Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the colonel

Antrim team for Sunday

Seems strange to move Neil inside when he had been going well at Centre Forward in the league. Karl at corner forward seems strange but the rest of the team is as good as available. Prob see Watson at half time or before

Thomas McCann is the only debutant in the Antrim team for Sunday's Ulster SHC quarter-final against Offaly at Parnell Park.

McCann, who plays for Creggan in Division 4B of the Antrim league, has been named at centre forward on a team that shows seven changes from that which lost to the Faithful County in last year's meaningless All-Ireland SHC relegation playoff at the same venue.

The other changes from that side are goalkeeper Gareth McGhee, wing back Neal McAuley, captain and midfielder Paul Shiels, wing forward Eddie McCloskey and full forward Neil McManus.

Antrim manager Dinny Cahill is hoping to be able to call on the services of Liam Watson at the weekend, despite reports that he was axed from the squad last week. The Tipperary native insists that Offaly hold a vital edge in terms of experience.

"This (Antrim) team is a complete new team, sure there are a lot of young players there, and it'll be a great experience for them on Sunday," he said.

"I can't comment on Offaly because I didn't see them in the Leinster championship last year, I didn't see them playing any league games this year. All I can say about Offaly is of the older players who have been there over the years, like the Hanniffys."

Antrim (SH v Offaly): G McGhee; K McGourty, C Donnelly, A Graffin; N McAuley, J Campbell, C Herron; P Shiels, K Stewart; E McCloskey, T McCann, J Scullion; S McNaughton, N McManus, K McKeegan
the difference between success and failure is energy

maxpower

about the strongest team available without winker, will be interesting to see how T McCann gets on, fair play to him, its a long way from Division 4B to the Leinster Senior Hurling Championship.

Can't see Karl staying aat 15, surely the intention must be to rove out the field, even play behind the midfield to allow two very attacking midfielders get forward.  Would also open up a very dangerous 2 man full forward line, pace and power.

And 7 clubs represented - not a bad spread
What happens next????

funtime frankie

the colonel

Wasn't expecting Karl to play there either

Thomas McCann is from Creggan, think he's only 20 or so.

If they fire ball into Neil, he will compete in the air, with Shane to use his pace to get the breaks ;)

theskull1

I don't think thats a bad side on paper although I don't think shorty is ready for midfield myself after coming back from a years lay off. His touch is still good but he hasn't yet got the speed endurance to do the right work in this area of the pitch at the minute (think he went back to intercounty a year too soon). Should be inside where he can still do damage and Karl brought out IMO. Haven't seen Thomas McCann hurl at senior level yet but I wish him all the best. I did see him a few times when he was under 16 and a nicer more committed athlete you would never meet. He was every bit a hurler back then so I expect him to be up to the task
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

the colonel

Seen him against Carlow, he caught a few good balls, good hand on him, but wasn't that effective from there. Hopefully a couple more months trainingwith better players will have brought him on

Milltown Row2

will the Offaly players who are missing the match (due to injury) give us some hope?

young Dooley will punish any frees from 65 in. They are also in transition but still managed to keep Tipp to a one point loss.

i doubt Karl will play at fullforward, this is a defensive move that may work out for us. but there has to be good quality ball going in otherwise they will have time to pick out players and set up their own attack.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Last Man

Thomas is undoubtedly good in the air and I fully expect him to get a decent amount of possession under a dropping ball, hope he does well. Good to see a player from the "little leagues" have the ambition to give it a rattle at the top level.

oisinog

Has Karl not been playing for the dall at corner forward this year

johnneycool

I've always thought Antrim need to be more direct in their hurling against the better teams, i.e cut out the solo running from the half backs, midfield etc and let the ball into the forwards earlier and not just aimless high balls.

There'll be plenty of running to be done without the ball so save yourself for that.

Last Man

As DJ used to say, "Any fecin ball is a good ball, just get it in here" ;)

gelvis

Half Time Antrim 3.09 Offaly 1.12

Two late goals by Colm McFall and Karl McKeegan
"If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on"

gelvis

10 mins to go, Antrim 3.14 Offaly 1.18

Offaly piling on pressure and had a goal disallowed.  Offaly also had a man sent off

gelvis

Full Time Antrim 3.15 Offaly 1.21 (Extra Time to be played)

Shane Dooley free in the last second of injury time to level it

Onthehill

Where's all the critics now......that performance put all the experts in their boxes.