Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thehurler

nag sounds like you resent the fact that loughgiel won an all-ireland !
Currently they are top of the league having beaten the' dall twice and dunloy by 6 points(could and should have been 16 only they took their foot off the pedal in that game , also they had to deal with outrageous chopping and late tackles from the dunloy defence , which referees in championship will hopefully pick up on - maybe with video evidence) .
loughgiel have finally got it together and have a great spirit and organisation about them this year and to hell with the begrudgers - 2010 is the year of the shamrock - the spirit of '83 is well and trully living on ( with a bit of help from the man that created the spirit of '89).

theskull1

Quote from: thehurler on June 22, 2010, 10:13:25 AM
loughgiel have finally got it together and have a great spirit and organisation about them this year and to hell with the begrudgers - 2010 is the year of the shamrock - the spirit of '83 is well and trully living on ( with a bit of help from the man that created the spirit of '89).

Who?.....Cloot?  ;)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on June 22, 2010, 10:16:09 AM

Who?.....Cloot?  ;)

How did that ever work? An Armoy man transferring to Loughgiel just for the year? Did he play league for them that year as well?

I remember the Loughgiel/Armoy amalgamation beating Portaferry in Portaferry, the very last time an Ulster club final was played outside of Antrim, oh those were the day!!!

NAG1

Think maybe they are drinking the spirit up there in that neck of the woods!  ;)

Im not getting into a an arguement with a WUM but the fact is there for all to see that its been the year of the Shamrock every year since god knows when.

Cushendall have plenty of men away with the county set up and arent getting a settled team at present, Dunloy are probably still getting into the swing of things off the back of a long winter. There is also a long list of injuries there from what I hear.

Remember leagues are for playing in and championships are for winning!
Plus there are no medals handed out in May/June  :D

pdiddy

Quote from: johnneycool on June 22, 2010, 10:20:29 AM

Who?.....Cloot?  ;)

How did that ever work? An Armoy man transferring to Loughgiel just for the year? Did he play league for them that year as well?

I remember the Loughgiel/Armoy amalgamation beating Portaferry in Portaferry, the very last time an Ulster club final was played outside of Antrim, oh those were the day!!!

I think 'thehurler' is referring to Jim Nelson when he talks about the spirit of '89.  I wouldn't take this guy too seriously.  He's either a WUM or living on his own little planet.  Yes, the shamrocks are going ok but not any better than Dunloy, Cushendall or even to a lesser extent Ballycastle.  The championship is up for grabs but whose going to grab it !!
When a team loses, there's always a row at half time, but when they win, its an inspirational speech

NAG1

Na he just took his 15 championship medals and went home  :o

theskull1

At a guess, I would say that due to the fact  that at the time when Antrim were going rightly at IC level, he was put under continued pressure from all sides to get something from his talent at club level as well as improve his game for Antrim (i.e by playing with a senior club). The county board must have turned a blind eye to the transfer because it possibly suited their aims as well as LG's

The fact he transferred back the following year tells everybody that he in his own mind, knew he'd made the wrong decision. The man didn't need championship medals for everybody to know he was a wizard. Shame he's not involved in the game anymore
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

The shame is that he seemed to take pride in the fact that he wasnt involved in the game any more, going by a recent interview.

thehurler

nag no one can deny the quality of  cloot , but again you begrudge , he has a young family and wants to spend time with them . many another selfish man gives his time to the game and nothing to his family ! so leave cloot alone - the guy is a legend and forever in our hearts will be his performances in '89 . here's to cloot !

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on June 21, 2010, 11:35:54 PM
I like yourself have great respect for all those clubs listed so liking/disliking has got sweet FA to do with it. We obviously have a different idea of what great means thats all

They are a great club IMO. But they have in the recent past only been a good team IMO. Hardly a controversial view

i'm not arguing about the today's standard regarding LG. was only in the recent past at Casement one night they beat a great Dunloy team!!

Championship is a while away yet. they will dick us by a big score, of that i'm sure.

who they meet after that i don't know.  strange how a WUM comes on and we have a lot of posts ::) ::)

just noticed we have a fixture against Gorts on wed night. with 4 players on Football duty and 2 on Hurling duty i think you can safely say thats two points for Gorts!!

CCC, ya gotta hand it to them
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gelvis

Quote from: pdiddy on June 22, 2010, 01:30:32 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on June 22, 2010, 10:20:29 AM

Who?.....Cloot?  ;)

I think 'thehurler' is referring to Jim Nelson when he talks about the spirit of '89.  I wouldn't take this guy too seriously.  He's either a WUM or living on his own little planet.  Yes, the shamrocks are going ok but not any better than Dunloy, Cushendall or even to a lesser extent Ballycastle.  The championship is up for grabs but whose going to grab it !!

I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been a big fall out among the squad/management yet with the number they have in charge...too many cooks and all that.
"If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on"

Fairhead

Quote from: theskull1 on June 22, 2010, 02:45:40 PM
At a guess, I would say that due to the fact  that at the time when Antrim were going rightly at IC level, he was put under continued pressure from all sides to get something from his talent at club level as well as improve his game for Antrim (i.e by playing with a senior club). The county board must have turned a blind eye to the transfer because it possibly suited their aims as well as LG's

The fact he transferred back the following year tells everybody that he in his own mind, knew he'd made the wrong decision. The man didn't need championship medals for everybody to know he was a wizard. Shame he's not involved in the game anymore

Id say slow corner back would be able to fill us in on some of the detail as to why Cloot's transfer happened in '89. Apart from playing with some of that Loughgiel team on the county at the time he probably played with a few more of them at minor as he had one year with the Loughgiel minors. Don't remember any great controversy about it so must have been quite amicable between the concerned parties.

NAG1

Quote from: thehurler on June 22, 2010, 06:07:33 PM
nag no one can deny the quality of  cloot , but again you begrudge , he has a young family and wants to spend time with them . many another selfish man gives his time to the game and nothing to his family ! so leave cloot alone - the guy is a legend and forever in our hearts will be his performances in '89 . here's to cloot !

Did you ever hear me begrudge him, great player end of!

Plenty of other people have young families and manage to give a bit of time to the GAA, my comment was more of a regret that one of our best corner forwards ever is not able to share his undoubted knowledge and skill with the next generation.

More of a sadness than begrudgery.

Minder

He took the Antrim minors for a year in the mid 90's, 1996 I think.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

thehurler

Quote from: NAG1 on June 22, 2010, 04:13:00 PM
The shame is that he seemed to take pride in the fact that he wasnt involved in the game any more, going by a recent interview.

N A G translate and expand on the above quote the fact you say " he seemed to take pride in etc.." would indicate that you are really be a begrudger and a sinister one at that and now you seem to try and back track i have come across many like you over the years and really that damning with feint praise is quite pathetic and not very wholesome. You really need to take a closer look at what you say my dear friend , end of.