Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

The Dall seniors had a handy enough win against our lads on saturday, 7 points or so in the end.

We just didn't have enough firepower up the park to bother their defense. when we did look to trouble them they were able to get the scores up the other end to keep the margin comfortable.

On a positive note for us we'd a young lad of 17 in the corner forward berth who took some nice scores from play but was starved of the ball for a greater part of the game as our half forwards didn't function at all which will be a major concern for us. Stickwork for us was poor

I'd also say they were missing half a dozen of their starting line-up if not more from their AI semi.

youngfella

Quote from: Minder on April 14, 2009, 06:22:00 PM
Youngfella why would Nander Campbell need "financial support"? By this do you mean he wanted paid to take them? If so they did right to hunt him.

You have me wrong. nander and co didnt want paying, from what i heard he wanted to bring in an outside coach to the take the training every other week or too stop things from get boring and routine. He simply wanted the coach to be looked after a bit by the club. I think also wanted the club to provide sandwiches and soup for the lads after training.  Not really a big ask, just looking after the lads.

Quote from: maxpower on April 15, 2009, 09:59:12 AM
Ballycastle have certainly lost a bit of a 'physical edge' since they lost players like the Maybins, Terence Kinney etc but they have some decent hurlers, problem seems to be they keep losing their best players or they continue to play but don't seem to adopt an 'athletic lifestyle'

Ryan Donnelly and Septhen McGarry where both fine young players and had they hit the hieghts their talent suggested it could have made a big difference.  But the town still have a decent team and when on form can cause a shock or too

I agree they miss someone with kind of fight that the maybins took to the game a bit of anger.
Pull hard and early

Last Man

Get the lads to pay a £1 per session, that would cover a few cans of soup and loaves of bread. It might also go towards a weekend away for the team which the club might put the rest to. Cant see the need for bringing in other coaches to ease the boredom?? Would've thought between the 3 of those fellas, they could run a good session.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: youngfella on April 15, 2009, 02:23:19 PM
Quote from: Minder on April 14, 2009, 06:22:00 PM
Youngfella why would Nander Campbell need "financial support"? By this do you mean he wanted paid to take them? If so they did right to hunt him.

You have me wrong. nander and co didnt want paying, from what i heard he wanted to bring in an outside coach to the take the training every other week or too stop things from get boring and routine. He simply wanted the coach to be looked after a bit by the club. I think also wanted the club to provide sandwiches and soup for the lads after training.  Not really a big ask, just looking after the lads.

Quote from: maxpower on April 15, 2009, 09:59:12 AM
Ballycastle have certainly lost a bit of a 'physical edge' since they lost players like the Maybins, Terence Kinney etc but they have some decent hurlers, problem seems to be they keep losing their best players or they continue to play but don't seem to adopt an 'athletic lifestyle'

Ryan Donnelly and Septhen McGarry where both fine young players and had they hit the hieghts their talent suggested it could have made a big difference.  But the town still have a decent team and when on form can cause a shock or too

I agree they miss someone with kind of fight that the maybins took to the game a bit of anger.
Surely the players would benefit more from a sustained buildup in their training regime to get reach their peak after a few months. How do this work if you are rotating coaches every few weeks, all bringing their own style and drills, some of which may counteract work done previously.

Sounds like a lot of shit to me and Nander etc. had lined up a few mates for a jolly boys outing every fortnight. As most others posters have indicated, the trick to the Town making any inroads is to keep the players on the training ground and out of the pub. People have been saying that for about 20 years!

Minder

Quote from: hardstation on April 15, 2009, 08:41:57 PM
Rossa 1-12
Glenariffe 3-09

One that Rossa threw away. Leading 1-08 to 0-02 after about 20 minutes. Hit about 10 soft wides in that time too. Then stopped and Glenariffe came into it.
Jim Connolly sent off for a stupid pull across Glenariffe defender, near the end. Nothing between the ears just.

That was about the height of it, once Gettens started to get to grips with Hamill Rossa dont have too many others to help with the scoring. Connollys pull was daft, you could see it coming a mile off and right in front of Tommy Mc Intyre. We had about 5 fellas dropped for beig pissed at the weekend but all came on at some stage. Seamy Doherty/Mc Donnell made a big difference when he came on. Kettle did rightly on Tosh but he still ended up with about 1-5. Good win when it looked like a heavy defeat in the first half.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

the colonel

i wouldnt be too sure about the whole ballycastle thing. i thought nander had already turned down the job before hand. the other two would have enough on their plates with managing bellaghy/ playing for linfield along with all the school activities.
the difference between success and failure is energy

milltown row

don't think that the Johnnies game went ahead. i see the gorts game wasn't played also..

Hardstation i thought the Rossa were going strong, Jim got a straight red? obviously Glenariffe were holding back in the UHL game.

milltown row

Closey is injured, seen him at our pitch (broken foot) wee rocky back playing? not in england?  aye we played them the other year, winning first half but they came back at us. your leaking goals also

girt_giggler

Was it cold enough for ye in Feystown last night Milltown?  Jeez but we were brutal!

SASLinger

Quote from: girt_giggler on April 16, 2009, 08:10:31 AM
Was it cold enough for ye in Feystown last night Milltown?  Jeez but we were brutal!

Miltown must have come across Google Earth or someone bought him a Sat Nav.
Same Aul Shoite - just from a different bucket mouth!

milltown row

Quote from: girt_giggler on April 16, 2009, 08:10:31 AM

thought you were alright. the wind was serious and blowing down the pitch. had yas won the toss could have been a different result. Darren Hamill is a quality player and your wee corner back in the first half was a goodin.

thought yous went for goals way to early. had ya knocked over 7/8 points (easily given i thought ;)) the game could have ended up a lot tighter

the colonel

Antrim hurlers have several injury worries ahead of their vital promotion battle against Offaly at Tullamore.

Midfielder Paul Shiels has been ruled out for several weeks with a groin injury while Johnny Campbell is rated very doubtful with a hamstring injury.

Karl McKeegan (back), Paddy Richmond (back) and Kieran Kelly (hand) are struggling to be fit for the Saffrons.

Campbell, McKeegan and Kelly have been named in the starting line-up but they may not play in the fixture.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Antrim NHL: C O'Connell; C McGourty, C Donnelly, A Graffin; C Herron, J Campbell, K McKeegan; B Herron, PJ O'Connell; S Delargy, N McManus, K Stewart; J Scullion, K Kelly, S McNaughton
the difference between success and failure is energy

JamesH

Campell, Mc Keegan, and Kelly have no chance of playing. We are depleted this weekend no doubt, the Doc's at congress so imagine the injured lads getting a jab from him come Sunday after 3 days on the piss. Their could be room for Paddy Doc , although mabye John a better option.

milltown row

this is a bigger match than the Dublin game IMO. we need to win and get a run out in Croke park in the div 2 final. would set us nicely for the Dublin game.

shame about the injuries but gives opportunities for the rest.

Offaly are physically bigger than us right up the middle with only McManus of the same stature

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: milltown row on April 17, 2009, 12:21:30 PM
this is a bigger match than the Dublin game IMO. we need to win and get a run out in Croke park in the div 2 final. would set us nicely for the Dublin game.

shame about the injuries but gives opportunities for the rest.

Offaly are physically bigger than us right up the middle with only McManus of the same stature

MR..the Division 2 final is in Thurles.