Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

What you talking about Onthehill?

Yes the boys played well, but its same old story couldnt close it out when it mattered. 5 up with 5 to go?

We all knew that Dinny is all about the championship and we also knew that Offaly are no where near the power they were a few years back so this was always a more realistic chance of getting a result. More so than the Dublin match last year IMO.

johnneycool

Quote from: Onthehill on June 01, 2010, 10:14:57 AM
Where's all the critics now......that performance put all the experts in their boxes.

I think that a county of Antrims stature and playing resources should start to move on from the days of glorious defeat against a team like Offaly and not be content until you are beating them on a regular basis. One good performance a summer which ultimately ended in defeat needs to be followed up by a another good performance and victory in the qualifiers for Antrim hurling to move on. Its a young enough team and all the 'well done' claps on the back this week may be counter productive in the longer term.

theskull1

Quote from: johnneycool on June 01, 2010, 12:17:05 PM
Where's all the critics now......that performance put all the experts in their boxes.

I think that a county of Antrims stature and playing resources should start to move on from the days of glorious defeat against a team like Offaly and not be content until you are beating them on a regular basis. One good performance a summer which ultimately ended in defeat needs to be followed up by a another good performance and victory in the qualifiers for Antrim hurling to move on. Its a young enough team and all the 'well done' claps on the back this week may be counter productive in the longer term.

Onthehill
Not that I believe I'm one of the critics you're referring to but, in reference to johnny's comments would you give us your own assessment of where Antrim are now as a result of Sundays defeat? Would you not agree that the great display given on Sunday needs to be shown to be repeatable or improved upon before it is a correct judgement to say that we really have moved on?

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Onthehill

Quote from: theskull1 on June 01, 2010, 12:31:22 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on June 01, 2010, 12:17:05 PM

Onthehill
Not that I believe I'm one of the critics you're referring to but, in reference to johnny's comments would you give us your own assessment of where Antrim are now as a result of Sundays defeat? Would you not agree that the great display given on Sunday needs to be shown to be repeatable or improved upon before it is a correct judgement to say that we really have moved on?

Yes lads I agree with you 100%. They need to be playing at this level all the time. Although we lost the game, I now can catergorically say to all the people that doubted, we're there or there abouts.  What I was getting at was that prior to the game and I suppose during the league there was critisism from every angle about performances of players and generally the 'state' of the senior team was IMO wrong. There was also criticism of Dinny and the management which was totally personal.

I have just read Karl McKeegans interview in the Irish news today and he talks about the level this management are capable of bringing them to.  He says the feel alot better as a team and the hurling is at a speed it should be.

Here's hoping we can get a favourable draw in the qualifiers - Loais or Wexford would be a good draw. I know we could take them.

NAG1

Criticism of the league was well merited. We were not competing at any level during the league, the point being that Antrim dont get many matches during a calendar year and we should be making the most of every opportunity.

I am not being critical and I applaud the endevaour that went in on Sunday and all the preparation in the lead up to it, but at the same time IMO we were playing a suspect Offaly side in a ground that suited Antrim. Now the talent is around in Antrim and Dinny is a good coach but we need to be pushing on and making this a regualr occurance rather than a flash in the pan.

Onthehill

Quote from: NAG1 on June 01, 2010, 03:44:37 PM
Criticism of the league was well merited. We were not competing at any level during the league, the point being that Antrim don't get many matches during a calendar year and we should be making the most of every opportunity.

I am not being critical and I applaud the endeavour that went in on Sunday and all the preparation in the lead up to it, but at the same time IMO we were playing a suspect Offaly side in a ground that suited Antrim. Now the talent is around in Antrim and Dinny is a good coach but we need to be pushing on and making this a regular occurrence rather than a flash in the pan.

Agreed. This is good constructive criticism. This is what we should be doing rather than having a go all the time. I would like them to be actively going for the league next year. Put more of a focus on it. It should be remembered that Sunday was the first game we had our best fifteen together and out on the park(which could be debated).  We missed three games in the league by a point. If we would have won these we would have been in a league final.  That full team would have beaten Westmeath, Clare and Down on them days.

Milltown Row2

Onthehill, we are constructive, not everyone will agree with some of the things said here, that doesn't mean we are having a go all the time.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Joxer_man

Unlucky against offaly but i think dinny knows now who his real big game players are, (mcmanus, mcnaughton etc.)

johnneycool

Antrim Div 1 Hurling
Team 1   
Glenariffe    Dunloy            Glenariffe           06/06/2010   13:00   Liam McAuley           Round 6   
Ballygalget    Cushendall    Ballygalget   06/06/2010   15:00   Francis Traynor   Round 6   
Portaferry    Loughgiel    Portaferry   06/06/2010   15:00   Declan Magee   Round 6   
Ballycastle    Ballycran            Ballycastle   06/06/2010   19:30   TBC    Round 6   

What's the odds on 4 away wins this weekend although we'd hope to give the Dall a run especially if they've a load of U-21's playing the previous evening?

We'd be hoping that the Cran's do us a favour and take the points of Ballycastle as theyr'e our main relegation threats.

Two Hands FFS

From county website ;U21 Hurling Championship

Due to a death in the Cushendall club tonights u21 Hurling semi final between Ballycastle and Cushendall has been posponed

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on June 04, 2010, 03:02:22 PM
Antrim Div 1 Hurling
Team 1   
Glenariffe    Dunloy            Glenariffe           06/06/2010   13:00   Liam McAuley           Round 6   
Ballygalget    Cushendall    Ballygalget   06/06/2010   15:00   Francis Traynor   Round 6   
Portaferry    Loughgiel    Portaferry   06/06/2010   15:00   Declan Magee   Round 6   
Ballycastle    Ballycran            Ballycastle   06/06/2010   19:30   TBC    Round 6   

What's the odds on 4 away wins this weekend although we'd hope to give the Dall a run especially if they've a load of U-21's playing the previous evening?

We'd be hoping that the Cran's do us a favour and take the points of Ballycastle as theyr'e our main relegation threats.

Johnny stop worrying, should Ballycastle face the drop there will be a change to the league ::) ::)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Beat by St Endas today, great first half then descended into a slabbering match towards the referee!!!! kids now days seem to be more into shouting at the referee than wanting the ball!!!

seniors failed the field against Tir na og :-[

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 06, 2010, 08:14:40 PM
Beat by St Endas today, great first half then descended into a slabbering match towards the referee!!!! kids now days seem to be more into shouting at the referee than wanting the ball!!!

seniors failed the field against Tir na og :-[
any reason?? Sad to hear

Milltown Row2

just lack of players available today . didn't know till i turned up for the seconds.

We'll be fine for championship and we'll give loughgiel a rattle

imtommygunn

Laois / Carlow in the hurling.

As good as could be hoped for. Both those teams have come on a lot so won't be easy either.