Paul Grimley goes to Monaghan

Started by Carbery, September 02, 2009, 09:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logan

Quote from: AFS on September 11, 2009, 11:43:22 AM
So it seems that Brendan Crossan was full of shit anyway  ::)
I'd say there was some truth to it

Schkite

Quote from: Maguire01 on September 10, 2009, 07:06:27 PM
Quote from: naka on September 10, 2009, 01:53:48 PM
as an aside has paul grimley ever managed a team, and if so how were the reports from players
You could ask some Clontibret boys, if there are any on here.

My playing days are over, but I've heard good reports from the younger lads. He's not the manager though, he has the same position in Clontibret as he will with Monaghan, assistant manager.

Aoise

Quote from: DuffleKing on September 11, 2009, 11:40:10 AM

I wasn't aware of any "statements" by any of the people you mention unitl Grimley's a couple of weeks ago clarifying his posiiton.

Did i miss morgan's copius paper articles? or kernan's on the matter? or grimley's horsetrading to get the job? no. what you read on the internet is not real life. it's people's opinions and rumour.

the latest piece of crap from this aoise character is to claim that grimley was waiting on some sort of financial bribe to manage his own county and implying that the money didn't stack up so hi pissed off ofr a better deal. he couldn't work with nor reach agreement with the county board. end of. if he chooses to remain in the game coaching after that then that's his business.
of course there are plenty of people who will do all of the jobs you list. personally, i want the best and most capable possible person for each of the roles you list.

I'm not suggesting that Paul Grimley would be financially bribed to manage his own county I don't now the facts regarding that and I personnally believe that there is much more to it than that.  Can I also point out that I would not attempt to take the character of any man away without knowing the facts.  My main points regarding the whole scenario is that we need to analyse how we got into this mess to ensure it never happens again.  I understand you are taking offense to me criticising certain people, however I will point out to you that if these people are taking up public positions within Armagh football and a mess like this is created in the very public manner that it has then I think we are all entitled to have an opinion and I won't apologise for that, I have been involved with Armagh football for too long to believe that anyone is above repute.

Secondly, when monetary compensation becomes involved then politics gets very nasty indeed. And that goes for every realm of society.  Armagh men are now spread all over the country managing other teams, I also will not apologise for feeling slightly embarrassed by that as I preferred the GAA when actions were carried out for pride of place and parish.  It very much depends on ones own ideological stance on what the GAA stands for, you obviously have a different one than me and I respect that but please don't be so derogatory about mine as respect is a two way street.

Aoise

These men still love the game and they still love their parish as you put it, the thing is that they realise that they should be compensated in some way for their time, why should some faceless paper pusher at HQ get paid when managers put their hearts and soul into leading their counties, working four or five nights a week without some sort of compensation. I have no problem with any of these men getting expenses at all at all because by your way of looking at it, they should actually lose money if like you seem to want to do, pay them nothing.

Sorry Stew you've picked me up wrong.  I don't believe anyone should be out of pocket for anything related to the GAA, of course they should be reimbursed.  I will also say that a manager should be provided with enough funds from his county board to be capable of running a team in as professional a manner as he can.  My point would be that over the past couple of years, Gaelic football has turned from being somewhere where your place was with your own county and club, to a soccer identical market where counties are now using monetary bribes to ensure successful managers go to them.  At the minute this horrible situation has put Armagh football in diffs, and thats what I'm concerned about! 

I'm looking forward to watching our minor lads take to the field next week in an All-Ireland final, no mean feat, but look at what has happened! these young lads have been overshadowed by polictics and economic markets within the very same sport and county that their going out to bust their balls for.  Our focus should be them and the safe transition of them into senior county football.  Hypothetically, How cynical will these lads be to learn that the only reason a future county senior manager is with them is because the money was right, is to be honest so dissappointing to me and it needs sorted now!  I'm not niaive enough to believe that no money would exchange hands but I also cannot help feeling that we are somehow losing what made us such a great organisation in the first place.

