Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syd The Sailor

Quote from: Ruairi Og exile on March 25, 2007, 04:30:09 PM
Couldnt beliebe Kenin Elliott was kept on Brennan until 5 or 10 mins into the second when he was taken. Though Brennan was flying. Couldnt understand why they played the 3rd midfielder, every ball they played to the full forward line was picked by the spare man..the full back. Match was over when goal scored. Only 3 points from play, all from Michael Herron in the second half

How did Stewart play at full forward and Mc Keegan at half forward?
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

Ruairi Og exile

Karl stewart was moved to wing half forward at start & karl to midfield, both were pretty poor. Full back line was working overtime & improved as match went on, johnny campbell done ok in first half but roasted in 2nd half...why is he on??

slow corner back

K Elliot got a knock after 10 mins and limped from then on until he was replaced 10 mins into the second half. Brennan was destroying him before the injury having scored 1-2 from play in the first 10 mins. After 20 mins I heard elliot ask the physio if he could come off as he was limping badly but he was kept on Brennan until 10 mins after half time. Very strange decision. Also the two man full forward line did not stand a chance. Jackie Tyrell and Noel Hickey the corner men and a huge full back sweeping behind cleaned up everything.

Baile an tuaigh

Jim Mc Keirnan Paul Mc Killen

The Truth

I think we saw today the folly of playing fellas just out of minor, Mc Manus was manhandled and hardly got a touch nor did Shields. Kilkenny were never out of 3rd gear. Can anyone tell me that they see any difference this year in Antrim compared to other years?
"We serve neither King nor Kaiser"

Syd The Sailor

Someone told me there is a young fella Burke from St Galls is a sub for Antrim seniors and is also a sub for St Galls seniors and is yet to play for them !! Are Sambo and Woody taking the piss or what? Im all for giving youth a chance but that is ridiculous if its true.

Ruairi Og exile

Aye cant believe that Sean Burke is on the panel now, seen him last year for the minors & he was poor enough. Neil should have been moved to midfield, he's not a forward. Kilkenny just coasted it after the first 10 minutes.

slow corner back

After watching today I really think its not doing the young guys any favours keeping them in there. Shiels and McManus didnt get a look in. Much more of this and their confidence will be shot to ribbons. Does anyone know what the story is with Paddy Richmond and Johnny Tosh. Are they fit and if they are why are they not involved?

Ruairi Og exile

Paddy Richmond hurt his ribs in training during the week, dont know about Tosh, I presume he's only returning from his operation. They are badly missed.Where was Pinky today, was he even a sub??

Syd The Sailor

Quote from: slow corner back on March 25, 2007, 09:14:11 PM
After watching today I really think its not doing the young guys any favours keeping them in there. Shiels and McManus didnt get a look in. Much more of this and their confidence will be shot to ribbons. Does anyone know what the story is with Paddy Richmond and Johnny Tosh. Are they fit and if they are why are they not involved?

I agree with you about Mc Manus and Shields being done no favours, they are not ready for this level of hurling, Tosh is still working his way back to full fitness after a groin operation,he was a sub today but never got on, Glenariffe were playing Kilmacud Crokes this weekend in a friendly in Dublin, i think the Antrim Management would have been better served letting him play that to work on his fitness. What good did it do him today not getting on? But then it seems there are more questions than answers with the current Antrim set up.....

Ruairi Og exile

Glenariffe were going on a piss up..it would have hardly have helped much. I think some of their selections(sambo&woody) are baffling.

Syd The Sailor

Quote from: Ruairi Og exile on March 25, 2007, 09:33:18 PM
Glenariffe were going on a piss up..it would have hardly have helped much. I think some of their selections(sambo&woody) are baffling.

How did it help scratching his nuts today? If he isnt fit enough yet dont name him on the panel, if he is fit put him on. Tosh isnt much of a man for the drink anyway, some of his county colleagues could teach him a thing or two in that regard......

theskull1

Quote from: slow corner back on March 25, 2007, 09:14:11 PM
After watching today I really think its not doing the young guys any favours keeping them in there. Shiels and McManus didnt get a look in. Much more of this and their confidence will be shot to ribbons.

Totally agree SCB. Its just too much too soon for these lads. They need time to develop ffs.

Regarding Antrim and their performance, it was hardly a surprise to any of us was it? We are where we are..... out of out depth in Div1. Of course we'll catch the odd team on the hop but the reality is we just don't have the players to compete at this level. Plenty of endeavour but that is it. I feel sorry for the players because they have been talked up into something that they are not by the current management. And for Karl McKeegan to come out and say that he thinks that Antrim could win an all ireland within 4 years is up there with the dinnism's of the past. On what grounds did he base that prediction on? Is it not time for us to put a bit more focus on our local competitions for a few years and accept where we are on a national level? Until we develop strong players through the club leagues there is no point trying to "force" county success at the expense of those club competitions, which we have been doing for years.

Have to say I thought KK were sublime today. Theiy were very strong running with the ball and their support play was very impressive. They may not have had the best of NHL's but I think they are pacing themselves right for later in the year. My tip for the AI this year.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

maxpower

dissapointing performance alright yesterday, not for two minutes had thecrowd reason to be involved.

I could understand the theory o Ciaran Herron bein used in front of a full back line, but the reality was he didn't influene the play at all from this position, mainly because of how well KK used the ball and opened up the wings.  The cross field ball and movement of the fll forward line for Eddie Brennans goal was excellent and at times it was a joy to watch.

In contrast Antrim played every ball down the throat of Brian Hogan at full back, he'll have few easier halfs of hurling than he had in Ballycastle.  Our corner forwards were poor from play but really what chance had they. 

Antrim made a lot of basic mistakes, mishit clearances, hand passes to nobody etc. 

I'm dissapointed Antrim look like going to Div 2 next year, esp since its Dunloy's centenary and where Cushendall had Tipp, Ballycastle had Kilkenny we'll prob get Armagh/Derry/Wicklow.  No disrespect to those counties but not exactly a glamour tie.  I also have a big fear that this lack of success in NHL will lead to more and more training and emphasis being placed on county training, club fixtures could suffer.  though  hope common sense prevails
What happens next????

theskull1

Did anyone else think that McManus was a dirty wee hoor yesterday and full deserved the dunt that he got in the second half? He was early on almost every dropping ball. Alot to learn if he thought he could rough up an experienced KK side at senior level and not expect the same medicine for his actions.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera