Harte threatens live TV ban !

Started by orangeman, February 16, 2010, 09:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

under the bar

Has every player in the past 2 years who has been caught on camera committing an indiscretion similar to those that the Tyrone & Derry players were banned for been hauled before the CCC?  The answer is No.  Not even a small portion of them have. Why not?

Tagdh Kennelley tried to take a mans head off with his shoulder in the AI final an then wrote a book boasting about it sayting he's planned to do it since the night before. Why did the CCC not bother with him?

Ball Hopper

Who "owns" the games anyway when it comes to TV?

Can the County Board refuse permission for cameras?

Does the TV station or the GAA that select what game will be shown, or some committeeeeeee.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Onion Bag on February 16, 2010, 02:39:08 PM
Correct me if wrong but did Derry also not have a player suspended from the same game
we had exactly the same argumnet on here last year and in previous year when players where singled out early in the season to recieve suspensions from the cccc.
we had lads like yourself saying, sure they shouldnt have did what they did its the same for everyone.
we then had countless number of other incidents throughout the year (many of them alot worse than the ones that were punished) go unpunished by the cccc even though they were caught on camera.
it needs to be consistant!!!!!!!!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Onion Bag

I couldnt agree more, it has to be consistant,

but MH talking about banning TV cameras from their games is a bit OTT, so that his players can get away with it off the camera,

Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

supersarsfields

Quote from: Onion Bag on February 16, 2010, 03:09:31 PM

but MH talking about banning TV cameras from their games is a bit OTT, so that his players can get away with it off the camera,

Now your not following the logic there. It was the media that asked him about a media black out. He didn't bring it up, he's seems to be using it as a bit of a sabre rattling excerise. But that doesn't get away from the main point of the whole arguement. Some teams are being punished more than others due to being televised. Now this isn't a major problem, either deal with every game via tv cameras or don't deal with any. Obvioulsy the former is the best option as it'll catch all incidents from all games. But you can't have a half arsed approach to it and pick willy nilly at games otherwise of course it'll bring complaints from the ones most affected by it.

EC Unique

Quote from: supersarsfields on February 16, 2010, 03:18:14 PM

Now your not following the logic there. It was the media that asked him about a media black out. He didn't bring it up, he's seems to be using it as a bit of a sabre rattling excerise. But that doesn't get away from the main point of the whole arguement. Some teams are being punished more than others due to being televised. Now this isn't a major problem, either deal with every game via tv cameras or don't deal with any. Obvioulsy the former is the best option as it'll catch all incidents from all games. But you can't have a half arsed approach to it and pick willy nilly at games otherwise of course it'll bring complaints from the ones most affected by it.

Nail on head.  Some people are completely missing MH's point here but then some people just love a chance to have a dig at him.  ::)

Zapatista

Quote from: EC Unique on February 16, 2010, 03:24:56 PM
Nail on head.  Some people are completely missing MH's point here but then some people just love a chance to have a dig at him.  ::)

To be honest I think the point is too simple for anyone to miss.

Bensars

Irrespective of the motive behind all this and putting the idea of a level playing field aside.

Dont know the specifics but i would have thought the county board would have little or say in the televising of games. I would have thought that would have been done centrally based on the wishes of the Television company, and then featured counties may have recieved some renumeratrion thereafter.

There'll be no media blackout. When has paper ever refused ink !

Lar Naparka

Quote from: supersarsfields on February 16, 2010, 03:18:14 PM

I agree with you.
If Martin Penrose, Conor Gormley and Justin McMahon along with Eoin Bradley were suspended according to GAA procedures, I think there is no room for argument on that point.
However, the manner in which video evidence is being used is another matter and there could be legal issues ahead.
ASFAIK, a TV company makes its own decisions about the games to be televised and the number of cameras etc. to be used. In theory anyway, every single one of Tyrone's games could be televised and those recordings can be used in evidence in every case where it is deemed necessary to look for those recordings.
This might happen in the case of other counties as well but in every case it will be a matter for the TV company in question to decide if a game will be televised and if the recordings will be made available.
What if more than one company decides to televise a particular game?  It's quite likely in such a case that there might well be a conflict of evidence. It's improbable that two cameras would be recording the same scene from the same position at all times. In any case, I'd imagine a TV crew would concentrate on providing best coverage of the overall game and looking for off the ball incidents would be a secondary consideration.
What would happen in the case of someone coming forward with a video recording of his or her own making?  Now that video evidence can be used, what would happen if someone comes up with a video of an incident at a game that was not televised?
If the recording was obviously not tampered with and the evidence it provided was clearcut, would the CCCC be obliged to accept it for consideration?
To put it mildly, Mickey seems to think Gormley and McMahon were unjustly treated.
Does Tyrone or the individual players concerned have any right of appeal?
IMO, there are enough legal grey areas involved to give serious cause for concern.
Talk about an Irish solution to an Irish problem;- Charlie Haughey would be proud of the CCCC!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