DuffleKing

Quote from: Aoise on September 12, 2009, 05:59:12 AM
I'm not suggesting that Paul Grimley would be financially bribed to manage his own county I don't now the facts regarding that and I personnally believe that there is much more to it than that.  Can I also point out that I would not attempt to take the character of any man away without knowing the facts.  My main points regarding the whole scenario is that we need to analyse how we got into this mess to ensure it never happens again.  I understand you are taking offense to me criticising certain people, however I will point out to you that if these people are taking up public positions within Armagh football and a mess like this is created in the very public manner that it has then I think we are all entitled to have an opinion and I won't apologise for that, I have been involved with Armagh football for too long to believe that anyone is above repute.

Those are all fine generalities that we can all agree on. however, it's difficult to take you seriously when you consistently come up with shite like:

Quote from: Aoise on September 11, 2009, 01:58:54 AM
I personally feel sick to the stomach that someone should have to be bribed with money to accept the opportunity to manage ones own county.

The question we have toask is what are the conditions in which this mess has been created and who are the controllers who are charged with managing the situation?

Quote from: Aoise on September 12, 2009, 05:59:12 AM
Secondly, when monetary compensation becomes involved then politics gets very nasty indeed. And that goes for every realm of society.  Armagh men are now spread all over the country managing other teams, I also will not apologise for feeling slightly embarrassed by that as I preferred the GAA when actions were carried out for pride of place and parish.  It very much depends on ones own ideological stance on what the GAA stands for, you obviously have a different one than me and I respect that but please don't be so derogatory about mine as respect is a two way street.

Don't assume to know my ideological stance on anything. Particularly., don't assume to have some higher moral code than me.

That armagh men are spread all over the country brings me two emotions. first, pride that we have produced coaches of that calibre who are sought after in every corner. but secondly, anger that we don't have the capacity to harness these guys for our own benefit. why are we so backward as to have allowed individuals with no expertise dictate the coaching policy and structures in the county? why have personal agendas been the driver for coaching appointments and why is there not an experienced and qualified person in place to handle of these things? If we had a proper coaching structure we'd now haVE Kieran McGeeney managing armagh, assisted by paul grimley and oisin McConville. We'd have our best young coaches assisting the development and minor squads in some sort of coaching development team run by dennis hollywood and paul kelly that would consist of justin mcnulty, aidan o'rourke, diarmaid marsden, enda mcnulty, barry o'hagan, etc.

that none of this is in place is the fault of the county board. what research or expertise has gone into the coaching structures in our county? dod we just do whatever tyrone, etc are doing? why are the best people not involved? why are there frequently stories that would scare rats coming from the development squads?

Why has there never been an investigation into the goings on that placed us on the road to this mess two years ago? don't forget that contrived shafting cost us a coaching ticket of Grimley, McGeeney and McCartan. swept under the carpet.
Why has there never been an investigation into the obvious public undermining and abandonment of Peter McDonnell? swept under the carpet.
Will there be an investigation into the current chaos and just what the hell is going on? course not.

This county board has now presided over - and enabled - three of the biggest public embarrassments this county has ever endured - not to mention each costing us fantastic people probably for life - and what will be done or who will be held to account?
nothing and noone.

Armagh need a root and branch genisis report and quick.

The GAA

ardmhachaabu

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Logan

I know very well if a Genesis Report was published it would be a white wash too - just last the IRFU one!

Armagh need a professional outsider who has no ties to the place to come in and advise them.

thebandit

Quote from: Logan on September 12, 2009, 04:31:17 PM
I know very well if a Genesis Report was published it would be a white wash too - just last the IRFU one!

Armagh need a professional outsider who has no ties to the place to come in and advise them.

There was group in 96/97 who were brought together to advise on a vision going forward for Armagh football in the medium term. These were people who had no connections to County Board etc coming from an external point of view. That process was certainly of benefit at the time.

oraiste

Is he just a number two (and a good One) and the confidence to go one step further?