Paul Grimley goes to Monaghan

Started by Carbery, September 02, 2009, 09:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carbery

Grimley in surprise Monaghan move
Paul Grimley has been named as the new assistant manager with Monaghan after turning down the chance of becoming boss of his native Armagh.
Grimley was the favourite to succeed Peter McDonnell in the Orchard post after quitting as assistant to Kieran McGeeney at Kildare.
His surprise appointment came just hours after Seamus McEnaney decided to remain as Farney manager.
McEnaney considered quitting after the All-Ireland qualifier defeat by Derry.
He informed the county board of his decision to take charge for a sixth consecutive year on Tuesday evening.
Marty McElkennon, who had been strongly linked with a move to Derry, is staying on as team trainer.
Grimley was Armagh assistant boss during Joe Kernan's reign and he was pipped for the top job by McDonnell in 2007.
The Pearse Og man is currently coaching Monaghan side Clontibret and has guided them to the county club semi-finals.

BBC Sport

rootthemout

gutted,thought he was coming back to armagh for sure,obviously still has difficulties with cty board,monaghans gain :-\

Logan

Why would anyone move from Assistant Manager with Kildare to Assistant Manager with Monaghan?

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Logan on September 02, 2009, 09:42:14 AM
Why would anyone move from Assistant Manager with Kildare to Assistant Manager with Monaghan?
Because he seems determined to embarrass the Armagh Co Board as much as possible. 

Logan

Quote from: Doogie Browser on September 02, 2009, 09:45:03 AM
Quote from: Logan on September 02, 2009, 09:42:14 AM
Because he seems determined to embarrass the Armagh Co Board as much as possible.
I'd say he's pissed of a lot of Armagh people instead

Bensars

1. Mileage
2. Realisation that Mc geeney is NO.1 at Kildare for the long haul
3. Mc Enaney taking charge for probably a final year
4. Realisation that with armagh you cant make a silk purse out a sows ear !

mackers

Holy fcuk!! Didn't see that one coming! Very disappointed, as Logan has said why go for assistant manager in Monaghan with the Armagh job up for grabs, fully understand his reasons for not wanting to go through the interview process but I thought he would've given the selection committee a chance to weigh up their options before taking another job. He obviously doesn't trust the county board but with Paul McGrane and Gerard Davidson involved he could've bided his time.

Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Logan

Quote from: Bensars on September 02, 2009, 09:47:33 AM
1. Mileage
Monaghan CB must have agreed a secret deal for Grimley to take over after the Banty leaves

1. Mileage? - I find it hard to imagine that Kildare couldn't pay him more! Monaghan can hardly pay two men?
2. Agreed - still comfy situation to be in
3. That would be one reason to stay away unless he's taking over after
4. U21's and Minors? Least plausible reason

The only proper reason would be £££ or a promise of inheriting the county team

qz

Perhaps he see more potential with Monaghan than Armagh - the orchard county may be in for a long stint in the also ran league.

Logan

Quote from: mackers on September 02, 2009, 09:50:30 AM
Holy fcuk!! Didn't see that one coming! Very disappointed, as Logan has said why go for assistant manager in Monaghan with the Armagh job up for grabs, fully understand his reasons for not wanting to go through the interview process but I thought he would've given the selection committee a chance to weigh up their options before taking another job. He obviously doesn't trust the county board but with Paul McGrane and Gerard Davidson involved he could've bided his time.
;D ;D
I don't care who you are but I don't think you can be too big headed not to go for an interview!

Some exodus from Armagh now!
Galway, Monaghan, Kildare .... wow!

Seany

Tell me this folks.

Is Grimley totally beyond criticism?
What makes him entitled to get the Armagh job now, the last time or ever?
Apparently the last time he did a totally useless interview.  He changed his backroom team twice during the interview process and actually hadn't even informed his supposed backroom staff that he had picked them.  He was dire.  And at that time, what was his managerial experience?  No 2 in Armagh whom he left and then went to Cavan for a disastrous spell. 
His 2 years with Kildare have not yielded anything really - a defeat to Wicklow last year, an easy run to the Leinster final this year where they were beaten by a rubbish Dublin side and then losing to Tyrone who were then beaten well. 

And why shouldn't he go for interview like all the other candidates?  WHat's different about him that others who are interested, like Justy McNulty should be told - No thanks, we just went for Big Paul. 

ANd now, after all the tiptoeing round him, the County Board electing Gerard Davidson as their rep who is his friend and the 5 man selection committee being given the power to approach him if they want, he goes off and takes Monaghan.

Let's be honest here folks.  Love of the Armagh jersey is far down some people's lists of priorities.  It's all about MONEY!!!

Logan

Quote from: Seany on September 02, 2009, 09:57:56 AM
Tell me this folks.

Is Grimley totally beyond criticism?
What makes him entitled to get the Armagh job now, the last time or ever?
Apparently the last time he did a totally useless interview.  He changed his backroom team twice during the interview process and actually hadn't even informed his supposed backroom staff that he had picked them. He was dire.  And at that time, what was his managerial experience?  No 2 in Armagh whom he left and then went to Cavan for a disastrous spell. 
His 2 years with Kildare have not yielded anything really - a defeat to Wicklow last year, an easy run to the Leinster final this year where they were beaten by a rubbish Dublin side and then losing to Tyrone who were then beaten well. 

And why shouldn't he go for interview like all the other candidates?  WHat's different about him that others who are interested, like Justy McNulty should be told - No thanks, we just went for Big Paul. 

ANd now, after all the tiptoeing round him, the County Board electing Gerard Davidson as their rep who is his friend and the 5 man selection committee being given the power to approach him if they want, he goes off and takes Monaghan.

Let's be honest here folks.  Love of the Armagh jersey is far down some people's lists of priorities.  It's all about MONEY!!!
Was that this year or last?
Who were on his two backroom teams?

Seany

This was when McDonnell got the job.  Two years ago.

I don't have anything against Grimley and by all accounts he is a decent lad, but I was always suspicious of whether or not he'd take it because of the lack of big bucks connected with the job.

And now the interview process must begin.  And candidates will go to interview in the knowledge that the number one choice has turned them down.

He should never get the Armagh job now.

Logan

Who was supposedly on his backroom team then this time?
I'd heard names - but must have been badly wrong!

Who are the other candidates?

Got to hand it to the Banty - I guess it's ...  Monaghan 1 Armagh 0

INDIANA

Quote from: Logan on September 02, 2009, 09:53:59 AM
Quote from: Bensars on September 02, 2009, 09:47:33 AM
1. Mileage
Monaghan CB must have agreed a secret deal for Grimley to take over after the Banty leaves

1. Mileage? - I find it hard to imagine that Kildare couldn't pay him more! Monaghan can hardly pay two men?
2. Agreed - still comfy situation to be in
3. That would be one reason to stay away unless he's taking over after
4. U21's and Minors? Least plausible reason

The only proper reason would be £££ or a promise of inheriting the county team

Why though- Monaghan have very little coming through and largely rely on the current team which won't be there forever. Must be some deal, because thats a baffling move from a coaching perspective. Still thats a great coup for Monaghan but from his perspective thats a strange one.
Armagh have a lot of good players around the 18-21 mark and still some good ones in the mid to late-20's. Just badly organised thats all.