25 AM
Imagine the people sitting at home last night in F/ST thinking "I can't be arsed voting, sure it'll not make a difference anyway!"

Good to see The Punt on his way. Maybe some people in this place do have a morality. Although you see Willie McCrea getting in and you wonder the opposite! Awful and all as Ritchie is, delighted Ruane didn't get in after the education debacle.

Was listening to Naomi Long on Radio Ulster (says no) there and had to give it the button when she said "shared future" for the 83rd time.

Was Gildernew 2 ahead or 2 behind after the second recount? Radio Ulster said she was two behind and BBC website said two ahead?
2 ahead.

Long's vote was a loudand clear message to Robinson rather a ringing endorsement of her or her politics. The least worst option.

First count was +6 for connor, that'l' be an interesting one, will probably be end up being sorted in the courts (neither will losing candidate will accept the result is my guess).

I thought Gildernew was +10 from the 1st count and +2 after the second?

Rois

No Gildernew was down after the first count as Arlene Foster rose her fist in the BBC studios and Noel pulled her up on it.  There have been 3 counts - the first, and then the other two as you describe.

Bensars

What time was that at?   i fell asleep after two.

How many recounts are allowed ?

take_yer_points

Quote from: the_daddy on May 07, 2010, 10:59:39 AM
Quote from: Bensars on May 07, 2010, 10:54:52 AM
What time was that at?   i fell asleep after two.

How many recounts are allowed ?

They keep going until one of the candidates accepts the result or the returning officer denies a recount deeming it "unreasonable"

If MG were to come out with higher votes in say 2 further recounts is the returning officer likely do deny another recount based on 4 counts in a row going to one candidate?

mick999

As I said last night, this will come down to the spoiled votes .. 350 of them ....

Expect each and every one of them to be inspected with solicitors from both sides looking on closely...

Minder

I think the fairest resolution would be if they arm wrestled for it, best of three.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

omagh_gael

Sandino

As an avid election fan for almost 40 years this was one of the best. I agree with Boycey on a few of the highs. Top for me was Wee Willie frazier on 600 votes. Willie the people have spoken. Now lets get this F &ST result sorted, any news about the how the count is going this time have they found any votes this time?
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

StGallsGAA

Poor Iris could be in for some trimming tonight!!  :o

Bogball XV

Any chance potential kingmakers SF will take their seats?

Onlooker

Quote from: Bogball XV on May 07, 2010, 12:24:50 PM
Any chance potential kingmakers SF will take their seats?
No chance at all.