Harte threatens live TV ban !

Started by orangeman, February 16, 2010, 09:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Harte is a whinging bitch but he is correct in this case, you cant have the higher profile teams that are on tv a lot more than their lowly counterparts being retroactively hit with suspensions, it is not fair and the higher profile teams are at a disadvantage and the playing field has to be level for everyone.

That said Harte is a man that has no prob;lem defending the indefensible so I dont have a lot of sympathy for him. Mickey if you are out there, control your thugs and you wont have any problems.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

muppet

Is there any truth in the rumour that Joe O'Reilly is to appeal his conviction using what he calls 'the taking the Mickey Harte Argument'. Apparently he will argue that because Mobile Phone evidence isn't used in all murder trials that therefore it shouldn't have been used in his. In a statement made from prison, via mobile phone, Mr. O'Reilly said 'yea I hope to have my unfair conviction quashed by 'taking the Mickey'.'
MWWSI 2017

Zapatista

Quote from: stew on February 16, 2010, 06:47:16 PM
Harte is a whinging bitch but he is correct in this case, you cant have the higher profile teams that are on tv a lot more than their lowly counterparts being retroactively hit with suspensions, it is not fair and the higher profile teams are at a disadvantage and the playing field has to be level for everyone.

That said Harte is a man that has no prob;lem defending the indefensible so I dont have a lot of sympathy for him. Mickey if you are out there, control your thugs and you wont have any problems.

This thread is all about shooting the messanger.

red hander

'As for inconsistency, this evens out over time. Why doesn't Tyrone put forward a motion for more consistent refereeing?'

I believe we do have consistent refereeing ... it's just that it's consistently bad, as displayed by that clown White in Omagh on Sunday

longrunsthefox

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 16, 2010, 06:24:53 PM
So should Jerry Flannery not get punished for his wild kick in the rugby because some game somewhere else did not have cameras at it? Does the fact that there were no cameras in one match mean we should ignore the blatant evidence. What if a Tyrone player was caught on camera breaking a guys jaw and he had to suck his food through a straw for 3 months, should we ignore that too? If the evidence is there we should use it. Its a pity it is not there for every match but thats not practical.

fair enough but why does Kinnelly get away with it and Miskella and Ciaran Wheelan... if all were treated the same there'd be no complaints.

red hander

Fair play to you for acknowledging the basic truth of what MH is saying ... as far as controlling our 'thugs', when Tyrone people suggested the same after the 1996 semi-final we were told to stop our whingeing and take our beating like men ... the anti-Tyrone vibe on this thread is down to little more than jealousy, which I have no problem with whatsoever ... as long as our lads continue to stand up for themselves I'll be happy

Main Street

Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 16, 2010, 06:52:43 PM

fair enough but why does Kinnelly get away with it and Miskella and Ciaran Wheelan... if all were treated the same there'd be no complaints.

Kinnelly? Wheelan?
Can't you paranoid Nordies spell a name properly?

orangeman

Quote from: red hander on February 16, 2010, 06:57:32 PM

Fair play to you for acknowledging the basic truth of what MH is saying ... as far as controlling our 'thugs', when Tyrone people suggested the same after the 1996 semi-final we were told to stop our whingeing and take our beating like men ... the anti-Tyrone vibe on this thread is down to little more than jealousy, which I have no problem with whatsoever ... as long as our lads continue to stand up for themselves I'll be happy

As I said in another thread, it's all about timing. Sure we live in a different era now and anyways them Meath boys weren't too bad.  ;)

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: armaghniac on February 16, 2010, 06:36:47 PM
This is a bit of hype by Harte. It is never an justification for something to say that someone else got away with it. It is well known which games are on TV and both teams are filmed, so a bit of discipline on the day is all that is needed. Players should be capable of behaving within the rules knowing that the camera is watching.

As for inconsistency, this evens out over time. Why doesn't Tyrone put forward a motion for more consistent refereeing?

The fact is it doesn't. The fact is that 100% of players suspended using video evidence in the league in the last 2 years have been in Tyrone games, with 5 out of 6 players suspended being from Tyrone. Multiple incidents in other games have been ignored and it shows no signs of evening out. Tyrone have been harshly treated compared to other counties.

lawnseed

poor mickey he knows tyrone are on the back foot and he wants someone to blame. well at least he wont have to turn the bbc away ;)

ps im not a newbie i just got sidetracked for a couple of years
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

tyssam5

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 16, 2010, 06:24:53 PM
So should Jerry Flannery not get punished for his wild kick in the rugby because some game somewhere else did not have cameras at it? Does the fact that there were no cameras in one match mean we should ignore the blatant evidence. What if a Tyrone player was caught on camera breaking a guys jaw and he had to suck his food through a straw for 3 months, should we ignore that too? If the evidence is there we should use it. Its a pity it is not there for every match but thats not practical.

So tell me again which 6 nations games are not going to be on TV?

AZOffaly

I don't get this. I realise it's unfair that only some counties get the TV treatment, and the GAA should get copies of the DVDs of all games that are played to review them, but even then a TV company will have multiple cameras whereas the local bucko DVDing the match for the county will have one or two max, so it's still going to be inequitable.

However, does that mean that an incident picked up on camera should *not* be acted upon, simply because someone else might get away with it in a different game?

Surely not. It's the players' responsibility not to be at the shennanigans in the first place. To claim they shouldn't be dealt with, even though half the country might have seen it on TV, because some lad in the Wexford Offaly game isn't under the same scrutiny is a strawman argument.

stew

Quote from: red hander on February 16, 2010, 06:57:32 PM

Every team has it's thugs, I was not suggesting that Tyrone were alone on this, merely that the man who brought this issue to the press should get his henchmen under control, we in Armagh need to do the same.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

orangeman

Could someone clear up something for me with regard to the Tyrone v Dery game please ?

Did the CCCC send Pat Mc Enaney a copy of the DVD and ask him to review the incidents involving the 4 suspended players or did he review the tape himself ?

If the CCCC asked him to review the tape, were there any other incidents that he was asked to look at where Pat decided not to take any further action ??

mylestheslasher

I accept the ccc ,has a case to answer re their failure to act on other televised games but that is a separate issue to what Harte raised here.