Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vlad The Impaler

What makes us think that we are any better than a 16 point defeat to Kilkenny? These heavy defeats are nothing new, but it does not help when we have players, Sean Delargy & Karl Mc Keegan to name 2 spouting about winning an All Ireland within 3-4 years. At some stage you have to back these claims up.....

Syd The Sailor

Quote from: theskull1 on March 26, 2007, 10:36:48 AM
Did anyone else think that McManus was a dirty wee hoor yesterday and full deserved the dunt that he got in the second half? He was early on almost every dropping ball. Alot to learn if he thought he could rough up an experienced KK side at senior level and not expect the same medicine for his actions.

Totally agree, he has to realise he is not playing minor anymore. He was swinging back the whole time and Tennyson gave him his medicine back. If he keeps that up he will get a hammering some day.
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

NAG

Thought the Antrim were a disgrace yesterday.
Im all for giving the young boys a chance but they are not phyiscally up to it, young shields showed that.

McManus thinks he is a big lad but he will get settled before long if he keeps that attitude up.

Sambo and woody got the tatics completely wrong questions need answering!

milltown row

Was not at the game yesterday so I can't comment  (was playing for our thirds in football!!! (tut tut tut I hear you say) but the result was never in any doubt, great weather new pitch and Kilkenny searching for points and a high scoring return needed.
To improve Antrim we need 40 players of the same standard busting a gut to get on the Antrim panel but with the drop in standards at club games and the counties insistence of playing a two way league for football (of which all games are played with no hassle and we are still ranked 31) and giving the senior hurlers 12 games for the year, will and has had a knock on effect on the county team. If club hurlers were getting 20 games a year at division 1 standard then I guarantee that you would unearth more hurlers for the county teams

theskull1

I just don't understand what management thought they we going to get from their 2 man inside forward line yesterday. I can understand the reason why they wanted to pack the defense a bit more, but what they left up front was two players who don't possess a turn of speed to threaten any full back line. Paul Sheilds is a class act, but is just too young and physically underdeveloped for this level of hurling and corner forward is not a position he would ever thrive in at any level. Brian McFall has never had a turn of pace. What did the management expect?

The big problem however is the level of expectation set by Sambo and Woody. And for these expectations to be backed up by some of the players, shows how delusional the whole set up must be although I'm sure many of the players just don't buy it. Of course we would all love it to be the case, but the rest of us are living on a different world....it is called the real world. Set some realistic goals (not just County team specific, but broader than that) that are achievable but require hard work to achieve and then progress can be made. But for that to happen, Sambo would have to admit that he was wrong about the potential that exists at the current time and that improvements in Antrim hurling is indeed a much tougher and multifaceted problem that needs addressed at all levels before some level of progress will be seen at a national level. The chances of that happening are very slight. I expect the same rhetoric in the weeks and months to come.

Agree with your comments millltown...there is too little hurling being played yet we wonder why the talent is not there :-\. But try telling that to those in power :(
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Ruairi Og exile

Syd the Sailor...you asked yesterday how did Stewart play at full forward & McKeegan play at half forward, then today you said that 'McManus was swinging back the whole time & Tennyson gave him his medicine back  ??? so where you at the match or wot??

I agree Neil did slap a few boys & probably deserved a slap, probably a frustration of playing Full Forward in the second half, he shouldnt be played there cos aint a forward!!!

Arthur_Friend

Well, I was at the match and I can tell you Syd and the Skull were spot on in their analysis. McManus was pushing his luck and got his medicine. Anyway..the whole performance was a disgrace, Antrim almost unbelievably actually seem to have regressed since last year.
How on earth do KilKenny men come out of a scramble for the ball while antrim men fumble around them. This happened time and time again. The match was a chore to watch, certainly not worth the 8 quid. Still, at least I got a 'free' ticket to win ..another ticket for the real draw. What the f*uck is that all about?

Syd The Sailor

Quote from: Ruairi Og exile on March 26, 2007, 05:36:35 PM
Syd the Sailor...you asked yesterday how did Stewart play at full forward & McKeegan play at half forward, then today you said that 'McManus was swinging back the whole time & Tennyson gave him his medicine back  ??? so where you at the match or wot??

I agree Neil did slap a few boys & probably deserved a slap, probably a frustration of playing Full Forward in the second half, he shouldnt be played there cos aint a forward!!!

I wasnt at the match but my scouts were and i think it was fair comment what i said by all accounts. Mc Manus is still too young, he is a prime case of someone suffering from burnout if they ask him to do too much.

Vlad The Impaler

I didnt see any post match comment attributed to Terry Mc Naughton, maybe he just has a soundbite when they win. I also think that in recognition of the 200th anniversary of the abolition of slavery he should change his nickname from  "Sambo" to something in keeping with these more tolerant times.

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: Syd The Sailor on March 26, 2007, 08:44:49 PM

I wasnt at the match but my scouts were and i think it was fair comment what i said by all accounts. Mc Manus is still too young, he is a prime case of someone suffering from burnout if they ask him to do too much.

We'll let you off with it this time Syd. Though you sound like a fair weather fan to me.

Syd The Sailor

Quote from: Arthur_Friend on March 27, 2007, 08:59:51 AM

We'll let you off with it this time Syd. Though you sound like a fair weather fan to me.

I will be in Casement tomorrow night Artie, will you? You couldnt exactly call any Antrim supporter a glory hunter, lets hope Terry can rally the troops and get stuck into the Jackeens.

NAG

What do we think will be the team for wed night?

Can we see any improvement or is it actually going to be worse getting the same performance against a Dublin team that we were beating last year?

Syd The Sailor

Quote from: NAG on March 27, 2007, 09:16:09 AM
What do we think will be the team for wed night?

Can we see any improvement or is it actually going to be worse getting the same performance against a Dublin team that we were beating last year?

Well Dublin have improved immensely and we have just stayed at the same mediocre level. I think there will be changes in the forwards with Johhny Tosh probably coming in and maybe Paddy Richmond.

Tony Baloney

Syd either you are a big Antrim man or you aren't! Which is it?!  ;)

Syd The Sailor

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 27, 2007, 10:06:51 AM
Syd either you are a big Antrim man or you aren't! Which is it?!  ;)

Tony i have been monitoring your posts closely and you are full of crap, i have followed Antrim all over the country but am not gonna be blinded by all the rubbish Terry & Woody spouted at the start of the year. Ithink its obvious the experiment of playing U-14's at Senior Intercounty level is not working. I am currently on AA roadmap preparing for the trips to Carlow & Kildare next year.....