Harte threatens live TV ban !

Started by orangeman, February 16, 2010, 09:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Angry Harte threatens TV boycott

Mickey Harte is raising the stakes in the row over retrospective red cards
Tuesday, 16 February 2010 08:59
Tyrone manager Mickey Harte has revealed that his county may consider banning television cameras from their home National League games, as the row over retrospective red cards intensifies.

Harte yesterday revealed his frustration with the current system which saw three of his players receive bans based on the strength of video replays.

The Tyrone boss claims that such decisions are not being applied across the board because of the lack of television cameras at some grounds, claiming that teams who featured in televised matches are at a disadvantage.

Derry manager Damian Cassidy echoed those complaints after Eoin Bradley was also suspended, but now Harte appears to have upped the stakes.

'It's something we'll have to consider,' Harte said when questioned on the possibility of a TV blackout.

'In fact, our county board have made suggestions that if that's going to be case then we could reserve the right to decide whether our league games are to be televised or not,' he told the Irish Examiner.

'I don't know how many times we've been on (TV) but the bottom line is if our game against Derry had not been televised we would have Martin Penrose, Conor Gormley and Justin McMahon playing against Mayo,' said Harte.

'That's an undisputed fact. We were disadvantaged being on live TV. Two of them weren't red cards. Martin Penrose was a different incident anyway. That's not condoning what any of them did. We just need it to be on a level playing field.'

Bensars

Harte cant have it every way.  He cries and moans and uses the media to try and influence tyrone games being played in croke Park when it suits him.

However when suspensions are handed out ( which by the way , did not only affect tyrone) hes having another bitch.

Although i have the greatest respect for him as a manager/ tactican this running to to press to change everything or complain about something is becoming more than a little bit tedious.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Bensars on February 16, 2010, 10:08:32 AM
Harte cant have it every way.  He cries and moans and uses the media to try and influence tyrone games being played in croke Park when it suits him.

However when suspensions are handed out ( which by the way , did not only affect tyrone) hes having another bitch.

Although i have the greatest respect for him as a manager/ tactican this running to to press to change everything or complain about something is becoming more than a little bit tedious.

Mickeys lost the run of himself a wee bit here, but his point is correct - unless this "trial by media" is implemented across the board in all matches - then its grossly unfair!
That was never a square ball!!

Zapatista

Quote from: Bensars on February 16, 2010, 10:08:32 AM

'It's something we'll have to consider,' Harte said when questioned on the possibility of a TV blackout.

Looks like the media went to Harte on this one.

mylestheslasher

Let me get this right. Tyrone should be exempt to being caught giving dirty digs just because in a match in a lower division with no cameras some players may get away with it. I expect then Micky will also not be using video evidence to clear a player for say, the all Ireland final, cos there were no TV cameras at some backdoor game.

I suggest Mickey and the Tyrone Co board redirect their efforts to either..

- Tell their players to stop giving dirty digs
- Suggest that the GAA invest in cameras for all grounds and review all matches

Mickeys whinging is starting to sicken my hole.

Zapatista

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 16, 2010, 10:14:37 AM
Let me get this right. Tyrone should be exempt to being caught giving dirty digs just because in a match in a lower division with no cameras some players may get away with it. I expect then Micky will also not be using video evidence to clear a player for say, the all Ireland final, cos there were no TV cameras at some backdoor game.

::)You are smart enough to know what he is saying.
He is not saying Tyrone should be exempt (that must be someting you made up?). He is saying there should be a level playing field. You sound bitter more than anything.

BennyHarp

I'll think you'll find your second comment is exactly what mickey wants!

And i'm sure mickey will be majorly concerned about your hole being sickened!!
That was never a square ball!!

down6061689194

W*****

You can rest assured if one of his boys gets a hiding after he removes cameras he'll be all over the CCC's case.

blewuporstuffed

part of the problem is though, that there are games that are televised with incidents in them that dont get punished.
will be interesting to see if kieran donaghy michael shields and young walsh get bans when they review the cork kerry games.
(not that i think they should, but the incidents where as bad as the ones the tyrone lads got the bans for)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

tbrick18

just beat me to it there myles.....fair enough if tv footage it going to be used it should be used consistently. but that doesnt mean you shouldnt get punished for indiscretions that should warrant a red card when caught on camera.
If the evidence is there is should be used.
I have yet to hear mickey harte ever say when one of his players gets suspended or sent off that it was the right decision. Undoubtedly one of the best managers in the game but he seems to think his players never do wrong.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: tbrick18 on February 16, 2010, 10:22:12 AM

just beat me to it there myles.....fair enough if tv footage it going to be used it should be used consistently. but that doesnt mean you shouldnt get punished for indiscretions that should warrant a red card when caught on camera.
If the evidence is there is should be used.
I have yet to hear mickey harte ever say when one of his players gets suspended or sent off that it was the right decision. Undoubtedly one of the best managers in the game but he seems to think his players never do wrong.

for me that is the key part in the argument, but it isnt always being used, even when caught on camera. miskella & kennelly last year spring to mind
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

screenexile

I'm starting to get bored very quickly with Mickey Harte these days he's turning into an awful whinger. We are an amateur Organisation and it's not easy to keep up with everything.

Derry have also been stung by the ban as Bradley would have made a big difference for us against Dublin but I think Cassidy should wind his neck in on this one as well. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. All the incidents these players were banned for were stupid breaches of discipline which had no real effect.

Grow up and take your medicine lads!!!!

full back

Harte is a whinger without doubt & most of the time does my tits in but on this occasion he has a point.

All incidents should be punished.
Clearly this isnt happening at the moment

Goats Do Shave

He's 'doing a Fergie' - did very well to take the attention off his own players poor form & indiscretions!

Tyrone have lost 3 games on the bounce, but no one is talking about their poor form or confidence crisis. All attention is diverted towards the GAA 'ganging up' on Tyrone.

This allows the players minds to focus on sticking together "Everybody hates us attitude" - rather than getting too down beat on their performances.

Onion Bag

I think he should give the "Taliban" a shout, (Get it Tele ban)

seriously though, who does he think he is, he reckons he is above all this and you Tyronies you can support him all you like on this but if it where Jack O Connor, Kieran Mc Geeney or the like yous would be saying the same.

Tyrone are just going to have to improve on their Discipline,and there wont be an issue,

i do get the point that the Bigger teams are on the TV week in week out, this is why they are on the tv, if it was Division 4 matches (No Disrespect to Division 4 teams) on the box, nonone would watch it. everyone wants the see the big guns
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!