The Battle for Fermanagh and South Tyrone

Started by Ulick, April 19, 2010, 10:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Quote from: Gaffer on May 04, 2010, 12:29:08 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on May 04, 2010, 12:26:54 AM
http://www.sinnfein.ie/economy

Yes, the Sinn Fein guys on the doorstep have this of to a tee!!! ::) ::) ::)

I can't imagine they all do, no. However the ones that don't, shouldn't be selected to go on television and talk about it.
Testing Accessibility

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 03, 2010, 10:10:27 PMI recently asked an SDLP member in omagh how the SDLP planned, in this time of recession and on the back of the Quinn crisis etc, to produce the 40,000 jobs the party spoke of and he too had an expression simlar to a man left behind on the moon.
What a coincidence! The same thing happened to you, only with the SDLP, but you've just decided to recall it now! It's like David Cameron and his "I met a man the other day..." anecdotes.

For the record, I'm sure there are people working for all parties who are clueless - in fact I'm sure some of the candidates would meet you with a similar expression.

Ulick

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 04, 2010, 08:11:43 AM
What a coincidence! The same thing happened to you, only with the SDLP, but you've just decided to recall it now! It's like David Cameron and his "I met a man the other day..." anecdotes.

Or Minder and his Shinner with the flash car.

Minder

Quote from: Ulick on May 04, 2010, 08:22:36 AM

Or Minder and his Shinner with the flash car.

I saw it the other day and isn't as flash as I first thought.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

glens abu

During an election campain SF try to visit as many homes as possible and mobilise all party members and others to help.There are many issues raised on the doorstep,economics,abortion,education,health,social welfare,and local issues,if the person at the door is unable to answer any of the questions asked they will get someone with all the relevent information to call back and explain the party policy on these issues. 

Ulick

Quote from: Minder on May 04, 2010, 08:58:59 AM
I saw it the other day and isn't as flash as I first thought.

I know the feeling. Thinking of upgrading mine to a '10.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Speaking of F&ST  ;), I have two neighbours, one of whom is still registered down there, but both are dyed in the wool SDLP supporters. They have both stated their disgust at the SDLP stance with regards gestures made on SB and F&ST and have said that they will both be voting Sinn Fein (albeit only in this election to start with).
Tbc....

Doogie Browser

reddgnhand

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 04, 2010, 10:15:29 AM
Speaking of F&ST  ;), I have two neighbours, one of whom is still registered down there, but both are dyed in the wool SDLP supporters. They have both stated their disgust at the SDLP stance with regards gestures made on SB and F&ST and have said that they will both be voting Sinn Fein (albeit only in this election to start with).

Being from F&ST the feeling here is if this seat is lost to a tory a lot of people will not forget when it comes to the Assembly election (when PR kicks in). McKinney's vote in the Assembly election in my opinion will suffer. 

Nally Stand

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 03, 2010, 10:10:27 PMI recently asked an SDLP member in omagh how the SDLP planned, in this time of recession and on the back of the Quinn crisis etc, to produce the 40,000 jobs the party spoke of and he too had an expression simlar to a man left behind on the moon.

For the record, I'm sure there are people working for all parties who are clueless - in fact I'm sure some of the candidates would meet you with a similar expression.

No, I didn't bring it up because I don't honestly think the economy is something the parties here have a whole lot of influence in anyway and therefor didn't feel the need to raise the issue in a debate about Fermanagh/South Tyrone (besides, we all know the real issue in Fermanagh/South Tyrone is the SDLP's co-operation with the Orange Order).

I raised the issue to this SDLP member (SDLP youth I should probably point out) to ask how in the current climate his party proposed to create FOURTY THOUSAND jobs. If you are incapable of engaging in debate Maguire, at least don't resort to "you're telling lies". So hard to believe I would ask an SDLP member about an election promise during an election campaign?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Maguire01

I never said you were telling lies. I just thought it was a great coincidence.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 04, 2010, 01:31:03 PM
I never said you were telling lies. I just thought it was a great coincidence.

I know, two people asking two parties about the economy during an election campaign. I can see your point.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Ulick

O'Reilly expresses shock at latest Connor revelation

Published: 4 May, 2010

Sinn Féin Councillor Thomas O'Reilly has expressed shock and outrage at further revelations that between his appointment and his resignation as Chief Executive of Fermanagh District Council Rodney Connor is to cost rate payers almost half a million pounds.

Councillor O'Reilly said:

"We are in the middle of a recession. People are struggling to meet their bills and pay their mortgages. It is in this context that hundreds of jobs are being lost in Quinn Insurance in this constituency and many others face losing their jobs all over Ireland. And in the middle of all of this we hear that Rodney Connor is to cost ratepayers in Fermanagh almost half a million pounds between his controversial appointment and the enhanced severance package, which he immediately received upon his resignation as Chief Executive of Fermanagh District Council in March 2010.

"Many constituents have expressed their outrage and disgust to myself and my party colleagues and are asking is it possible that Rodney Connor is using money from the hard pressed ratepayers of Fermanagh to fund his election campaign.

"There is a huge degree of hypocrisy in all of this. Rodney Connor is asking voters to back him and to back the cuts being planned by the Tories. Ordinary people are being asked to tighten their belts and to take wage cuts and Rodney Connor is shedding crocodile tears at the job losses within Quinn Insurance. The Tories are planning to cut unemployment benefit and housing benefit, and reduce working tax credits and child tax credits for families who are struggling to get by. Meanwhile, here we have the Tory candidate in Fermanagh South Tyrone with his wallet stuffed with wads of ratepayers money from his golden handshake seeking to get on the gravy train to Westminster.

"Rodney Connor now has numerous questions to answer. Why did he not declare when he got this generous financial package that he was planning to contest the Westminster election? Does he plan to keep both his pension and his enhanced severance package as well as an MP salary in the unlikely event that he was elected? Does he think it is right that Fermanagh rate payers should face substantial rate hikes to cover the half a million pounds he has cost?"

http://www.fermanaghsouthtyronesf.com/news/16499

Maguire01

Is that the same Cllr O'Reilly who spoke so highly of Mr Connor when he stepped down?

Also Cllr O'Reilly talks about the "unlikely event" of Mr Connor bring elected.... why are SF supporters giving out about the SDLP if his election is so unlikely.