Ulster Senior Football Club Championship 2010

Started by drici, January 14, 2010, 11:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

Quote from: ONeill on October 20, 2010, 09:23:52 PM
I can't see Galls slipping up in Ulster despite not playing anywhere near last year's level, yet.

Same - by all accounts Cross arent the force they were, and thats the only challenge I can see. Quite a few novel winners, which means their focus will have been on co championship and not any further.

nrico2006

Quote from: haranguerer on October 21, 2010, 11:19:22 AM
Quote from: ONeill on October 20, 2010, 09:23:52 PM
I can't see Galls slipping up in Ulster despite not playing anywhere near last year's level, yet.

Same - by all accounts Cross arent the force they were, and thats the only challenge I can see. Quite a few novel winners, which means their focus will have been on co championship and not any further.

I think Carrickmore have a good chance of winning the lot.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

sammymaguire

Quote from: Nally Stand on October 21, 2010, 11:06:58 AM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on October 20, 2010, 09:25:09 PM
6/1 for Carrickmore!! That is unbelievable short odds. Sounds more like what they are for the Ulster title.

Oh we'll see about that  ;)

do you think Roslea can give them any kind of a game?
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Wee Roddy

Coalisland may give Rosslea a better game ;)
On paper Clontibret look good and Glenties appear to be a team suited to the Ulster Series.
In fairness i cant see anyone fearing the Tyrone champions

thewanderer

its between galls and cross. clontibret are an average side as seen last year and rely too much on mc manus and burren dont have the experience as for the tyrone winners thats their goal.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: thewanderer on October 21, 2010, 02:23:51 PM
its between galls and cross. clontibret are an average side as seen last year and rely too much on mc manus and burren dont have the experience as for the tyrone winners thats their goal.

Burren are a fair shout I reckon, tradition can overcome experience.  Cross are not really bothered about the Ulster Championship this year.  They are enjoying winning the Armagh title back and if they give St Gall's a decent game they will be happy to lose by a few points only.  St Gall's will be too strong and will win Ulster with a bit to spare this year I reckon, though Clontibret may have a shout for it.

Milltown Row2

Nice try Brokencrossbar1 ;D

I'd say the bookies will have us favourites only because we are the current All Ireland champions

Playing Cross in Crossmaglen is different altogether, Cross beat us handy a couple of years ago and while some of that personal has departed, for me the players that out fought us that day are still there.

Cross will be looking to get their real trophy back and I'd say they didn't dwell too much on celebrating the Armagh championship. It wasn't as if they hadn't won it in 5/6 years!!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Applesisapples

Quote from: drici on October 20, 2010, 06:14:15 PM
07-11-10 (Sunday)
Ulster Intermediate Hurling Championship
Final
St Johns(Antrim) v Carrickmore Éire Óg(Tyrone)
2-30pm   Casement Park
Referee: TBC

(Carrickmore St Colmcilles must now avoid winning the Tyrone Senior Football Championship and following up by drawing After Extra Time with Roslea Shamrocks on October 31st)
I am I the only one thinking these big Antrim teams like St Galls and St John's are taking the pi** dropping to the intermediate.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 21, 2010, 04:08:47 PM
Nice try Brokencrossbar1 ;D

I'd say the bookies will have us favourites only because we are the current All Ireland champions

Playing Cross in Crossmaglen is different altogether, Cross beat us handy a couple of years ago and while some of that personal has departed, for me the players that out fought us that day are still there.

Cross will be looking to get their real trophy back and I'd say they didn't dwell too much on celebrating the Armagh championship. It wasn't as if they hadn't won it in 5/6 years!!!

I'm not saying they won't put a big effort in but they are realistic that the personnel they have are very young.  Apart from Hearty, Francie and Oisin SK is the next oldest at 27.  the team that won on Sunday had 9 players under 23 so they are relatively inexperienced.  This is a year of building for a proper run at it next year I think.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 21, 2010, 04:14:50 PM
Quote from: drici on October 20, 2010, 06:14:15 PM
07-11-10 (Sunday)
Ulster Intermediate Hurling Championship
Final
St Johns(Antrim) v Carrickmore Éire Óg(Tyrone)
2-30pm   Casement Park
Referee: TBC

(Carrickmore St Colmcilles must now avoid winning the Tyrone Senior Football Championship and following up by drawing After Extra Time with Roslea Shamrocks on October 31st)
I am I the only one thinking these big Antrim teams like St Galls and St John's are taking the pi** dropping to the intermediate.

We  (Naomhgall) are currently bottom of div 2 hurling in Antrim, we are hardly a big senior team!!! if we dont win our last game we will be playing in div 3 next year. Should we enter Junior?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

fitzroyalty

On paper St Gall's are favs for the Ulster. Bcb1 is being a right sneak again talking down Cross' chances, being happy enough with the Armagh title, I've heard it all now  :D
St Gall's might lack that wee bit of motivation needed (when have they really been tested competitively this year?) whereas this new crop of Cross players will feel they need to send out a message. They'll not be easy beat at home, only be a point or two in it.

Fancy Burren to upset Coleraine, they have all the tradition which will count for a lot, whereas this is unchartered waters for Coleraine.

I reckon C'island will win Tyrone, and should have too much for Roslea in the Ulster. Neither team will win it.

Naomh Conaill have already got over one hurdle beating Kingscourt, I think they'll be too good for a Clontibret team who have had an average enough year and were lucky enough to win the Monaghan final after a replay by the skin of their teeth.

ONeill

St Gall's could come undone simply through lack of hunger. Got the feeling they sleepwalked through Antrim and now need to regain some of last year's drive. But they're a special outfit and now have the belief that they're the best in the country. If motivated, and I'm sure they will be knowing them, they'll walk out of South Armagh with a 4-5 pt victory. I suppose beating Cross will cement their dominance in Ulster.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: fitzroyalty on October 21, 2010, 04:44:52 PM
Fancy Burren to upset Coleraine, they have all the tradition which will count for a lot, whereas this is unchartered waters for Coleraine.

upset ain't the word.

After the 3-17 to 1-8 hammering we took from Ballinderry in a league semi final at the weekend, I think Burren beating us with something to spare is unfortunately looking like a possibilty.

Ballinderry posters could confirm this, we only had 4 fellas missing (none of them the county lads) - Ballinderry on the other hand didn't have a team gathered up an hour before throw in and landed up 15 minutes before it. And they totally walloped us. Half our team still celebrating and the other half putting the feet up with the county cup in the cabinet, i fear.

Maybe now with the extra week we can get focused but with a few lads going on holiday the week before the game and expectations for the year already outrageously exceeded (think we were 40/1 for Derry at the start of the season) I wouldn't hold my breath.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Maguire01

Quote from: Wee Roddy on October 21, 2010, 01:23:57 PM
On paper Clontibret look good and Glenties appear to be a team suited to the Ulster Series.
What paper is this? They just about got past Magheracloone at the second attempt.

DuffleKing

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 21, 2010, 05:47:20 PM
Quote from: Wee Roddy on October 21, 2010, 01:23:57 PM
What paper is this? They just about got past Magheracloone at the second attempt.

third attempt?