red hander

Surely the rules should apply to everyone, not just those teams playing on TV.  It's blatantly unfair, and if people can't see that then they're twisted eejits

mylestheslasher

So should Jerry Flannery not get punished for his wild kick in the rugby because some game somewhere else did not have cameras at it? Does the fact that there were no cameras in one match mean we should ignore the blatant evidence. What if a Tyrone player was caught on camera breaking a guys jaw and he had to suck his food through a straw for 3 months, should we ignore that too? If the evidence is there we should use it. Its a pity it is not there for every match but thats not practical.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: under the bar on February 16, 2010, 02:52:37 PM
Has every player in the past 2 years who has been caught on camera committing an indiscretion similar to those that the Tyrone & Derry players were banned for been hauled before the CCC?  The answer is No.  Not even a small portion of them have. Why not?

Tagdh Kennelley tried to take a mans head off with his shoulder in the AI final an then wrote a book boasting about it sayting he's planned to do it since the night before. Why did the CCC not bother with him?

100% correct. Ban Tadgh. For at least a year.

Complete nonsense from Harte. The only way to stop Tyrone games being on TV is for Tyrone to refuse to fulfill the fixtures. If that's what they want to do then by all means go ahead. Harte uses the media when it suits so he can't expect much sympathy when it doesn't suit his needs.

And yes, by the way, I agree that there is an issue of consistency. The rules need to applied across the board and to all instances of foul play. But if you commit the foul act and get a merited suspension, don't whinge about it.

Is a citing system similar to rugby the answer here or would there be an attitude within the GAA that a team wouldn't be inclined to report players from other teams after the match.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

pintsofguinness

Harte's a sickening dose. 

If players dont want suspended dont be throwing sneaky digs behind the ref's back.  It's very simple.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 16, 2010, 06:24:53 PM
So should Jerry Flannery not get punished for his wild kick in the rugby because some game somewhere else did not have cameras at it? Does the fact that there were no cameras in one match mean we should ignore the blatant evidence. What if a Tyrone player was caught on camera breaking a guys jaw and he had to suck his food through a straw for 3 months, should we ignore that too? If the evidence is there we should use it. Its a pity it is not there for every match but thats not practical.

But there was camera's there when Kennelly used his elbow last year, when Miskella punched McGuigan, when the Monaghan goal keeper took a Kildare player out last year, when in the same game a Monaghan player kicked/knee'd a player on the ground, when Ciaran Whelan threw several digs in recent years. All worse than what Justy McMahon did last week (I cant comment on Gormley or Penrose because didnt see them at game) but yet he got a ban and they didn't. In fact the Kerry player pushing one of the Dublin players into a wall was worse and was ignored on the same weekend.

Ricey got a ban purely based on intent last year but when Galvin went for the ref last week it was ignored. There is no way in the last 2 years of league action that over 80% of offensives caught on camera were by Tyrone players - that stat isn't even funny. They may start being a bit fairer now that Tyrone have kicked up a fuss but we'll no after this week because there was 3 punches thrown in the Kerry Cork game and a Mayo player hit McMenamin - it will be ineresting to see if dealt with. Tyrone have a real point here and any reasonable person who doesn't hate Tyrone knows it.

armaghniac

This is a bit of hype by Harte. It is never an justification for something to say that someone else got away with it. It is well known which games are on TV and both teams are filmed, so a bit of discipline on the day is all that is needed. Players should be capable of behaving within the rules knowing that the camera is watching.

As for inconsistency, this evens out over time. Why doesn't Tyrone put forward a motion for more consistent refereeing?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B