Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: slow corner back on April 05, 2009, 02:48:25 PM
Is that the final score two hands? Good result alright and a pleasant surprise :)
Dont think you would class that as a "surprise",Laois are not going well and Antrim were 1/2 with bookies to win.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

slow corner back

Considering the last three results it is a very pleasant surprise. Dont go runing down Laois just because Antrim beat them

Minder

Quote from: slow corner back on April 05, 2009, 03:16:22 PM
Considering the last three results it is a very pleasant surprise. Dont go runing down Laois just because Antrim beat them
Who is "running them down"? Are we not allowed to say a team isnt going well? Are the bookies also running them down for making Antrim heavy favourites in an away game?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

slow corner back

Laois and Antrim have been neck and neck for the last five years, as for the bookies they had Mon Mone at 100-1 for the grand national!

slow corner back

From the county website

Antrim withstood a spirited comeback by Laois to record their third win in Division 2 of the National Hurling League at O'Moore Park, Portlaoise.
Leading by thirteen points at one stage, and by nine at half-time, (after having had the use of a stiff breeze) Antrim were severely tested in the final minutes as the home side closed to within two scores, and it took a fantastic save by goalkeeper Chris O'Connell and a last gasp block by defender Neil McAuley to deny Laois.
Antrim made a great start when Neil McManus and Karl Stewrt grabbed goals and with Paul Shiels superb at midfield they went on to dominate, Shiels scoring directly from a sideline 'cut', from long range frees and from play.
When they pulled thirteen points clear there seemed no way they would be troubled, but Laois closed the gap to nine by the interval, thanks to some fine scores from James Young.
  The Saffrons appeared to switch off during the second half as Young led his team's comeback, and when they closed to within two goals there were a few anxious moments for the visitors.
However the defence held firm to secure a much needed win, a result which keeps a league final place a possibility if they can beat offaly in Tullamore in their last game in two weeks time.
ANTRIM – Chris O'Connell, Ciaran McGourty, Cormac Donnelly, Arran Graffin, Karl McKeegan, Johnny Campbell, Neil McAuley, Paul Shiels, Brendan Herron, Karl Stewart, Neil McManus, Sean Delargy, Shane McNaughton, Kieran Kelly, Joey Scullion.
Subs – PJ O'Connell for Shane McNaughton; Michael Herron for Kiearan Kelly

Good result away from home, Offaly will undubtedly be tougher but at least we are going there with something to play for.
No Paddy Richmond or Ryan McGarry involved are they both still suspended?

clootfromthe21

Very impressive first half display from Antrim. Karl Stewart took his goal very well and Antrim coasted to a 1-13 to 0-7 half time lead. Some great scores for points. Shorty hits a mean sideline cut, at least one of which went for a point, but the distance and loft was impressive.

Neil McManus got a goal a couple of minutes into the second half and the game looked over but Laois rallied rightly with James Young and Willie Hyland very prominent. Antrim also got a bit sloppy e.g. Karl McKeegan took a 70 short to Shorty, who was penalised for being too close; a couple of flicks were tried on the ball that had they come off would have been spectacular but didn't and Laois profited; and a couple of short puc outs went pretty disasrously wrong. On that point, I don't know why Antrim bothered because, even against the wind O'Connell was getting considerable distance into them. You get the impression that, if Antrim had kept to the simple things, there would have been a more straightforward closing out of the game

Notwithstanding Antrim won by 6, the last 10 minutes were edgy enough stuff with the crowd coming in for the Under 21 football game beginning to get behind the home team - I was happy enough to hear the final whistle at the end of it.

Anyway, after a couple of ropey performances, it seemed as if the wheels are back on the wagon. The team seemed very up for the game (in the first half anyway) and for each other (not always a given with Antrim!).

I hear Wexford handed Offaly a bit of hiding, which makes things interesting for next week . . .

slow corner back

They have been at a lot of that short passing stuff all year, seems like a gameplan from watching them. Dont like it myself but I am old fashioned. Was there much of a crowd there Cloot?

clootfromthe21

Quote from: slow corner back on April 05, 2009, 04:56:45 PM
They have been at a lot of that short passing stuff all year, seems like a gameplan from watching them. Dont like it myself but I am old fashioned. Was there much of a crowd there Cloot?

Would figure there was a couple of hundred max at throw in. There was a bit of a shout alright for the Antrim goals, but I didn't see many at all. The main stand filled up throughout the second half as people came in for the football game.

clootfromthe21

Quote from: slow corner back on April 05, 2009, 04:56:45 PM

Sorry, meant to say as well in the previous post.

Laois played a two man full forward line with the spare man between their full and half back lines, so the short puc out was actually on a lot more than it was used. It was only really tried a couple of times - to be honest O'Connell's puc outs, even against the wind, were (with one or two exceptions) very strong. However, I can't recall one occasion where it worked "like clockwork", a couple of times when it worked with difficulty and one particular time which was a shocker and ended up with an easy Laois score.

On the other hand, Laois used the tactic quite well, particularly in the first half.

imtommygunn

We now have three defenders in thr forward line :o

Sambo and Woody's minor team always did a lot of short passing. Seems to be their approach/ I think the thinking is we don't play quick enough so if we move the ball out of trouble by short passing we'll not be bottled up so much...

NAG

That the problem why we get bottled up so much is because of the short passing, look at Galway yesterday any of their shorter passes were direct and cross field and not under 30-40 yards.

slow corner back

I tend to agree with NAG we may improve as the year goes on but currently our short passing is very laboured and gets us into trouble against Div 2 opposition. As the opposition improves so will the tackling from them. Hopefully the bright nights will bring it on a bit

milltown row

Karl Stewart got 2-6 Groundlie, who else can S&W bring into the game?

clootfromthe21

Quote from: milltown row on April 06, 2009, 02:09:24 PM
Karl Stewart got 2-6 Groundlie, who else can S&W bring into the game?

1-6 Milltown - though I take your point. The one goal he did get though was excellently taken.

milltown row

sorry cloot, mis heard info in club yesterday.

so who can Sambo bring into the squad?  will he look at players once the season starts or stick with the players he has already?